Why become a member? ×

Family-Roger Chapman

basscell

Family love

I've had phases of great love for Family. But, after a while, being 'educated' and all, I wouldn't touch them.

Recently I've spent a day or two going through their music and, shortcomings notwithstanding, I'm a convinced fan.

Anyone else likes Family & Roger Chapman?

[quote name='basscell' timestamp='1407538126' post='2521705']
What about [b]Bandstand? [/b]That was a great album. By the way, I saw a few clips of their 2013 reunion, not bad at all.
[/quote]
Bandstand was a return to form after a few hit and miss albums but with only Chapman and Whitney left from the line-up of that great debut LP of four years previous.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1407538536' post='2521714']
Bandstand was a return to form after a few hit and miss albums but with only Chapman and Whitney left from the line-up of that great debut LP of four years previous.
[/quote]

True, but after such a debut even a few hit and miss albums can be forgiven, if I'm not mistaken, Music in a D. is still the greatest rock debut album.

Saw them many times, back then. One could be sure that, if they were billed, one would not be disappointed. Excellent, musically, poetically, with superb showmanship... Right up there at the top; very much under-rated, both at the time and since, imo.

Yep, Chapman is my all time hero. Been a fan since my brother sent me to the shop to buy "The Weaver's Answer", when I was around thirteen. Never saw family the first time round as I was only 16 and living in the depths of Shropshire, so getting to somewhere like Birmingham to see them was not going to happen.

However saw Streetwalkers about half a dozen times, "Roger Chapman and the Shortlist about thirty times (so far), and the reformed Family three times so far.

If anybody's interested The Shortlist are playing The Robin II on 17th September, and the "Y theatre" in Leicester 12th December, and the Norwich Blues festival at some point.

More Info available at WWW.Chappo.com .

Thoroughly recommend trying to see them if you can.

Edited by Count Bassy

[quote name='basscell' timestamp='1407539575' post='2521724']
You saw them live? Did you see the reunion concerts?
[/quote]

'Twas easy back in the early '70s; they were present at many festivals and concerts, along with many other half-forgotten groups. Traffic..? The Nice..? Gryphon..? The list is long. Reunion..? I didn't know there was one, and, although I can still squat on the floor with the best of 'em, I can no longer get up again afterwards..! :blush:[size=4] [/size][size=4] My concert-going days are largely over, I fear. Still, I have the memories. Now, where did I put my keys..? :rolleyes:[/size]

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cTp5xwAl58"]https://www.youtube....h?v=5cTp5xwAl58[/url]

For those that haven't yet enjoyed.
[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1407542933' post='2521745']
Yep, Chapman is my all time hero. Been a fan since my brother sent me to the shop to buy "The Weaver's Answer", when I was around thirteen. Never saw family the first time round as I was only 16 and living in the depths of Shropshire, so getting to somewhere like Birmingham to see them was not going to happen.

However saw Streetwalkers about half a dozen times, "Roger Chapman and the Shortlist about thirty times (so far), and the reformed Family three times so far.

If anybody's interested The Shortlist are playing The Robin II on 17th September, and the "Y theatre" in Leicester 12th December, and the Norwich Blues festival at some point.

More Info available at WWW.Chappo.com .

Thoroughly recommend trying to see them if you can.
[/quote]

Will check Shortlist, but, Be My Friend, In the Wintertime, See through the windows,Take your time.

Edited by basscell

Ah, Dad, I'm with you there. I saw them a few times in the early '70's and was lucky enough to get to meet them back stage at the Greens Playhouse in Glasgow.

Rodger Chapman was a real gent and introduced me and my mate to the band and took time to answer all our teenage questions.

The next time I saw them, John Wetton was on bass and he was amazing. Again , we got back stage and I managed to shake John's hand before the bouncers chucked me out. As we stood outside in the alley by the stage door, on their way out, Chapman and Wetton stopped to say sorry about the manhandling and signed our programmes. That mean a lot to a star struck teen fan.

Happy days.

Edited by Bassman Sam

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1407543418' post='2521747']
'Twas easy back in the early '70s; they were present at many festivals and concerts, along with many other half-forgotten groups. Traffic..? The Nice..? Gryphon..? The list is long. Reunion..? I didn't know there was one, and, although I can still squat on the floor with the best of 'em, I can no longer get up again afterwards..! :blush:[size=4] My concert-going days are largely over, I fear. Still, I have the memories. Now, where did I put my keys..? :rolleyes:[/size]
[/quote]

This is worth getting up and your keys are in your right hand :) Please listen to The Music In A Dolls House, Its reputation just gets und das ist eine grosse kunstwerke, und there have been many blue yesterdays. Seriously, I've heard it for the first time in years, and my usual listening material are Ton Koopman or Andras Schiff, but this is poetry.

Edited by basscell

[quote name='basscell' timestamp='1407544900' post='2521755']
This is worth getting up and your keys are in your right hand :) Please listen to The Music In The Dolls House, Its reputation just gets und das ist eine grosse kunstwerke, und there have been many blue yesterdays. Seriously, I've heard it for the first time in years, and my usual listening material are Ton Koopman or Andras Schiff, but this is poetry.
[/quote]

I'll just sharpen up a new bamboo needle and put the platter on. Nice call; I've not listened to 'em for a while, either. Thanks for the keys; I need them to wind the phonograph. Cheers.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1407545618' post='2521764']
I'll just sharpen up a new bamboo needle and put the platter on. Nice call; I've not listened to 'em for a while, either. Thanks for the keys; I need them to wind the phonograph. Cheers.
[/quote]

Phonograph.

