Why become a member? ×

To sell or not to sell....that is the question?!

paulbass

Hi everyone, I got me a fender jazz bass about 3 months ago and i love it. Its got a great tone and i feel 'at one' with it when playing it...its a cracking bass and the action is spot on and suits my playing style.
Now the dilemma for me is that do i sell my previous bass which is a 1997 Warwick Thumb bass Bolt On that is in very good condition again the action is very low and its nice to play and i do love that growl but out the two i simply prefer the Jazz.
I cant justify keeping two quality basses as i do believe they should be played and i'm not a collector. I would be sad to sell the Warwick as it took me a long time to save up for it and get one but after playing it for nearly 9 years i wanted a change, hence why i got a fender jazz.....quite shameful really i've been playing about 25 years and never owned a Fender and after getting this one i wish i had got one sooner. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
What would you guys and gals do in my situation?

ok.

take a deep breath.

Repeat after me... unless you're really hard up on cash.
[b]It is okay, to have two basses[/b]
I had a warwick and passive fender for years - and you know what after a few months you will find some things that the thumb can do far better than the jazz.... if you have them both you have the choice.

Doesn't matter how you cut it, playing bass always ends up falling in to two categories- Jazz or Precision!

One of the two will feel 'right' to you, and nothing else will do!

It may have taken you 25 years, but now you have the chance to GAS over all the beautiful vintage gear!

But don't feel guilty about owning 2 basses. Maybe sell the Warwick and buy another Jazz now 'the bass' has found you?

Another view is to be aware of the current market.
Warwick prices are all over the place. You may find that it's value and your expectations of its value differ greatly.

Gas is a terrible thing. You could always try the 'put in a cupboard for a month or two and see if you miss it' method.

If you have a jazz that's 'the one' for you. Would you need another?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1406927189' post='2516063']
ok.

take a deep breath.

Repeat after me... unless you're really hard up on cash.
[b]It is okay, to have two basses[/b]
I had a warwick and passive fender for years - and you know what after a few months you will find some things that the thumb can do far better than the jazz.... if you have them both you have the choice.
[/quote]

+1

and your still in the honeymoon period with your new bass. its way to early to give up on your previous love.

Edited by Pinball

This
[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1406929795' post='2516096']

and your still in the honeymoon period with your new bass.
[/quote]Hold fire for a few months and see how you feel then.

Edited by ezbass

Well so far it seems like i'm going to be keeping the Warwick judging by all your kind comments :happy: . I just feel it should be used as it really is a top bass and i havent touched or missed it since getting the Jazz. Its an awesome bass to have as a second bass....i never thought i'd say that! But it has made me realise how lucky i am to 2 decent basses. I've always been a one bass man and a bit of guilt takes over i guess!

[quote name='r16ktx' timestamp='1406930725' post='2516104']
If you sell the Warwick you'll always doubt if it was the right one to sell... Plus it's only sensible to have a backup guitar, you know for string breaks and tunings etc :-)
[/quote]

This. A gig I played a couple of weeks back the bassist dropped his bass and the jack went through the pickguard, making it impossible to plug into. He didn`t have a backup so I lent him my bass. But if no-one else would lend a bass, or you`re the only band on, well without a backup you be in trouble.

Agree that if you don't need the money then keep it for a while.
I am aware that I have a problem where I only want one of something (bass, bike, camera, car) and it feels wasteful to have two but this usually sees me buying something I have already had before as I change my mind so I just go round in buying/selling circles. I do get some enjoyment from buying and selling I suppose but it is not really a good use of time or money and I would others don't have the same problem!

I've got 5 and 2 of them virtually never leave the house now. When I got my Bongo I toyed with selling my Warwick Streamer but decided I didn't need the money or the space so I kept it. Keep it as a GAS fund, if something comes up you really want then you can sell/trade it, until then enjoy having two great instruments to choose from!

[quote name='paulbass' timestamp='1406932010' post='2516118']
Well so far it seems like i'm going to be keeping the Warwick judging by all your kind comments :happy: . I just feel it should be used as it really is a top bass and i havent touched or missed it since getting the Jazz. Its an awesome bass to have as a second bass....i never thought i'd say that! But it has made me realise how lucky i am to 2 decent basses. I've always been a one bass man and a bit of guilt takes over i guess!
[/quote] you'll get over it. I had the same with 3 basses. kept buying a third and selling it - went through about 5 good things I really wanted to keep that way.
I went up to 4, now down to 3 and happy.
Play them both for a few months,
If you still want to sell keep the warwick in a case somewhere... if after another 3 months you've never got it out its case and you're not thinking about it at all... you're probably safe to sell. I did that with my JV precision - AMAZING bass, I loved it. But not getting played so stuck it in it's case and after 3-4 months realised it had never come out of it's case.
Swapped it for a thumb bass which was my holy grail bass :D