Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Retro Two10

gingerfish

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1417789878' post='2624061']
Read the info. These cabs work just as well horizontally as vertically.
[/quote]

Yep, unless you wanna be creative or are a big fan of tetris while stacking your cabs the only thing to take in to account is that only the full-range drivers benefit from vertical alignement (hope i got this right, haven't checked the BF info).

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1417789878' post='2624061']
Read the info. These cabs work just as well horizontally as vertically.
[/quote]

I'll have to listen to believe it.

I can't imagine getting the same definition onstage from two very low speakers on the ground at knee level, than from a stack that comes at least to chest level, no matter what the blurb says. It just goes contrary to every experience I've had.

So, could I ask a technical question about these cabs?

If I add a 12 Ohm version of the Retro Two10 to a Gen 2 Barefaced Compact (8 Ohm of course) - what would the resultant impedance be? I saw on one of those online calculators that it would be 4.6 Ohms. Is that right? Would seem sort of ideal if that's correct?

Also, and I have no idea about this ....... each of the cabs have two sockets. Is it a case of plugging the amp into any one of those on one of the cabs and then running a cable from the other socket in that cab to any one of the sockets in the other cab?

And if so, is that called running them in parallel?

And does it matter which cab goes first?

How would I know these things?

I get 4.8 Ohms.... and your plugging in assumptions are correct and it is called running in parallel. It doesn't matter which cab comes first.

As to how you would know....... I don't know. Decades of playing and 20 years a Physics teacher is a great help to me. :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1418122115' post='2626986']
....... I'm not sure I see the benefit of running a Two10 and Compact together.....

[/quote]

Please explain yourself sir.

I have the use of a Compact for now and I can have it if I want it. I said in another post that I like the low down sound, but need a bit more clarity. Adding one of these, and putting it on top, would retain that low down Compact sound, but add more to it - and up at my ear level.

I see a lot of people sitting a 4x10 on top of a 1x15 ...... so in my, less volume required scenario, I figured that sitting a 2x10 on top of a 1x15 of the same brand might be a interesing?

Edited by Jenny_Innie

As far as I understand, with generation 2 cabs the way to enhance the top end of a Compact was to add a Midget. They were designed to work together, but the gen2 and gen3 aren't designed this way so they might not sound how you would imagine. This combination might sound great but adding an incompatible cab can also take away from your sound.

The 410/115 idea was born out of the limitations of cabs that were available in years gone by. I see your logic and it's the logic that has been used by bassists for years, but modern cabs are better designed and you can get more lows and low mids out of a good 410 these days than you could ever get out of an old 115.

I'd suggest an email to Alex for some suggestions.

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1418124486' post='2627017']
I have the use of a Compact for now and I can have it if I want it. I said in another post that I like the low down sound, but need a bit more clarity. Adding one of these, and putting it on top, would retain that low down Compact sound, but add more to it - and up at my ear level.

I see a lot of people sitting a 4x10 on top of a 1x15 ...... so in my, less volume required scenario, I figured that sitting a 2x10 on top of a 1x15 of the same brand might be a interesing?
[/quote]

On paper this is a fine idea - especially as you already have access to the Compact.

In practice though, the outcome may not be what you expect or yearn for. It is not always predictable! Also, the idea that ten inch speakers deliver more midrange or top end than fifteens or twelves is outdated at best and, in many cases, incorrect.

If I was you, I would take chris_b's advice and e-mail Alex Claber at Barefaced. He is very good at giving impartial advice (and not just trying to sell you the most expensive BF cab!).

Edited by Conan

I like the low down sound, but need a bit more clarity. Adding one of these, and putting it on top, would retain that low down Compact sound...
[/quote]
[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1418125839' post='2627030']
...the idea that ten inch speakers at more midrange or top end is outdated at best and, in many cases, incorrect.
[/quote]

Driver circumference and frequency response are independent of each other. :)

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information/speaker-size-frequency-response.htm"]http://barefacedbass...cy-response.htm[/url]

Edited by discreet

A comparison from the Barefaced website:

[i]Why this rather than the much revered Compact?
The treble is brighter and more audible around the room, the midrange has more punch and also has better dispersion, the lows are just as big but better controlled and less boomy. It isn't quite as loud with the volume knob in the same place but it has more power handling so you can turn up more and it'll play pretty much as loud, despite being a lot smaller.[/i]

Sounds like the Super Compact is a good one cab solution.

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1418113711' post='2626866']
So, could I ask a technical question about these cabs?

If I add a 12 Ohm version of the Retro Two10 to a Gen 2 Barefaced Compact (8 Ohm of course) - what would the resultant impedance be? I saw on one of those online calculators that it would be 4.6 Ohms. Is that right? Would seem sort of ideal if that's correct?

[/quote]

On paper, your thinking is ok, and the reason why 115 and 210 was a good mix was because the power ratings were around the same at 300w per cab. But..as others have said, this may not work with your models so best to get advice or try them first.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1418131463' post='2627134']

On paper, your thinking is ok, and the reason why 115 and 210 was a good mix was because the power ratings were around the same at 300w per cab. But..as others have said, this may not work with your models so best to get advice or try them first.
[/quote]

What's this!?

JTUK in "first non-derogatory post on a Barefaced thread in ages" shocker!

Edit to add: ;-)

Edited by Bigwan

Guest monsterthompson

Please explain yourself sir.

[/quote]
The voicing on the two cabs (Compact and 210) is meant to be different, not similar. Just because it is the same company, doesn't allow you to jump to the conclusion they will play well together. They might, but it is a gamble. My bet is that an email to Alex will come back with a suggestion to not combine the cabs. Also, a 410 on a 15 is a whole other kind of weirdness. I know lots of people do it, but it is generally a less-than-optimal rig, though it can work (this topic has been beaten up several times). If you have a Compact and like the sound, the best bet would be to add a Midget of the same generation, with a tweeter. The woofers will be similar in voicing (G3 woofers aren't the same as G1 and G2), so you will get more of the sound you like. The Midget will add height to get sound closer to your ears, and it will give you punch and cut.

Guest monsterthompson

[b] [url="http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/Retro-Six10.htm"]http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/Retro-Six10.htm[/url] Retro10 10CR vs Generation 3 12XN models?[/b]

The main difference is in how the drivers perform in their respective enclosures:
_____________________12XN550____10CR250
Frequency response____Flat_______Coloured
Polar reponse_________Excellent___Excellent
Transient response____Excellent_____Good
Dynamic response_____Excellent_____Good
Resolution_____________High_______Medium

The Generation 3 12XN cabs were designed for minimum colouration within their design bandwidth whilst the Retro10 10CR cabs were designed to have a flattering colouration for bass guitar. The other important point to note is that the Retro Six10 has very high sensitivity which makes it ideal for use with lower powered amps, especially valve (tube) amps - and the flattering colouration also extends to making an overdriven amp sound less gnarly (an amp which is on the limit sounds extremely in your face through a 12XN cab!)

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1418146005' post='2627360']
This:

[url="https://twitter.com/AlanMcGeoch/status/483218505081561088/photo/1"]https://twitter.com/...1561088/photo/1[/url]
[/quote]

Not sure what your point is... :huh:

"....from where I'm standing...."

Which is OK, and the rest of the room is OK because he'd putting the bass into the DI then through FOH.

His 210 is nothing like the 210 you're looking at. So you can't draw any conclusions. This rig could work out in the room but you'd only know by trying it.