Why become a member? ×

I'm skint and in debt, a perfect time to buy a Fender Jazz right?

col.decker

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1397328222' post='2422919']
YES! I'm a student with debts and no income and just bought a stingray :D
[/quote]

Excellent choice.

You will most likely be unemployed and on the scrap heap after you graduate, so at least you will have a nice bass to play to keep yourself occupied.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='col.decker' timestamp='1397325614' post='2422891']
Namely a Mexican Marcus Miller mk2. Unless you know of any horror stories of course. Put me off and save my marriage :)
[/quote]

A lot depends on how nice your wife is.

If she is attractive, obedient, a good cook and enthusiastic about housework then I would say pass on the Marcus Miller Jazz Bass, because they may sound quite good but they do tend to be fairly heavy due to the ash body , and as far as I know they don't clean the toilet and have your tea waiting for you when you get home from work. .

Edited by Dingus

You will wish you hadnt wben the third bill arrives and the amount is about the same as the first bill because you are eating beans on toast continually to.save money for the minimum payment.
Then you willl get fed up and try to sell it at a tragic loss which could take two months. By then you will have no wife and no friends due to uncontrollable flatulence from all the beans youve eaten.

Simple. Opt for marriage and ask your wife to buy it.....

if you're going to live in poverty and have your wife leave you over the destitution your bass buying habits have got you into can I respectfully suggest you do it with a bass a fair bit more exciting than a mexican mm Fender?

[b] [i][color=#222222]"I'm skint and in debt, a perfect time to buy a Fender jazz right?"[/color][/i][/b]

Wrong.

If you are skint and in debt it is the worst possible time to buy a Fender jazz ...or any other bass.

Play the bass that you already have, concentrate on the art of mastering the bass and become a better player instead - it's free.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1397394005' post='2423450']
[b] [i]"I'm skint and in debt, a perfect time to buy a Fender jazz right?"[/i][/b]

Wrong.

If you are skint and in debt it is the worst possible time to buy a Fender jazz ...or any other bass.

Play the bass that you already have, concentrate on the art of mastering the bass and become a better player instead - it's free.
[/quote]

This ^^

It is far more satisfying to buy kit from funds that you have than on the never-never. Credit cards balances typically attract some of the highest APRs outside of Wonga-land, so you will end up paying massively more for your bass. If you have a student loan, that will be bled from you over many years, but I would say make it a priority to pay off other existing debts. Believe me, it's a great feeling to be debt-free.

If you really want the sound of a new bass, stay in one weekend and use the beer money saved to buy a new set of decent strings.

[/sensible advice]

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1397394750' post='2423460']

This ^^

It is far more satisfying to buy kit from funds that you have than on the never-never. Credit cards balances typically attract some of the highest APRs outside of Wonga-land, so you will end up paying massively more for your bass. If you have a student loan, that will be bled from you over many years, but I would say make it a priority to pay off other existing debts. Believe me, it's a great feeling to be debt-free.

If you really want the sound of a new bass, stay in one weekend and use the beer money saved to buy a new set of decent strings.

[/sensible advice]
[/quote]

this is worth listening to. Wise words. Credit cards are bad..

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1397412044' post='2423697']
It took me 2 solid years earning a decent wage to pay off my student excesses. Honestly, do yourself a solid and chop up the credit card now.
[/quote]

Can I just reiterate the point on credit cards and instruments in your situation all joking aside. If you have not got the money and you are intending to meet minimum payments kamikaze style, bass buying will lead in all seriousness to the situation I joked about before in a post above about minimum payments being all you can meet and the amount owed not changing months on. Then you will try to sell the bass at a loss to try to clear it and a end up with a shortfall and money owed with nothing to show for it.
Credit cards are a nightmare once out of control and are wise for certain situations but unwise for what you are describing.

I have tried this with the best intentions in the world and learnt a lesson. What's true is that a bass paid for with cash saved already is 1000% sweeter and totally guilt free and enjoyable. I ain't being a bore with this, I just wanna save you a bit of grief.

Cheers

Martin Lewis once said that if credit cards were called, much more accurately, debt cards then most likely far fewer people would get into such problems or even take one out in the first place.
If you're seriously considering putting yourself in penury, make it count. . No point getting something mass produced; if you really want one of those just save for a while as they'll be on the second hand market (probably on here!) anyway once you can actually afford one.

I think the biggest mistake I made was buying a bass on finance...

The bass was one of those the new Fender Dimension basses, but because I thought paying a little off every month would be 'cheap' I thought I'd buy myself a new case and a load of new cables taking the price up to £500+.

Still paying it off and I hate the bass.

Edited by Weststarx

Don't do it. Any fool can get a 'debtor's card' nowadays, and a marriage is worth far more than that.

We wall love new kit. It's exciting and we are convinced that it will make us better players/make us sound better/cure diseases etc… but the truth is that kit does't make us play or sound better, shopping for kit detracts from the real business of mastery of the instrument; THAT is what makes us play and sound better.

Sorry to be a buzzkill, but it's the truth.

The problem is that you might still be alive tomorrow. Still, since there's no talking sense to people who can't think more than a few hours ahead, why stop at a new bass? Though if a bass is the pinnacle of such risky ambition then there's probably no point in appealing to a greater imagination. Enjoy the bass - it could be the most expensive thing you ever buy.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1397418418' post='2423762']
We wall love new kit. It's exciting and we are convinced that it will make us better players/make us sound better/cure diseases etc… but the truth is that kit does't make us play or sound better, shopping for kit detracts from the real business of mastery of the instrument; THAT is what makes us play and sound better.

[/quote]

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1397422357' post='2423826']
Enjoy the bass - it could be the most expensive thing you ever buy.
[/quote]

These quotes shall remain in my head for every guitar or bass I shall ever buy again.

Edited by Weststarx

Credit Cards are the devils work. I have suffered at their hands. My fault entirely. Finally cleared the debts after a lot of pain.

But I totally get the excitement of choosing and finally pressing "Buy". The anticipation of the new arrival. That feeling when it arrives is so exciting.....a few days later, you think, maybe a new strap, strings, pedal will help you get more out of your purchase. The excitement builds as you get ready to press "Buy" again. A few weeks later, the bill arrives, you make the minimum payment, and notice you still have some "available credit" left.....feeling pretty down about the bill and the debt, you decide to 'treat' yourself one more time.........and so the cycle continues until that 'available credit' is nil. The minimum payment is huge. Reality bites and you start to think about selling things to make payments. This time, when you sell something, it hardly dents the bill and you are left with nothing but interest payments and a debt that refuses to die.

I think one way to absolutely know what you want is to have to save up for it. All that time and anticipation makes it so you really, really don't want to make a mistake.

It's tempting to say it takes discipline, but in my case it's probably more just a matter of not having any choice, I have never had a credit card, overdraft or a loan, never tried to get one, don't want one and wouldn't know how to go about getting one. So I can't spend what I don't have.