Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1374854479' post='2154130']
It's really a really good cd. I'm just playing 'Truth Be Told' by Mark Egan with Bill Evans, Vinnie Colaiuta & Mitch Foreman which is also very nice. I've been a fan of Mark Egan since i saw him in 1978 with Pat Metheny and have been lucky to have seen him with Elements and also Gil Evans. One of my favourite bass players.
[/quote]

I've got his "Bass Workout " video and it's one of my favourites . I remember seeing him in an interview in Guitar Player Magazine back in the early '80's and he sounded really interesting , talking about his Pedulla basses ect , but I didn't actually get to hear him until he played on Duran Duran solo project Arcadia ( !) in about 1985 , and even on that he sounded wickedly good . I am currently on the lookout for a good fretless bass and one of my criteria is that it has to make me sound like Mark Egan . It might be a long wait ...

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1374855064' post='2154139']
I've got his "Bass Workout " video and it's one of my favourites . I remember seeing him in an interview in Guitar Player Magazine back in the early '80's and he sounded really interesting , talking about his Pedulla basses ect , but I didn't actually get to hear him until he played on Duran Duran solo project Arcadia ( !) in about 1985 , and even on that he sounded wickedly good . I am currently on the lookout for a good fretless bass and one of my criteria is that it has to make me sound like Mark Egan . It might be a long wait ...
[/quote]
Start saving those pennies Dingus!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGBzS9coFCg

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1375226683' post='2158665']
One of those rare times when a cover version is better than the original.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-vgmjzjkLc[/media]
[/quote]

Top tune, tho much as I love ACR, the original is [i]storming[/i]!! Amazing bassline...:)

[quote name='mickster' timestamp='1375228037' post='2158681']
Top tune, tho much as I love ACR, the original is [i]storming[/i]!! Amazing bassline... :)
[/quote]
I think that ACR version is much more 'storming' than the original. I heard the Banbarra original when it was released in the mid 70s and really liked it but when ACR released their version a few years later they gave a bit of oomph that the original lacked. They are both great versions and the Banbarra vocals are better but overall the youthful exuberance of ACR wins it for me.

Great choices Betafunk, I used to listen to Pop Group and ACR tons back in the day (saw ACR live in 1981, fantastic). Both those bands led me to this lot, 23 Skidoo who for a brief period in the early 80s were really superb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn0DkUKN8k8