Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Retro Two10

gingerfish

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1414489093' post='2589673']
I'm assuming this is very much the R&D phase for this cab. I'd expect once the first is out, normal waiting times would apply.
[/quote]

It's weird to add a product to your product range so many months before you're ready to actually ship it though IMO. Most companies do (most of) their R&D first, then their marketing, but then I guess with some niche products the waiting is part of the marketing strategy.

Not meaning to be snarky as I've no beef with Barefaced or any other manufacturer, I just find it puzzling, that's all :)

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1414490571' post='2589697']

It's weird to add a product to your product range so many months before you're ready to actually ship it though IMO. Most companies do (most of) their R&D first, then their marketing, but then I guess with some niche products the waiting is part of the marketing strategy.

Not meaning to be snarky as I've no beef with Barefaced or any other manufacturer, I just find it puzzling, that's all :)
[/quote]

Not puzzling at all. The cab was supposed to be finished in July, which would be roughly in line with or quicker than their usual completion time but Barefaced have had a hellish few months, so delays were inevitable, but not for the reasons you've mentioned. Alex knows his beans, despite what a few naysayers on here would have you believe. The R&D phase for this cab would be minimal in comparison to something like their BB2 or BT2 - it's 1/3 of another cab their building. Get the volume of the enclosure right, model the crossover in software, sort out your cut list for the CNC and Bob's your uncle (or grandfather in my case!).

On one hand I've no need for the cab any time soon, so I'm happy to wait... On the other hand...

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1414524718' post='2590282']
My only concern is that it arrives and I like it so much I want a second one!
[/quote]

Surely your only concern is that you don't like it and want your money back? ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1414532780' post='2590437']

Surely your only concern is that you don't like it and want your money back? ;)
[/quote]

You're quite right discreet. On paper it sounds like my perfect small cab, but I guess we'll see!

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1414588308' post='2590986']
What Ohm rating did you order? The 12 Ohm or the 4 Ohm?
[/quote]

Haven't specified that yet - and I haven't actually decided yet! I'm thinking 4 ohm at the minute - my volume war days are over so I doubt I'll want a 2nd one (famous last words!). I'm thinking this and a Mesa Walkabout will be my rig for a while, if I can find one!

Haven't yet specified the grill I want either, but it'll probably be the vintage option.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1414614869' post='2591465']
Do they have a bass port or are they sealed ?
[/quote]
Here's the blurb - not sure it answers your question:
"Using our innovative hybrid enclosure which sounds and feels like a sealed cab but can play loud and bring the thunder like a ported cab"

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1414665364' post='2591932']
I read that & I really don't have a clue what that means ?
[/quote]

You're not alone; see LawrenceH's post on the last page! I think Barefaced haven't described it sufficiently clearly for anyone to know what's going on with the porting, even people who know their stuff regarding cab design.

They seem to have an odd product development strategy. Same as the 69er one when it was launched. Most normal companies will create a prototype and take some pictures of it - or maybe a few prototypes and send 'em to reviewers etc.

This lot appear to create an imaginary product, ask people to buy it in theory ..... even when they haven't designed parts like the grill. And then, make you wait much longer than you thought for delivery. I saw someone on here saying that this is what you expect for custom builds ........ but this isn't a custom build is it?

Baffling (sic).

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1414668113' post='2591975']
They seem to have an odd product development strategy. Same as the 69er one when it was launched. Most normal companies will create a prototype and take some pictures of it - or maybe a few prototypes and send 'em to reviewers etc.

This lot appear to create an imaginary product, ask people to buy it in theory ..... even when they haven't designed parts like the grill. And then, make you wait much longer than you thought for delivery. I saw someone on here saying that this is what you expect for custom builds ........ but this isn't a custom build is it?

Baffling (sic).
[/quote]

I think mostly they're in a hurry to get product out the door rather than take pictures of it, and always have been as I recall. They're busy enough carrying on the way they are, so I can't see it changing any time soon.