[quote name='basscell' timestamp='1407544900' post='2521755']
my usual listening material are Ton Koopman or Andras Schiff, but this is poetry.
[/quote]

Whoah! Careful with my heart! Never imagined anyone but me would mention Ton Koopman here on BC. I used to work for him over three decades ago - not that it is a much cherished experience, but I vividly remember how he reacted like stung by a wasp when I proposed he start a choir and call it Amsterdam Baroque Choir. The look in his eyes told me that that probably was exactly what he was planning, and that he strongly disliked the notion of me mentioning such an idea. :D

But back on topic: I must hear some Family. Back in the days they seemed to me like a nice band I'd certainly buy an album by "one day, but not today". This view may need some adjustment.

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='basscell' timestamp='1407538893' post='2521719']
True, but after such a debut even a few hit and miss albums can be forgiven, if I'm not mistaken, Music in a D. is still the greatest rock debut album.
[/quote]
Agreed. With such a superb debut like that it was always going to be a hard act to follow.

[quote name='basscell' timestamp='1407540729' post='2521738']
Always a mystery! Why Family was at least not as successful as ELP? A much inferior conglomeration of 'super musicians'.
[/quote]
I think that was the problem. When Grech left from the original line-up it was the beginning of the end despite the recruiting of established musicians on the rock scene.

There was a time when it seemed you could see Chapman and Whitney play in a pub every night of the week and seeing them at The Kensington many times i couldn't help thinking that these blokes should be playing big venues rather than a backstreet pub in the shadows of Olympia, West London.

I'm also surprised that on a bass forum that Ric Grech hasn't been mentioned more (especially in this thread) as he was such an important part of the line-up on those first two classic albums.

I love Family.
The first "proper" gig...ie by tickets ...go to large venue (De Montfort hall Leicester) was them in the early seventies .

I also saw them at a few festivals,and the streetwalkers later in the seventies.

Unlike most fans I actually really like "It's only a movie" .....just as much as Dolls house and Bandstand.

I saw Streetwalkers a couple of times in the mid 70's. Always a great live show. I think it was John Peel who got me into them and he played them quite a lot.

Used to love the Red Card album.

http://youtu.be/otB8qVbYyxE

Many years later my secretary told me that her boyfriend was a guitarist but that he wasn't very well known and that I wouldn't have heard of him. Turned out to be Charlie Whitney!

She said I was the first person she'd ever worked with who knew anything about Family and/or Streetwalkers. Never got to meet him though :(

[quote name='Raymondo' timestamp='1407578118' post='2521906']
I love Family.
The first "proper" gig...ie by tickets ...go to large venue (De Montfort hall Leicester) was them in the early seventies .

I also saw them at a few festivals,and the streetwalkers later in the seventies.

Unlike most fans I actually really like "It's only a movie" .....just as much as Dolls house and Bandstand.
[/quote]

There's something good in all their albums, every one has their favourites, but there isn't really a complete duffer. Even "Old Songs, New Songs" (half re-mixes & half new material for the uninitiated). Personally I really like a Song For Me, which often seems to get forgotten about. Some people slag off Anyway, but "Holding the Compass", and "Part of the Load" are both cracking.

I've mixed feelings about the 'reunion' Family (to say they'd reformed would be putting it too strongly). On one hand I've heard some of my favourite songs live for the first time, an they are all excellent musicians who work together really well.
On the other hand the family "reunion" is comprises Chapman himself, 3 ex family members, and 5 current Shortlist members.It can (to me ) feel more like the "Shortlist" with special (very special) guests, playing Family songs, obviously Chapman is there, as is Rob Townsend (but the Shortlist's drummer as well), and Poly Palmer, who was a key influence for a few years. Jim Cregan is there playing guitar, but he was only briefly in Family (and then played bass)....

If only Whitney had taken the bait ......., but he's happily living in Greece somewhere.

I'm a bit younger so I never had the chance to see them live. But I've listened to them a lot in my teens, in the eighties. And I had access to three albums: Music in the.., Bandstand and Song for me, which is really good I agree. I still must explore the rest now that I've rediscovered them.
They really should be better known.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1407570978' post='2521819']
Whoah! Careful with my heart! Never imagined anyone but me would mention Ton Koopman here on BC. I used to work for him over three decades ago - not that it is a much cherished experience, but I vividly remember how he reacted like stung by a wasp when I proposed he start a choir and call it Amsterdam Baroque Choir. The look in his eyes told me that that probably was exactly what he was planning, and that he strongly disliked the notion of me mentioning such an idea. :D

But back on topic: I must hear some Family. Back in the days they seemed to me like a nice band I'd certainly buy an album by "one day, but not today". This view may need some adjustment.
[/quote]

I saw Koopman maybe 10 years ago, back when I went to school in Amsterdam. It was in the concertgebouw, which was packed and I barely got tickets six months in advance. Bach cantatas, they were near the end of finishing the complete recordings. There are others, Suzuki, Herrewegh, Parrot, etc. but he's my favorite.

Chapman's voice is always going to be something of an 'acquired taste' but they did some good stuff in the 70's, I have a couple of Family/Chapamn related compliations on mp3 and a few family stand alone albums. I recall Fish on his radio show years back enthusing about when he eventually got to meet Chapman and was uncharacteristically starstruck having been a big fan.