Why become a member? ×

Did I get the gig??

geoham

erm.... not a reasonable workload for no outcome.

If I had 2 sets to learn ( 22 tracks ) I would expect the gig or preferably gigs confirmed and garuanteed payment.
If this is a working function band who hint at any sort of professionalism then they should be thinking
on these lines.
A free audition is one thing but to pull your chain over this they have to give something back and be reasonable about it.
I wouldn't be putting in anymore work unless the gig was there.

If you want the gig, you don't have to tell them this, but if you are good enough and they still aren't sure, I'd be thinking I'd done enough and
they need to make their mind up and then let you know and then we go from there.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1402523485' post='2474514']
erm.... not a reasonable workload for no outcome.

If I had 2 sets to learn ( 22 tracks ) I would expect the gig or preferably gigs confirmed and garuanteed payment.
If this is a working function band who hint at any sort of professionalism then they should be thinking
on these lines.
A free audition is one thing but to pull your chain over this they have to give something back and be reasonable about it.
I wouldn't be putting in anymore work unless the gig was there.

If you want the gig, you don't have to tell them this, but if you are good enough and they still aren't sure, I'd be thinking I'd done enough and
they need to make their mind up and then let you know and then we go from there.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. I already knew some of the songs, but I would have rather have had maybe 10 to do properly than loads to busk my way through. Anyway, I've done all I can. First gig is August 2nd if all goes well....

It is too late now as you have been to the rehearsal, but maybe you can direct them to what songs
you have the best chance with in limited time... having said that, Aug 2nd is plenty of time for 20 or so numbers.. but
I'd ask for the set for that gig and then concentrate on that and add anything over and above.
That way, you will be able to nail all the songs or at the very least, say to drop one or two as they don't work yet.

I am assuming the songs they do they do well...so you will be potentially the weaker link by virtue of knowing the
the songs the least... or are they planning more rehearsals before your date..??

Some bands are very good buskers/readers that rehearsal can be non existant or very limited but some bands
also need a month of sundays and they are the ones that will take as much time to adapt to you than you may well adapt to them..
Depends how they play and learn... do they play with the player or play the part and expect everything to fall into place
as you are supposed to be playing the exact parts..???
The latter is why bands don't sound together even though everything is supposedly in place

Thanks for the advice.

There will be other rehearsals thankfully.
Existing bassist will finish after gig next weekend, then no gigs in July, and back to gigging most weekends from August, with a weekly rehearsal being the norm.

The songs need to be pretty close to the recordings - which obviously makes them easier for me to learn at home.

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1402994469' post='2478546']
Pretty happy - paid gigs almost every week.
May finally start making more doing gigs than I spend on music equipment!
[/quote]

That's what I said when I joined my band. Since then I've replaced my entire rig and bought 4 basses :gas:

Congratulations and well done for all your hard work!