Why become a member? ×

How do you share tracks with bandmates ?

BigBeatNut

I'm interested in how you share tracks with bandmates. Seems that Spotify gets used for this but for me it has limitations in that not every track is available on Spotify. I've just put together a playlist on spotify, but it's missing about 20% of the tracks I wanted to include.

Does anyone still burn CDs for bandmates ? Audio CDs or data CDs with MP3s ?

What about other services like Spotify ... online 'radio' services that are more comprehensive ?

What about file-sharing services like DropBox ? Not sure about the legality of this approach even if you limit the share to 4 or 5 bandmates .

Any other possibilities I've missed ?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1404072387' post='2489067']
I upload mp3s to my website and email links to bandmates.
They can then stream them from the site or download them to their desktops for playing.
[/quote]

Yeah, that's quite like the Dropbox thing I guess. I wonder if either DropBox or your (website) service provider would object to you making mp3s freely available though ?

[quote name='Chaos Daveo' timestamp='1404072577' post='2489070']
Youtube
[/quote]

Doh, of course ... I'll see if that can fill in the gaps that spotify couldn't cover. It would be nice If I could get all the tracks in one place though, I'll see how that works out.

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1404073005' post='2489076']
I wonder if either DropBox or your (website) service provider would object to you making mp3s freely available though?
[/quote]

They're only available to people I send links to! :)

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1404073166' post='2489078']
I record them onto cassette tapes and post them out in Jiffy bags.
[/quote]

Ooh, so modern. What's wrong with making wax cylinders and sending them by pigeon post?

[/quote]
Yes, there used to be a big hoo haa about that back in the day, my 2p is that a handful of tracks to a handful of people for the specific reason of learning the same version of a song is 'fair use' too trivial to enforce copyright on and royalties should be covered by the PRS licencing

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1404073469' post='2489083']
They're only available to people I send links to! :)
[/quote]

And the people they forward the links to, and anyone who snoops the internet traffic containing the emails, and anyone who snoops your mailbox (like gmail). :S

But you're right, if the files are not part of a website as such then any kind of automatic discovery and mass re-use is unlikely. Thanks.

[quote name='r16ktx' timestamp='1404073801' post='2489089']
Yes, there used to be a big hoo haa about that back in the day, my 2p is that a handful of tracks to a handful of people for the specific reason of learning the same version of a song is 'fair use' too trivial to enforce copyright on and royalties should be covered by the PRS licencing
[/quote]

That's a sensible point of view.

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1404074431' post='2489097']
And the people they forward the links to, and anyone who snoops the internet traffic containing the emails, and anyone who snoops your mailbox (like gmail).
[/quote]

We're an originals band so I'd be delighted for as many people as possible to hear the songs.
I send mp3s of our rehearsals and writing sessions... and I've no doubt misunderstood your question. :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1404074949' post='2489108']
We're an originals band so I'd be delighted for as many people as possible to hear the songs.
I send mp3s of our rehearsals and writing sessions... and I've no doubt misunderstood your question. :D
[/quote]

For clarification: (just in case anyone picks this up part way through) I was talking about sharing commercial recordings so that my band can do cover versions.

I probably went a little far in playing devil's advocate over why a service provider (Dropbox or web hosting) might find reasons to prevent you sharing MP3s on the assumption that the MP3s are commercial recordings for which you don't have copyright.

We used a closed group with Copy - it's similar to Dropbox but the free storage is way larger.

If you set it up correctly then each band member can get really large storage and each person effectively shares their storage across the group.

Eg If user A has 20Gb and user B has 40GB then there's a band total space of 60gb.

In Dropbox if the total volume stored went to 30Gb then user A would have lots of problems. In Copy this is just fine and it works perfectly /)

[/quote]

I really hope that you actually do this. :)
I found a bag of old band cassettes the other day & it was brilliant going through them all - far more fun than poxy mp3s on a f***ing cloud or whatever modern techno bollocks is the current craze.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1404076785' post='2489138']
We used a closed group with Copy - it's similar to Dropbox but the free storage is way larger.

If you set it up correctly then each band member can get really large storage and each person effectively shares their storage across the group.

Eg If user A has 20Gb and user B has 40GB then there's a band total space of 60gb.

In Dropbox if the total volume stored went to 30Gb then user A would have lots of problems. In Copy this is just fine and it works perfectly /)
[/quote]

Ooh, that looks interesting, thanks.

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1404079872' post='2489165']

Ooh, that looks interesting, thanks.
[/quote]

If you PM me with an email address I can 'invite' you - it gets both you and me additional storage as soon as you set up :)

I use Google Drive to share audio at the moment. I was using SoundCloud until a couple of months ago when they stopped it from being used as a tool for internal use by bands. Thanks, SoundCloud.

Edit: I'm talking about sharing demos and rehearsal recordings of original music rather than anything that may have already been recorded, made successful, and found its way to Spotify, clearly.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1404083626' post='2489206']
I was using SoundCloud until a couple of months ago when they stopped it from being used as a tool for internal use by bands. Thanks, SoundCloud.
[/quote]

How did they enforce that ? Is every track public or something ?

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1404085569' post='2489219']
How did they enforce that ? Is every track public or something ?
[/quote]

Something like that, yeah. I can't remember the exact details now but you can't just share a track with a selection of users any more. At the time I was sharing tracks with two guys who'd just left a band and didn't want their former bandmates to know they'd gone straight into working on tunes with me, so it was a pain in the arse when they stopped us sharing tracks internally.