Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Retro Two10

gingerfish

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1416731370' post='2612907']
I'd like to know what the actual design is.
[/quote]

This is the more pertinent point...
Nobody has seen it, or heard it and it is unclear how it will even be finished, or when...

Don't get this thread at all.. Its a non product atm, to all intents and purposes...???

I think purpose of this thread is discussion about the product as the op has ordered one, together with feedback once it's out.

I'm not sure if their 610 is out atm but I understand this is simply modular based system on that. I'm interested in this thread to see one wild and hear thoughts on it.

Guess anything with barefaced in the title will attract criticism round here, which is a shame. Big gripes from some about handles and finish look to be addressed and still it wnot be good enough - however the company improves over time.

Personally I just find constant barefaced criticism makes for some very boring and predictable reading, often moves off topic unecessarily and makes reading topics I'm interested in hard work.

Edited by Salt on your Bass?

The Retro Two10, as described on the BF website, is a ported cab that is made to sound like a sealed cab.

At a guess it'll look like the majority of all other cabs, a rectangular black box...doesn't make for exciting photography IMO, so no need for pictures of it really.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1416764895' post='2613343']
The Retro Two10, as described on the BF website, is a ported cab that is made to sound like a sealed cab.

At a guess it'll look like the majority of all other cabs, a rectangular black box...doesn't make for exciting photography IMO, so no need for pictures of it really.
[/quote]

This is what I thought, when I ordered mine. I was more interested in it after speaking to Alex about what I wanted from a cab and how it would sound. He certainly was communicative then!

I am just hoping I can still get mine before Christmas. This is in line with what I was told by Alex when I ordered, but doesn't ring true after reading this thread.....

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1416953555' post='2615538']
Have you guys waiting paid in full for these or just deposits?
[/quote]

I've paid for ten but I only want one. Happy...??? But then you have to ask... where will that get you...???

Not far IMO, IME...??? <_<

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1416958590' post='2615598']
Deposit.
[/quote]

But then you have to ask yourself...Why didn't you pay in fool (sic)...??? :) You should have paid in full IMO... ;) I think your (sic) toasted now... IMO, IME....

Frank....???

Frank.

EDIT: Yes, I've had... a few... glasses of wine...???

Edited by machinehead

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1416959188' post='2615604']

But then you have to ask yourself...Why didn't you pay in fool (sic)...??? :) You should have paid in full IMO... ;) I think your (sic) toasted now... IMO, IME....

Frank....???

Frank
[/quote]

Been on the vino tonight Frank?

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1416764895' post='2613343']

[/quote]

Tbf there is a bit of conjecture over this as the site isn't clear what it is and I'm sure I read the words "passive radiator"

Although if it is as you said, seems rather pointless making a ported cab sound sealed, just make it sealed no?

I might be repeating what Bigwan posted last week, but I've just had the following response from Alex:

"We're working on the tolexing right now. It simply comes down to how long it takes for us to get that process nailed to a sufficiently high standard - once it's sorted then we can make these outstanding Retro10 cabs very quickly. We're also waiting for the steel grills but that doesn't affect your order." (I ordered the cloth version)

I guess my next question would be "how long will that take then?", but I'm guessing I'd light the touchpaper on that one!

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1417084711' post='2616864']
....Although if it is as you said, seems rather pointless making a ported cab sound sealed, just make it sealed no? ....
[/quote]

Ported and sealed cabs have different strengths and sounds, so as the site says Alex is building a [i]"hybrid enclosure which sounds and feels like a sealed cab but can play loud and bring the thunder like a ported cab"[/i].

Pointless? How do we more about this than Alex?

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1417094260' post='2617024']

Ported and sealed cabs have different strengths and sounds, so as the site says Alex is building a [i]"hybrid enclosure which sounds and feels like a sealed cab but can play loud and bring the thunder like a ported cab"[/i].

Pointless? How do we more about this than Alex?
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong that sounds great but it's not definite weather it's a ported can I don't think. Regardless it sounds like good premise and despite my previous excellent experience with my Super Compact I think I will wait for actual user verdicts

Guest monsterthompson

[quote] By only letting higher mids and treble come from one speakers we get much better dispersion through those frequencies so you have more consistent tone around the stage and venue. Not something you'll notice in a shop but something that can feel life changing on noisy gigs.[/quote] (from the BF site) - so how do you mic this beast?

[quote name='monsterthompson' timestamp='1417722846' post='2623526']
(from the BF site) - so how do you mic this beast?
[/quote]

There's a thread about this style of crossover running on Talkbass at the moment. One speaker is running full-range, while the other is lowpassed and only carries the lows and low mids. So I think it would just be a case of micing the full-range one of the pair.