Why become a member? ×

Recurring G.A.S

Fionn

GAS can be an ephemeral creature.

Or rather, the subject of GAS can be an ephemeral creature. I've observed myself heavily intoxicated by the GAS, over things that I wouldn't sniff at just weeks later. Then there are things that build the GAS over a longer duration, and to a greater pressure. In my case it was Jazz basses, I had continuous Jazz GAS for years, but that seems to have evaporated into the ether too. I've been surprised by GAS, GASsing over things that I traditionally had a strong aversion to. Sometimes I'll just get a whiff of GAS. Sometimes there's no GAS whatsoever. Then there's recurring GAS.

I'm currently suffering from recurring GAS. I'm GASsing for a bass that I've GASsed over and subsequently owned 4 times in the past ... and got rid of 4 times for good reason. Einstein said [i]"The definition of insanity is doing something over and over, and expecting a different result",[/i] yet I wont let go of the idea of this thing. Since I last owned the bass in question my playing circumstances are more conducive. My experience and knowledge are greater, so I know what to tweak. I'm more aware of the limitations of the instrument, so my expectations are more accurate, etc ... That's the kinda stuff I'm telling myself, at least.

Maybe it's a case of the chase being better than the kill? Maybe the statistics prove something and the result will be disappointment? Maybe I'll have cracked the code with this bass.

It's an expensive trip, but once again I'll gladly take a notional plunge into uncertainty and risk.

Yeahhhh!!!!! GAS!!!! Droooooool!!! :P

Edited by Fionn

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1404295550' post='2491174']

Or rather, the subject of GAS can be an ephemeral creature. I've observed myself heavily intoxicated by the GAS, over things that I wouldn't sniff at just weeks later. Then there are things that build the GAS over a longer duration, and to a greater pressure. In my case it was Jazz basses, I had continuous Jazz GAS for years, but that seems to have evaporated into the ether too. I've been surprised by GAS, GASsing over things that I traditionally had a strong aversion to. Sometimes I'll just get a whiff of GAS. Sometimes there's no GAS whatsoever. Then there's recurring GAS.

I'm currently suffering from recurring GAS. I'm GASsing for a bass that I've GASsed over and subsequently owned 4 times in the past ... and got rid of 4 times for good reason. Einstein said [i]"The definition of insanity is doing something over and over, and expecting a different result",[/i] yet I wont let go of the idea of this thing. Since I last owned the bass in question my playing circumstances are more conducive. My experience and knowledge are greater, so I know what to tweak. I'm more aware of the limitations of the instrument, so my expectations are more accurate, etc ... That's the kinda stuff I'm telling myself, at least.

Maybe it's a case of the chase being better than the kill? Maybe the statistics prove something and the result will be disappointment? Maybe I'll have cracked the code with this bass.

It's an expensive trip, but once again I'll gladly take a notional plunge into uncertainty and risk.

[/quote]

So, you've owned four Stingrays then! ;)

Guest MoJo

The P bass GAS hit me recently. Having sold my BB414 which was perfect for the rock covers band I'm in and finding it's replacement lacking on it's first outing, the GAS demon told me
" All you need is a P-bass" so I started scouring the bay, gumtree and the forum. Four days in, with a watch list as long as your arm, I thought to myself, Ive had at least 4 or 5 P-basses and sold every one. There must have been a reason I sold them. Watch list empty, new acquisition gets a stay of execution......Damn you GAS

Edited by MoJo

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1404303644' post='2491323']

[/quote]
I'd defiantly put myself in this camp but in my case it's about 6 ....and always end up coming back to the jazz ;)

I`ve suffered from the dreaded GAS very muchly since joining Basschat. I`m at a point where what I have is now the exact right gear for me. My `78 Precision is going nowhere, neither is my Markbass/Tech 21 VT DI set-up. The only item on my list now is a Jazz bass, as I really feel I should have one in addition, but as I`m unlikely to use it live don`t want to spend too much. Currently looking at the Schecter Diamond J as the clips really flatter the sound, plus the reviews state the neck is quite deep - being a Precision man am not overkeen on thin necks, I need a real handful!

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1404303644' post='2491323']
[/quote]

I'm on my 4th Stingray and I thought I liked this one! You are probably correct and I just want to like it and very shortly the magic will wear off and out it goes again :(

Still on the upside I only have one Jazz just can't get on with it at all and have absolutely no gas for another.....so final Stingray gas sorted, Jazz gas sorted Precisions in place so gas should now be a distant memory.....yeah I bet

I don't suffer from GAS to much I did in the past I bought and sold tons of basses some expensive some not I do not regret selling any of them but I do miss my Fender P . I Think the closest I come to GAS nowadays is buying parts to mod basses to just how I like them but I am naturally a tinkerer lol I must admit I am more happy now than I have ever been with my gear in the past I do still admire basses and think oooooh wouldn't mind one of those but I am not obsessed with getting it like I used to be :)

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1404295550' post='2491174']

[/quote]

I can relate to this so well.

I've spent a clean fortune, like thousands on basses over last three yrs and I'm back to the start again and have nothing other than a basic fiver which is heavy, solid, passive and does extremely well what it says on the tin. I've also commissioned a build from ACG and it has all I like and nothing I don't like. My plan is that I will no longer lose money on basses until I can afford to indulge in GAS fuelled acquisition impulses. My ultimate is a dingwall Z3 but I'm not that well off with cash yet.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1404590029' post='2494043']
I'm pretty sure this forum makes GAS worse for most of us. I've been avoiding the sale section and spending less time on here and I've noticed a significant drop in GAS!
[/quote]

Yep, I've done that since ordering my ACG and I'd agree.
Sometimes it's just too easy to flip through stellar quality stuff for bargain prices and GAS just explodes.

My GAS starts with a stray thought, which becomes a whim. A bit of online research follows, then maybe a trawl through back issues of Guitarist or whatever, and before I know it I am trying out the kit in a music shop. Fortunately I have enough sense that it stops when I realise I don't really like whatever it is, but if a purchase ensues, I have generally been happy and kept the thing. Sometimes I end up purchasing something completely different, e.g. three putative Jazz shopping trips have ended up with a P- type purchase!

I am GASing for a Stingray. Another bass player I know is GASing for a Jazz. I have a Jazz, he has a Stingray. So we are going to lend to each other, hopefully cure the GAS, and not lose any money doing it.

Time to set up a BC GAS-aholics lending service I think...

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1404732993' post='2495113']
I am GASing for a Stingray. Another bass player I know is GASing for a Jazz. I have a Jazz, he has a Stingray. So we are going to lend to each other, hopefully cure the GAS, and not lose any money doing it.

[/quote]

Brilliant idea!!

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1404732993' post='2495113']

[/quote]

Fantastic idea!!!

Moderators, would it be possible to have a place on the forum for such a thing?