Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What exactly is a final price drop?

Sean

I must be very lucky. Advertised 15 or so high and low-ticket items earlier this year, most of which sold at or around the original asking price. Only one guy got into serious (yet friendly) haggling but he made it worth my while by multi-buying three separately advertised items.

If gear isn't shifting it's either because (i) there's no current demand for that item or (ii) because potential buyers don't value it as highly as does the seller. Opening above the market average then rapidly following up with a series of price drops just encourages potential buyers to wait - and who can blame them?

Better to open with an 'attractive' price then hold one's ground, discounting very slowly. Mind you, this doesn't really work if one's in a hurry. :)

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1410945505' post='2554846']
This there are plenty of low ball chancers on here now we all try to get a tiny bit off or do a deal but some times you get some idiot trying to offer you about half of what the bass is worth I don't know why this seems to be a trend now on BC as it didn't used to be that way.But with prices I only ever lower to the lowest I am willing to go I would rather keep my stuff than give it away as neepheid pointed out earlier about selling on gumtree and the like I agree it is much easier to sell on there than BC which is a shame really as it is nice dealing with other members and keeping an instrument in the fold so to speak
[/quote]

There also seems to be a trend, maybe from the same people, to push for a lower price and then once it's agreed they bail out and stop replying. Maybe they just enjoy haggling for the sake of it, seems a bit of a waste of time to me :(

We're all individuals, and when we try to sell (or buy) something - that individualism shines through. Everyone does things differently.

It's what makes buying (and, to a lesser extent - selling) on here such an [b][i]interesting[/i][/b] experience. For example, there is a bass currently for sale that I used to own, and sold on here a while back. It has been through several owners since, and is currently for sale for nearly 50% more than I let it go for. Who's the fool? :huh:

If you don't like the price, you don't have to buy. What's so complicated about that? :)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1410963289' post='2555093']
If you don't like the price, you don't have to buy. What's so complicated about that? :)
[/quote]

It's not the price I was questioning just the wording and what it means.

The advantage of ebay is that it is auction based, so there is a deadline on the buyer's side to put a bid in, and from the seller's side there is an encouragement to start the bidding low in order to reap the rewards of a bidding war!!

Basschat market place is great and I have bought and sold a lot of items, but it can definitely be a harder sell as it works the other way round - as a seller you want to get a decent price so you start high and drop it until it reaches its saleable price.

Lots of items I see start much too high (almost rrp) so I'm not surprised there are lots of price drops. There are some good prices to be had though, luckilly for me my GAS seems to have evaporated over the past 6 months...

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1411647655' post='2561503']
Lots of items I see start much too high (almost rrp) so I'm not surprised there are lots of price drops.
[/quote]

Indeed. I recently saw a s/h item advertised for £60 with no indication as to whether this included shipping costs. The same item is available from retailers new for £69 with free shipping.

No contest.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1411648389' post='2561512']
I think that's what's known as a 'Dutch auction'.

Just sayin' :)
[/quote]

I have learn't something new today :)
I stumbled across a terrible shopping channel that used this method - Price Drop TV? It was truly awful… :sorry:

I am a magpie gear whore and as such, buy and sell far too much. :blush: :blush:

I rarely drop a price when selling. This is because I always sell gear at a price that I think is fair to both buyer and myself.
Recently I have found that Gumtree and Facebook have worked better, simply because I can offer them cheaper than FEEBay, and there isn't as much quality opposition as there is on Basschat :D

Final price drop to me (with respect) is for those who NEED to sell, or perhaps were a little optimistic to start with.
Just an opinion.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1410891447' post='2554430']
I think that BC is fast becoming the place to buy but not necessarily the place to sell....
[/quote]

Definitely. I buy and sell quite a few items. I've had far more success off eBay and Gumtree than I have on BC for selling. Maybe the players on BC know what something is worth and won't budge on their estimations. (Very much like Wenger's transfer policies..).