Why become a member? ×

Bass distortion/overdrive - help needed!!!

mike_b

Hi guys - you'll have to bear with me as i'm a complete newbie when it comes to effects pedals.

I play pretty much all metal (drop B mainly) and haven't used any pedals until up to now, but i'm looking to expand my sound a bit and add a bit of overdrive and distortion (not fuzzy sound).something along the lines of this:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCp8vE1ZT0g[/media]

this or the classic ampeg tone is what i'm after.

I believe this a darkglass b7k used in the video - bit out of my price range!

Can you guys recommend anything along those lines? Its my 21st in a couple of months so looking for something to treat myself. I've been look at the sansamp BDDI and the darkglass b3k, what are peoples experiences with them?

I'm currently borrowing a friends boss ODB3 but i'm finding that when I engage the pedal I lose a lot of volume from the amp compared to when I have the pedal off even with the pedal level at max - is this something i'm doing wrong? I use a Ashdown mag600 head and 410t cab, and I also have Ashdown Mibass 2.0 cab and 2X10" cabs and have the problem of volume loss with both of them, using both my active musicman and passive fender... Am I going to have this problem with something like a sansamp or a darkglass, as its really putting me off adding overdrive and distortion at the moment :unsure:

Any advice/ input would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by mike_b

The only real way to get an indication of how it sounds to you is to give it a whirl somewhere.
The b3k is an awesome pedal, but very definitely the little brother of the b7k.
I remember when I tried my 3, it was exactly the sound I had heard in my head at that point. I had heard nothing like it before.
Perhaps a 3 and an eq could be a useful compromise, although I suspect once you buy those two pedals, you may as well just go for it and get a 7

I had an ODB-3 too and that was my impression of it. Got a B3K and (opinion alert) it's a totally different league from the Boss.

As far as I'm aware Nolly uses the Axe Fx for his distortion and the B7K as a preamp.

If you're near Motherwell/Glasgow you're welcome to try my B3K out :)

The ODB-3 should be able to match the output level of your bass, but maybe your bass is just ridiculously loud?

If you're looking at the BDDI definitely check out the Behringer BDI21. That's what I used for this: https://soundcloud.com/creepjoint/bass-invader (another guy playing the bass but I did the sound) and I love it

Never had a volume issue with the ODB-3 myself.

I don't know of many cheap pedals that can get in that zone except maybe the flexibility of the Zoom units, being able to add blended distortion, EQ, and smooth it out with an amp sim - there's so many combinations that you're bound to get reasonably close although it would take some effort to get there. It has models of the Sansamp and ODB-3 for example.

But honestly, you're probably best off just saving for the B7K if that's the sound you want! Whilst you do so, pick up a cheap Zoom B1on to play with. Drop hints to mum and dad that a B7K would be the best 21st birthday present ever!

Am I the only person that doesn't get the darkglass thing? I've owned the b3k, b7k and vintage and didn't warm to any of them... Something going on in the upper midrange of them all that I just couldn't get on with. Having said that I've changed the rest of my gear round so might try a b3k again one of these days...

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1402560417' post='2474723']
Am I the only person that doesn't get the darkglass thing? I've owned the b3k, b7k and vintage and didn't warm to any of them... Something going on in the upper midrange of them all that I just couldn't get on with. Having said that I've changed the rest of my gear round so might try a b3k again one of these days...
[/quote]

I like the Vintage, but felt the same about the B*K. However, for that modern industrial/metal tone as in the video above, it's one of the best things out there. A LOT of metal players out there are using the B7K these days.

Thanks for the response guys! Not sure why i'm having issues with the ODB3, I wouldn't say my bass is ridiculously loud and I have pretty standard basses, might just be me, any tips for how to set the EQ on your amp when using it? I have seen the behringer BDI21 mentioned in forums before when discussing Darkglass vs Sansamp - any got any opinions on the Sansamp? I've seen a behringer BDI21 on sale for £26, might give it a whirl to see if I like it... theres a shop in London the sells both the darkglass b3k and b7k, might have to take trip up there and test them out.. Cameronj279, thanks for the offer, but I live at the other end of the country!

Edited by mike_b

The amp EQ shouldn't have a massive effect. If it's loud enough without the pedal on, it should be loud enough with it on.

I would start with the pedal settings. Put the blend all the way to dry. Set the EQ flat (12 o'clock) and the volume to maximum. When you turn the pedal on and off, there should be no volume drop. If anything, it should be louder with the pedal on. If that's the case, you know the pedal's working fine. Then turn the gain to about 9 o'clock, and keep turning the pedal on and off while you turn the mix pedal towards wet. This way you can find the right spot to keep your volume

You'll have to do this while it's loud otherwise you won't hear the difference in the low end properly

You're better off getting something that'll do something close to this sound but more, what I've found is people get a B3K, love it for about 6 months and then eventually sell it on for something a bit more versatile. For a metal tone, I've always recommended these, it's got a much loved gate, which is good for metal

http://youtu.be/wnkVsllF7vs?t=3m42s

[quote name='topheteatwo' timestamp='1402578634' post='2474962']
You're better off getting something that'll do something close to this sound but more, what I've found is people get a B3K, love it for about 6 months and then eventually sell it on for something a bit more versatile. For a metal tone, I've always recommended these, it's got a much loved gate, which is good for metal

[url="http://youtu.be/wnkVsllF7vs?t=3m42s"]http://youtu.be/wnkVsllF7vs?t=3m42s[/url]
[/quote]

The Empress Heavy?

I can't listen to this at the moment as I'm at work, but after a quick nose online I'm very interested in this! Is it capable of that nasty clanky sound that you get from the B3k?

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1402586440' post='2475057']
Sounds like it does, although it doesn't have a blend, which I find is useful for that kind of tone.
[/quote]

Ooh! I didn't even THINK to check if it had a blend. I guess I assumed high end drive pedals would do :P

I guess that's out then, I'll stick to my B3K/Sansamp/Lomenzo combo!

[quote name='citymariner' timestamp='1402654932' post='2475648']
I'm in the same position as you.

I've a beh BDI but wondering what else is out there for that overdrive sound.

Considering the MXR stuff at the mo. I'm very impressed with their pedals at the mo.

Great video btw - shows how hard us 'root players' work...
[/quote]

What do you think if the behringer, is it any good? Was thinking of picking one up at the moment to see if I like it.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1402662403' post='2475735']
I`d look at the Tech21 VT DI - my sound, though I add a lot of mids in, isn`t far away from that. Scoop rather than add and you`d get that quite easy I reckon.
[/quote]

I've seen a few of these floating around and wondered how they compared to the BDDI, only trouble is they're more expensive than the BDDI

Edited by mike_b

[quote name='mike_b' timestamp='1402665876' post='2475781']
What do you think if the behringer, is it any good? Was thinking of picking one up at the moment to see if I like it.

I've seen a few of these floating around and wondered how they compared to the BDDI, only trouble is they're more expensive than the BDDI
[/quote]

The VT is excellent, if you're looking a classic SVT sound, it's there in a box

[quote name='mike_b' timestamp='1402665876' post='2475781']
[/quote]

It's worth a try definitely! It's really more for tone shaping and lower drive settings but in my experience that or Sansamp work very well with other drive pedals. Try it with a used Ashdown Lomenzo pedal and you'll have a face ripping sound for well under £100!

I've got a couple of bedroom bass covers on my youtube channel using those two together to give you a faint idea but you can do so much more with them!
[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/stonedparyah"]http://www.youtube.com/user/stonedparyah[/url]

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='topheteatwo' timestamp='1402667469' post='2475804']
The VT is excellent, if you're looking a classic SVT sound, it's there in a box
[/quote]

Agree. I recently recorded using mine straight to desk, and our engineer/producer, who is Ampeg nuts, was raving about how good this little pedal is.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1402560417' post='2474723']
[/quote]

You're not alone. I only owned the B3K and Vintage. Not for me at all... :(

In the end I've found the VT-Bass pedal to be more my thing. IN fact, I use two of them, for different settings on each.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1402533324' post='2474603']
I had an ODB-3 too and that was my impression of it. Got a B3K and (opinion alert) it's a totally different league from the Boss.

As far as I'm aware Nolly uses the Axe Fx for his distortion and the B7K as a preamp.

If you're near Motherwell/Glasgow you're welcome to try my B3K out :)
[/quote]

At the time of that live video that was Dingwall Combustion 5 into B7K for all tone shaping into an Axe FX II with a tube DI model and some EQ, he switched to using the B7K as just a preamp after that tour and when they went back to using real cabs. The tone on that video is the DI feed from his rig with a small blend of the Go Pro mic.

A nice overdrive that won't scoop out your low end is the EBS MultiDrive; it can be found second hand at a reasonable cost. I use tha to get some "hair" in my tone from time to time. The EBS MetalDrive [b]may [/b]also be an option, but I've never encountered it...

Don't forget the guy is using a Dingwall bass with 37" scale B-string that [b]REALLY [/b]has an impact on his tone!

Edited by bassmayhem