Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why do strings that play well on a P not necessarily do the same on a J?

Clarky

I am always playing around with strings. I recently acquired a 1983 JV Precision with La Bella standard gauge flats (45-105) on and love these strings. So I thought I'd buy a set for my JV Jazz ... and they don't play anything like as nicely (tension feels different, can't get action as low as I can with lighter gauge Joe Osborn flats).

Why is this so? A Fender BBOT bridge is a Fender BBOT of bridge, the scale length is the same 34", the after-lengths to tuners are near identical so the only difference is the spacing of the strings. Is it psychological, to do with the strings feeling more crowded due to string spacing? Dunno. Either way, I took them off and put back on the Joe Osborn flats which suit my Jazz much better. I have also found this in the past with other strings (eg TI Flats and Ernie Ball nickel rounds)

Just seems odd. Oh and I am bored

Edited by Clarky

When you put the new strings on the Jazz they were, ummm, obviously new and will have more 'give' than older well bedded-in strings on another bass. New strings clearly do stretch more than old strings and over time I suppose that could account for some of the change in feel. There will obviously be minor differences in how two instruments carry their strings (neck profile, fingerboard radius, neck angle with respect to the body, fret profile, amount of relief, nut slot depth, action) so that might also contribute to a difference in feel.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1401870688' post='2467596']
I guess the different woods used in the JV may also make a difference. Is it basswood? Maybe that affects the tone more with these strings? :)
[/quote]
Well the P and J are both early 1980s Squier JV reissues patterned off the 1962 originals and thus I assume each has an alder body. They both have a rosewood board and maple neck. So as far as I can tell, the body woods wouldn't really make much/any difference

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1401871463' post='2467607']
it's the bbot

it is evil and contains gremlins

remove it

your problems will be solved

hope this helps :)
[/quote]
Ze prob-lem is sol-ved
[url=""][/url]

Yes, it's odd that there should be such differences
Plus, of course, you might prefer your P bass with one set of strings
while another P bass player might pick up your bass
and dislike the sound and playability of the strings

Moreover, they may not note such differences....
Perhaps some of it is psychological?
You tell yourself that you like certain strings, or that there is a big difference
where the difference is actually not as great in reality?

Anyhow, keep experimenting with strings Clarky....
.... and I'll have your rejects for a bargain price ;)

And let us know how you get on with the pre-stretched strings from your Precision

Perhaps a P and a J give a totally different impression of the strings fitted because of the pickups?
It could be that the sound you get from each has a bearing on your perception of the strings.
Or maybe not! But it's the only big difference I can think of between those two basses. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1401871825' post='2467612']
But it's the only big difference I can think of between those two basses. :)
[/quote]

Sir,

You occlude - perhaps wilfully? - the most obvious difference between a P and a J. [i]The bodies are of a different shape.[/i]

It is widely known that - compared to a P - the visibly 'offset' nature of the Jazz body shifts the node of fundamental psychic resonance 22mm to the left* relative to the player's ribcage. Moving this node away from the liver increases the stimulation of atrabilious humours, resulting in a false sensation of wariness and uncertainty.

It beggars belief that you purport to be unaware of this effect.

When a gentleman commits a solecism of this nature it is customary for him to withdraw from public life. I confidently anticipate your announcement to this effect in the London Gazette.

[size=2]* Or to the right if a LH Jazz. (Source: Tomkins. Thomkins - Univ. Auckland, NZ. 1972)[/size]

[size=2].[/size]

Edited by skankdelvar

Just because one make and type of sting work well for you on one bass doesn't mean they will work equally well on another. I've learnt this the hard way through trial and error and spending a lot of money on strings.

Obviously your favourite set is a good starting point on another bass, but never take anything for granted.

Even on something as precision engineered as a Gus bass there are enough differences between instruments that mean my black Gus performs much better with a slightly heavier gauge of LaBella Steels than the ones I use on the CAR Gus.

I've learnt to live with it and stop letting it surprise me - except when I'm pleasantly surprised because a set that I like on one bass also works equally well on another.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1401887627' post='2467857']
It is widely known that - compared to a P - the visibly 'offset' nature of the Jazz body shifts the node of fundamental psychic resonance 22mm to the left relative to the player's ribcage. Moving this node away from the liver increases the stimulation of atrabilious humours, resulting in a false sensation of wariness and uncertainty.
[/quote]

That would certainly explain why, when playing a Jazz, I tend to suffer from anxiety leading to qualms...
Very well then - I shall withdraw to my atelier and live the life of a hermit. Goodbye!

I should add, skank you may be on to something there. Ever since I got my Jazz I have suffered from stomach pains at night, and resultant insomnia. Its clearly the atrabilious humours. Now they don't include that in arguments about which bass is best for metal

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1401888130' post='2467865']
Very well then - I shall withdraw to my atelier and live the life of a hermit. Goodbye!
[/quote]

Goodbye :(

[size=3]Well-wishers bid adieu as Discreet departs for atelier in his float-plane 'Bessie Mae'[/size]

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1401889322' post='2467880']
I should add, skank you may be on to something there. Ever since I got my Jazz I have suffered from stomach pains at night, and resultant insomnia.
[/quote]

I would recommend you consult Sir Impey Biggs of Harley Street. He is the outstanding man in the field of aestheric miasmas.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1401888126' post='2467864']
... there are enough differences between instruments that mean my black Gus performs much better with a slightly heavier gauge of LaBella Steels than the ones I use on the CAR Gus.

[/quote]

Black has always been associated with heavy, in music, whereas Candy Apple Red even [i][b]sounds [/b][/i]lighter-weight.

:)

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1401889435' post='2467883']
Goodbye :(

[size=3]Well-wishers bid adieu as Discreet departs for atelier in his float-plane 'Bessie Mae'[/size]

[/quote]

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Just%20Stuff/GIF%20files/Sadmoving_zpsa834e0fa.gif.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/GIF%20files/Sadmoving_zpsa834e0fa.gif[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1401889578' post='2467885']
Black has always been associated with heavy, in music, whereas Candy Apple Red even [i][b]sounds [/b][/i]lighter-weight.

:)
[/quote]

Having 'spent an evening' in the company of Ms Candy Applered I may assure you she is no lightweight. Plenty of give [i]there[/i].

I think hand position sometimes influneces comparisons between p and j basses. The hand is generally further towards the neck on a p bass, where the string behaves differently, more excursion and flap, striking pole pieces, end of the fretboard etc.
just mulling really.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1401893941' post='2467970']
Didn't take long to go downhill - and it wasn't even my fault! :D
[/quote]

It's [i]always[/i] your fault.

Now you've gone and destroyed Clarky's thread. How can you live with the shame?

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1401903676' post='2468155']
It's [i]always[/i] your fault. Now you've gone and destroyed Clarky's thread. How can you live with the shame?
[/quote]

:blush:[size=4] I'll get over it. I usually do... sorry, Clarky. ;)[/size]