Why become a member? ×

NBD - Limelight Jazz Bass 1960 YOB *Spitfire Guard!*

discreet

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1403771028' post='2486033']
Very nice Mark. But if this is your idea of a moderate relic, I'd like to see your version of a heavy one!
[/quote]

I played a friend of mine's pre-CBS Jazz (around 62-64, I think) and it looks like it has been buried in the garden for about fifty years - body, neck, fingerboard, everything a very dark walnut-brown with a huge thumb-hole above the bridge pup! Just lovely to play and sounds great, though.

To be absolutely honest though Sean, my new baby has just a [i]touch [/i]more, er... 'mojo' than I would perhaps have liked, but the real ones do look kind of similar...

Edit: Right, I'll go and take some more pics now.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1403772461' post='2486065']
I played a friend of mine's pre-CBS Jazz (around 62-64, I think) and it looks like it has been buried in the garden for about fifty years - body, neck, fingerboard, everything a very dark walnut-brown with a huge thumb-hole above the bridge pup! Just lovely to play and sounds great, though.

To be fair, my new baby has just a touch more, er... 'mojo' than I would perhaps have liked, but the real ones do look kind of similar...

Edit: Right, I'll go an take some more pics now.
[/quote]

It's just my opinion, one mans medium is another mans heavy. Lovely bass tho and I'm sorely tempted.

Looks incredible! Fantastic value too. Hugely tempting...

I expect that they'll start to get the wrong sort of attention over the use of the Fender trademarks if they're not careful though, sad to say.

edit: Sorry, I just noticed that there was already a thread talking about Limelight's chances re: legal action. Nothing to see here, move, on!

I'd gladly consider one even with a different headstock & logo though!

Edited by fun size nick

Some detail pics...

My new Status Half-Wounds haven't arrived yet... should I record some sound files with the stock roundwounds? :huh:
I don't know what they are - generic 45-105 rounds... a bit too bright and boingy for me.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1403776004' post='2486133']
My new Status Half-Wounds haven't arrived yet... should I record some sound files with the stock roundwounds? :huh:
I don't know what they are - generic 45-105 rounds... a bit too bright and boingy for me.
[/quote]

A before and after (ie rounds and flats) would be good :-)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1403776923' post='2486154']
What do you suggest? Rhythm Stick? :D
[/quote]

That would count me out then, I can only play every other note if I try to play it up to tempo :D

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1403777109' post='2486156']
Haha. Sex on fire?
[size=4][/quote][/size][quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1403777918' post='2486170']
A walking blues?
[/quote]

I'm going to have a crack at 'Mercy' - The Third Degree version, not Duffy's dirge...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU12FrWWVqA&feature=kp

[color=#222222]I'm not fan of relicing to that degree, but the work involved and attention to detail is brilliant. Looks like a real beaut, discreet. Enjoy![/color]
[color=#222222][/color]
[color=#222222]Has anyone worked out what pickups Limelight use, yet? They seem to sound pretty good.[/color]

Incredible detail work! How do the machine heads feel? I had a set of similar rivet-style tuners on my '74 with half of that corrosion, and they were almost impossible to turn - I shudder to think what they would have been like with that much green on them! I ended up replacing them with late-'70s-style Schallers.

That looks like a great bass and one that you could have endless years of fun playing, so good luck to you. I am looking forward to hearing about how it sounds, but I would hazard a guess that it will be something along the lines of " like a really good Jazz Bass !" :)

Somehow he has managed to make that relic job look genuinely weathered. I wouldn't be surprised if he has been using that bass to do some gardening with at some point. You are lucky he didn't charge you extra for that .

[quote name='fun size nick' timestamp='1403792141' post='2486455']
Incredible detail work! How do the machine heads feel? I had a set of similar rivet-style tuners on my '74 with half of that corrosion, and they were almost impossible to turn - I shudder to think what they would have been like with that much green on them! I ended up replacing them with late-'70s-style Schallers.
[/quote]

They are smooth and positive. They only [i]look [/i]worn. :)

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1403795468' post='2486508']
That looks like a great bass and one that you could have endless years of fun playing, so good luck to you. I am looking forward to hearing about how it sounds, but I would hazard a guess that it will be something along the lines of " like a really good Jazz Bass !" :)
[/quote]

It sounds like a really good Jazz Bass. What else? :)

Edited by discreet