Why become a member? ×

Bass distortion/overdrive - help needed!!!

mike_b

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1402702089' post='2476249']
At the time of that live video that was Dingwall Combustion 5 into B7K for all tone shaping into an Axe FX II with a tube DI model and some EQ, he switched to using the B7K as just a preamp after that tour and when they went back to using real cabs. The tone on that video is the DI feed from his rig with a small blend of the Go Pro mic.
[/quote]

You've probably seen it, but this gives a very good indication of how Nolly gets his tone. Not sure if he was using the Cali76 at the time of that live video, but it makes a big difference to my ears.

http://youtu.be/lMxbP1V3WBo

[quote name='bassmayhem' timestamp='1402730912' post='2476315']
A nice overdrive that won't scoop out your low end is the EBS MultiDrive; it can be found second hand at a reasonable cost. I use tha to get some "hair" in my tone from time to time. The EBS MetalDrive [b]may [/b]also be an option, but I've never encountered it...

Don't forget the guy is using a Dingwall bass with 37" scale B-string that [b]REALLY [/b]has an impact on his tone!
[/quote]

Too right! Those things THUNDER! Really want to play one live.

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1402737040' post='2476372']
You've probably seen it, but this gives a very good indication of how Nolly gets his tone. Not sure if he was using the Cali76 at the time of that live video, but it makes a big difference to my ears.

[media]http://youtu.be/lMxbP1V3WBo[/media]
[/quote]

Yep! I've asked Nolls about it myself, ran into him in Bath where my friend studies and we bumped into him at a coffee shop, we both almost hyper ventilated haha!

He wasn't using the Cali76 at the time of the original video, that was before he even had his custom 6 string I believe and he was using the G spot for the 6 string stuff like Ji and Masamune (God I love that song!) That was just Combustion -> Axe FX -> FOH, I'm also pretty sure that tone is a tone matched B7K tone as with the lightweight rig they had to use for travelling (too many ruddy guitars!) they didn't want any knobs to be touched or moved on it, so it was all tone matching with I think either Zilla 410/412's but more likely an ampeg 810 at the time from PII cab IR loaded.

I'm a big Nolly fan, especially of his tones and his taste in guitars. The Cali helps the most add really making the bass punch and the distortion grind, the B7K is what really gives the major tightness which he'd be lost with out. Hopefully the 3rd album Juggernaut uses these cabs and will either be a Matrix power amp or the QSC 4.3 into his 2 6x10s from Zilla, with the new Axe Fx for tone shaping. Will hopefully mean they can have the nice and tight bass sound higher in the mix, I feel the classic SVT ampeg stack used on PII just had too much woof in the low end!

Personally to get a tone similar to this "ish" I've been using marshall guitar amps/a marshall jack hammer, not quite the same, but similar characteristics (ish... ha!)