Why become a member? ×

Anyone using a stand to play while stood up?

Jezyorkshire

Theres a limit because after 35 years of wear and tear playing guitar/ bass and saxophone with weight round my neck and shoulder and recent history of frozen shoulder , i cant carry on working in the same way, i play in a corporate band were the emphasis is on providng entertaiment, where it is expected that you perform stood up 99% of the time, hence why i need a support to play stood up, or like you say , i give up doin that line of work. at 54 year old with the issues i have with this problem and an older history of sciattica im not good employable material !
I dont mind playing sat down but that wouldnt be acceptabe for the kind of paid gigs i do.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1398035527' post='2429814']
I have seen bands that, for songs that require changing from an acoustic guitar to electric, have the acoustic on a stand so they can play it while having their electric strapped on as normal, and can walk away from the acoustic without hassle. So, while I can't give any more detail I can say that stands do exist.
[/quote]

Ditto - I've seen Carlos Santana doing exactly that, but I can't offer anything more specific I'm afraid.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1398197852' post='2431616']
There's a set of bass pedals here... :mellow: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/228673-prog-rock-set-of-70s-bass-pedals-l350-ono/page__pid__2355213#entry2355213"]Bass pedal unit for sale...[/url]
[/quote]

What, he's going to play the bass pedals standing up, grinning at the audience with his hands in his pockets?? :lol:

As already mentioned there are basses which weigh next to nothing. Maybe try a Soloette or the cheaper Aria Sinsonido?

For practice I use a Sinsonido, a Markbass LMII and a 1x10 neo cab (no back problems, just lazy!), a child could carry it in one trip I reckon. Standing and playing with the Sinsonido is a breeze, almost like there is no bass there!

Wonder if J Bruce (bass player of some repute) would be sacked from band for using stool. As a bass player of a similar age I understand where you are at. My saviours have been Warwick Corvettes and a Peavey milestone. They seem to weigh next to nothing and stiil sound good. Sitting down I still use Kramer Alu neck bass, but it is heavy to play standing up. Search for the lightweight bass....

Edited by 3below

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1398417880' post='2433836']
As already mentioned there are basses which weigh next to nothing. Maybe try a Soloette or the cheaper Aria Sinsonido?

For practice I use a Sinsonido, a Markbass LMII and a 1x10 neo cab (no back problems, just lazy!), a child could carry it in one trip I reckon. Standing and playing with the Sinsonido is a breeze, almost like there is no bass there!
[/quote]

Another vote for the Sinsonido.

If that's too radical, look at Ibanez GSRM-20. No heavier than an electric guitar, about the same size, and you can get a new one for about £160.

Edited by alyctes

Have you seen the neck and shoulders thread in general discussion? The chap has bought exactly what you describe

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/236015-playing-bass-with-neck-shoulder-issues/page__pid__2441261#entry2441261

http://www.purewaveaudio.com/furniture-and-stands/stands/stand-accessories/mbrace-guitar-holder/

Edited by Roland Rock

I can't stand up for more than about 30 minutes without severe pain in my back (soft tissue damage from a bad motorcycle accident in 2001) so I have a stool on stage and when I need to sit down, I do. Should I ever play at a corporate event, that's what I'd do too. If you can't go down the stool route (have you discussed it with the rest of the band?) then I recommend getting yourself a wheelchair and being pushed on stage, then you can play sitting down all evening and no-one would dare sack you.