Why become a member? ×

how to find the date of manufacture of a patrick eggle bass

kevpilk

does anyone know how to tell the yr of manufacture of a Patrick eggle bass , mine only has a four digit number on the back of the head stock, , which is the same as the number on the heel joint when I take the scratch plate off

Edited by kevpilk

I have a Milan bass and the serial number on the back of the headstock is M4 9-93-131.............the 93 part is the year of manufacture, but you mention removing a scratchplate so I'm assuming you don't have a Milan, maybe a New York? You could try joining this forum and asking [url="http://patrickeggleguitars.org/smf/"]http://patrickeggleguitars.org/smf/[/url] good luck, and show us some pictures!

I have a Patrick Eggle guitar from '93. I don't have it to hand right now but IIRC it's stamped on the back of the headstock as a 6-digit number (possibly followed by a 4-digit serial...?. If yours is a similar vintage you might try that...

Unfortunately the brand has had a few owners over the years so this may be no help at all. :unsure:

Hi Kev, thanks for your PM (and also to [i]rubis[/i], [i]MoonBassAlpha[/i] and [i]yorks5stringer[/i] for pointing you in my direction). Rather than answer the PM I thought it might be more useful to reply to this topic so that others might benefit ...

The company Patrick Eggle Guitars (PEG) changed the format of their serial numbers during different phases of the company's ownership and from early 1992 to September 1994 they used a format like MOD MM-YY NUM, which corresponds to the number given by [i]rubis[/i]: M4 9-93 131 i.e. Milan 4-string, issued September 1993, serial number 131 (of that model).

Then in June 1994 the company consolidated the serial numbers into one numerical sequence, beginning circa 6000 or 6100, instead of NUM ranges per model, yet they kept the format MOD MM-YY NUM until September 1994 when they dropped everything except NUM.

It seems you own a New York Bass 4 (the only 90's bass model with scratchplate – see [url="http://gadge.biz/95cat_13.htm"]this catalogue page[/url]) and, because it has a 4-digit serial number, it will be after 6000 / September 1994. If it's higher than 8000 then it's late 1995 onward ...

Hope that helps?

Edited by Gadge

Having been an enthusiast of the brand since 1991 and owner of many Eggles made between 91 and 97, as well as moderator of the official Patrick Eggle Guitars Forum (run by the current owners of Patrick Eggle Guitars, Gordon Tilley and family) 2003-2005 until they closed it down in July 2005, I created and hosted a replacement forum (see link in my sig) in August 2005 and it's been online ever since, now with over 2200 members – small fry compared to this forum but, I hope, as useful a resource.

You've so far avoided revealing your serial number and that's OK, especially since I can only estimate when it was made (within a few months either way). The only way to discover its build history with any accuracy is to write to [email protected] and ask if they have the manufacturing records. Note: they have a reputation for poor correspondence – let's hope that's improved these days!

@Gadge Bit OT I know (and with apologies to the OP), but what do you think of the current Patrick Eggle range? The reason I ask is that I got a look at their stand at last year's Birmingham Guitar Show (I'd got a free pass from Rob Williams - who worked for the company in the early days of course - for lending him the custom Tele he'd built me). I happened on them while wandering around the main floor and was quite surprised to even see them there as the company had long since shut down to the best of my knowledge at the time. No Lefties so there was nothing I could actually play, but they looked rather good to me. Then again, given the price tags they had on them they needed to be! Definitely gone a bit upmarket I'd say...

Edited by leftybassman392

Sorry but I have no personal experience of PEGs made under Gordon Tilley's ownership, because I stopped going to guitar shows before he bought the business in 2001. I have received plenty of secondhand info from owners, however, with a very mixed bag of opinions. My advice to anyone considering buying would be to thoroughly inspect first as there have been occasional reports of poor quality control, fit and finish ...

Nice one Gadge
I like the styling of the New York bass, it looks like something Manni would play
I also like the look of this one, although it seems a bit optimistically priced

I could see myself in a nice little Faces tribute band with this cheeky little monkey

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Patrick-J-Eggle-Discus-Bass-Very-rare-/171385311342?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item27e75c506e