Why become a member? ×

Amp/playing concern

lowlandtrees

I have a Roland 100 cube. I have developed a style of playing some songs using a small rubber mallet. Sounds very rocky funky. My concern is that I have knackered the driver/speaker. Could loading the speaker at high volumes with an aggressive strike cause damage?
I am looking for a new rig anyway...one that will take my DB and ebass....something like a Euphonic Audio doubler....while I can afford to wreck my Roland (got it cheap) I dont want to invest in EA stuff and have the same problem.

I can't answer the question, but I would imagine that yes it is possible to damage the speaker in this way. My amp has a VU meter and I stay clear of the red zone.
Anyway reminded me of seeing a guy play the guitar with a spanner once. A good old metal spanner.

I'm curious about this technique now, I once saw Van Halen playing his guitar with an electric drill, I don't think his back line was damaged although it was squealing like a stuck pig ! Doesn't Mr Levin play his bass with sticks on his fingers ?

I think Tony Levin plays with very light sticks attached to his fingers. I use a marimba hammer. It has a light rubber ball at the end of a round stick. You get a powerful sound but it loads the speaker. Takes a bit of practice to get accurate and not break strings. It isn t suitable for everything but I like it for funky rock stuff. I like to use heavy strings. I am sure more skilled players could get a similar sound with slap but I came into bass playing at a late age and never learned that.

I second the use of a limiter. It could be set so that it doesn't affect regular playing, but anything over a certain volume will be clamped right down.

A thumpinator or other high pass filter (HPF Deck) could work as long as the loud attack part of the note is in the sub bass region. If you have a smartphone, try using an RTA anyalyser app to see which frequencies are offending the most.

+1 on a limiter..

One with variable attack and release times too so you make sure the compressor 'grabs' the transient by setting a border-line zero attack time and probably a quick release time so once the transient is under control the compressor 'lets go' and doesn't kill the note.

A highpass filter may help also as suggested depending on the frequency content.

The speaker is cracklin like f--- sorry billio......was Ok until I cranked it up. Had all knobs (including gain) at 12 oclock. I am looking at EA doubler with an EA speaker and don t want to risk it. Will def go for a limiter. I assume that you can have a pedal to switch on and off when I use the DB? Is the SFX Thumpinator the way to go or will it change the sound too much?

[quote name='lowlandtrees' timestamp='1400654227' post='2455747']
Is the SFX Thumpinator the way to go or will it change the sound too much?
[/quote]

It is supposed to remove the very low frequencies that we don't really hear anyway - so no, it shouldn't change the sound too much.

[quote name='lowlandtrees' timestamp='1400654227' post='2455747']
The speaker is cracklin like f--- sorry billio......was Ok until I cranked it up. Had all knobs (including gain) at 12 oclock. I am looking at EA doubler with an EA speaker and don t want to risk it. Will def go for a limiter. I assume that you can have a pedal to switch on and off when I use the DB? Is the SFX Thumpinator the way to go or will it change the sound too much?
[/quote] go for the highest spec cab you can with a high end driver that can deal with the sort of punishment you're going to put it through...