Why become a member? ×

Coda Music Stevenage

karlfer

Over the last few weeks I have had a pain in my arm, from elbow through forearm to fingers. At first it was recovering between our weekend gigs and Wed rehearsals. Now it is with me all the time and apparently my gigging time will be coming to a close over the next couple of years. Tunnel stuff says doc.
As such I have decided to go out treating myself and I recently decided on a Fender Custom shop.
I live in Wigan and the nearest I could find with a decent selection was Coda in Stevenage, a mere 192 miles each way.
So I set off this morning, 5 hours courtesy of the traffic lights of the M6 to Coventry Junction 3 being out, causing big tailbacks. 1.5 hours to do 4 miles.
I finally got there and I have to say Doug and the guys he works with were AMAZING. Nice room all to myself (the Joe Bonamassa room by the looks of it), anything I wanted to try, coffee , tea, advice.
CS Jazz no 1, 1960 NOS Black, stacker. Sounded stunning but hated the flats on it. Action a bit high but they offered to do a set up while I waited if required.
CS Jazz no 2, 1964 Closet Classic, Seminole Red. Beautiful, played great, great action, sounded wonderful. HOWEVER (tart alert) looked far too much like my 2002 Tango'd Sunset Orange.
The white 1960 RI I wanted to try had just been sold.
So, out of curiosity I asked if I could try the Dusty Hill CS. NOW THIS thing looks like I had towed it down the M6 to the shop. Upside down Tele headstock, presumably neck like a baseball bat.
Wrong. This is one of the FINEST basses I have ever tried. Unlike the two wonderful basses I had just tried this one screamed out to me.
World's worst bridge, who cares, intonation was perfect. Action a bit high, so what, still daftly playable, despite my arm giving me some real gyp by then. Pick up a bit quiet on bass, but killer on full tone. Weight is superb, definitely sub 8lb.
THE NECK IS THE BEST I HAVE EVER PLAYED. Jazz width nut, but a bit of depth to get hold of, sublime.
The guys in the shop offered me what I asked in p/x for my Hot Rod, excellent. I had , however, come prepared with a budget. X £ in one pocket for the 60 jazz (plus the Hot Rod value). Another £300 in my other pocket for the 64 jazz. Glad nobody took a chance mugging me, lot of £20's in my pocket :rolleyes: .
Sadly, the Dust was £300 more than I could reach. Today :ph34r:
So, a massive thanks to the guys in Coda for their time, expertise, friendliness and help. Much appreciated and muchly recommended. I had a wonderful hour or so in there.
Although we usually gig 3 weeks out of 4 in the little pub rock band I'm in, we have 5 gigs in June, assuming my arm lasts out. (It will, I won;t let them down), if Coda has this wonderful beat up tattly little monster in by the end of the month, she will be mine! Oh yes, she will be mine :lol: .
The bass
[URL=http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/dustyhillp_zps61c0f903.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/Karl_Altdorfer/dustyhillp_zps61c0f903.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Thank you very much gentlemen of Coda.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1401909613' post='2468265']
We could have had a coffee meet up :) Give me a shout if you come back down for the Dusty
[/quote]

Thank you Gary, that's very kind :)

[quote name='Platypus' timestamp='1401909659' post='2468266']
Hmm looks good - might just call in there tomorrow and try it out..

Just messin with you :)
[/quote]

Just messin' :D
[URL=http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/index_zps4556c279.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/Karl_Altdorfer/index_zps4556c279.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1401909613' post='2468265']
We could have had a coffee meet up :) Give me a shout if you come back down for the Dusty
[/quote]

Likewise Karl/Gary, Stevenage not too far from me, Coda always a pleasure to visit.

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1401912060' post='2468309']
Karl, if it's carpel tunnel, get it fixed. My old guitarist suffered for years and then had it operated on and fixed. Both hands too.
[/quote]

Thanks Martin. Doc ain't sure yet, bit more testy stuff.
Wouldn't it be a shame if I'd ended up treating myself under false pretenses :lol:

How funny. It's about 5miles from me. I was at work otherwise I would have bought you lunch.

I bought my old second hand Trace Elliot from them.
Now that Machinehead in Hitchin has gone they're about the only shop around.
Great range of MXR FX pedals.
Not a great selection of strings though so I only ever drop in to kick tyres and fiddle with FX. ;)

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1401912060' post='2468309']
Karl, if it's carpel tunnel, get it fixed. My old guitarist suffered for years and then had it operated on and fixed. Both hands too.
[/quote]
I had the op too - recovery took just a week
Well worth it

Coda is probably the best shop I've been in - great stock / staff / service etc. Despite looking small from the front, they have so much stuff it's unreal. Whenever we are gigging in the area we always find time to call in. Last time I was there I got chatting to a guy who turned out to be the Gibson Europe rep - gave me some insight into finding the perfect 335 for me! Just need to save a bit more now..............

I have not brought from the Stevenage store but Luton has relieved of decent sums of money on more than one occasion, they are bad people with stores full of shiny nice things that make your bank balance turn red, of course your bank balance is emptied with the best possible customer service :huh: