Why become a member? ×

Sharay Reed vs Pino Palladino.

bubinga5

Yes this sounds like a TalkBass thread, but all i was wondering was (if you have heard and aware of both bassists) what is your preference.

Neither slap a lot, both great finger style bassist's, both play amazing notes, both have fantastic technique.

For me its Pino. just because of his history, his taste in playing.. its a hard one, because of Sharay's groove. but Pino can groove.

I'm really interested to hear peoples thoughts on these masters.

Edited by bubinga5

Really?

Look at their credits, there's your answer. I don't get all the hype about Sharay Reed.He's a decent player, but I wouldn't
go much further. Pino's history, and the fact that he reinvented himself and still gets called 30 years later,puts him in a different
league to Sharay.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1407600929' post='2522231']
Really?

Look at their credits, there's your answer. I don't get all the hype about Sharay Reed.He's a decent player, but I wouldn't
go much further. Pino's history, and the fact that he reinvented himself and still gets called 30 years later,puts him in a different
league to Sharay.
[/quote] I'm aware of there credits.

My point is who do prefer to listen to. being so similar, but very different some may see. i think you sell Sharay Reed short Doddy.

Pino for me. He's such a versatile player and can jump in to any situation and do exactly what is needed.

Also his fretless work is stunning.

And he's a Cardiff boy which always helps :P

In seriousness, Sharay Reed knows how to groove for R&B type stuff, but I couldn't see him making such leaps in styles that Pino can (unless I'm missing some of Sharay's work in which case I apologise)

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1407605344' post='2522295']
i feel like the middle man at my own crap party, just waiting for me other mates. :D Online scrabble.?
[/quote]

Xylophone on a triple word score and a load of other bonus bits and bobs...I think I win :)

im a big Pino fan but to say that Sharay Reed is an "alright player" is pretty bizarre.. of course this is down to taste. i would say he's one of the most technically gifted players alive today. different horses and all. :)

Edited by bubinga5

For me they both have a very strong sense of rhythm and that is where the similarities stop. Pino is quite a mellow bass player and very articulate, where as what I've seen of Sharay, he is more of a chop buster.

Personally I enjoy seeing both of them excel in their own strengths. If I had to choose someone to do a session with it would be Pino, though only because I think i have more in common with him than Sharay.

Pino. He and Jamerson are the ONLY players I've ever wanted to be. I want to play like many others but to have their careers is what I dream of! Pino is just about the most versatile bass player alive and his groove is incredible! Just look at his John Mayer trio work!

I think it's a bit strange to ask which bassist (or any musician really) you prefer when I suspect the answer is likely to be largely determined by the type of music they play and whether you like it or not.

I love Pino's recent stuff with John Mayer (among other things) but I doubt that would mean I'd love to hear him playing rap.

In other words, I don't really care how good a player is if they're not playing stuff I like. And why would I?

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1407622099' post='2522481']
I think it's a bit strange to ask which bassist (or any musician really) you prefer when I suspect the answer is likely to be largely determined by the type of music they play and whether you like it or not.

I love Pino's recent stuff with John Mayer (among other things) but I doubt that would mean I'd love to hear him playing rap.

In other words, I don't really care how good a player is if they're not playing stuff I like. And why would I?
[/quote]I can`t stand Michael Jackson`s stuff, but i sure can appreciate some of the bass lines. I would switch the radio off if he any of his songs were on, but now i just listen to the bass line and shut the rest out. So i can appreciate a good player, even if i hate the type of music. I hate reggae, but can appreciate the musicianship.

I will concede that liking a player over another influences which one you would prefer to listen to. It is all subjective. Rush, being one of the most over rated bands in my opinion, for example. There was a poll that put Neil Peart as the best ever drummer. I would say that he isn`t in the same league as Buddy Rich. Is Clapton or Hendrix (who was voted best ever guitarist) better than Al Di Meola? Is Geddy Lee better than James Jamerson. An NME poll puts Kim Deal in the top 40, but Geddy Lee doesn`t feature at all. http://www.nme.com/photos/40-of-the-greatest-bassists-of-all-time-picked-by-nme-readers/345517/1/1#2 At the end of the day, it is more of a popularity thing, as Jeff Berlin, who is very boring, but probably better than 90% of the bassists featured, doesn`t get a mention.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1407606406' post='2522308']Sharay Reed ... i would say he's one of the most technically gifted players alive today.[/quote]

That's the sort of phrase you'll only ever hear from a guitarist. I find it quite frustrating. Not the content of the phrase - it means nothing at all to anyone including the writer - it's frustrating that it even gets introduced into a conversation.

What does 'technically gifted' mean? And how large a set of technically gifted people are you including him in? Which technical challenges do you imagine him surmounting and which players do you believe would not be able to do the same?

Hmph.

I wonder if engineering forums ever argue about the relative artistic gifts of men and women who design sewer systems.

Edited by thisnameistaken

I have no interest in which one is the best. However I frequently watch the video of Sharay at the church jam session.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pATcvr3zAhg

and frequently watch PIno in a few of his videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktyhXq00RxQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFgFFNXahcg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgtqD_zyGPw

Edited by icastle
Links Fixed.

Both are fantastic players, personally I go for Pino for his early work with Gary Numan and Paul Young still keeps me picking up a fretless bass 30 something years after those bass lines first blew me away, can I play them properly yet......nope but I keep trying.

Maybe Sharay's bass work will inspire today's aspiring bassists for the next 30 years and onwards

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1407626773' post='2522509']
I will concede that liking a player over another influences which one you would prefer to listen to. It is all subjective. Rush, being one of the most over rated bands in my opinion, for example. There was a poll that put Neil Peart as the best ever drummer. I would say that he isn`t in the same league as Buddy Rich. Is Clapton or Hendrix (who was voted best ever guitarist) better than Al Di Meola? Is Geddy Lee better than James Jamerson. An NME poll puts Kim Deal in the top 40, but Geddy Lee doesn`t feature at all. [url="http://www.nme.com/photos/40-of-the-greatest-bassists-of-all-time-picked-by-nme-readers/345517/1/1#2"]http://www.nme.com/p...rs/345517/1/1#2[/url] At the end of the day, it is more of a popularity thing, as Jeff Berlin, who is very boring, but probably better than 90% of the bassists featured, doesn`t get a mention.
[/quote]

Yep, it's all about popularity really. I don't mean that in a pejorative way because what else really matters? If you don't actually like the end result of someone's time/effort/skill/whatever, whether they be an musician, a painter, a writer, an actor, a winemaker, or whatever, then they haven't connected with you and the whole exercise is pointless. To you.

That's not to say their endeavours are not of value to anyone else, just not to you.

Agreed. TBH I was a bit surprised about the 'female bassist' thread as I thought we'd moved beyond that sort of irrelevance. Would a thread about favourite black bassists go down well? Or how about favourite bassists under 5 ft tall? Or favourite cross-dressing Korean bassists? Er, hang on . . . . .