Why become a member? ×

Rehearsal Studios

titchfieldrelic

Our band was formed when we were at King Alfred's College in Winchester from 1968 to 1971. We now live in different parts of the South. When we reformed six years ago, we decided to meet monthly and rehearse on a cyclical basis in the areas where we live, so we have visited various studios in Hampshire, Surrey, Essex and Cambridgeshire. I have to say most are scruffy, ramshackle and dirty. The general standard is poor. It's not unusual to find a tide-mark on my shoes after a vist to the toilet! Why is it that so many studios offer so little in the way of cleanliness, comfort, space and amenity?

The only studio we have found where the whole experience is really excellent is Blue Shed in Soham.

It would be wrong for Basschatters to use this forum to identify the worst studios, but it would be really helpful for those of us using studio facilities to be advised of other places to go that set a high standard.

In Birmingham there's this place which is really good

[url="http://www.theoxygenrooms.com"]http://www.theoxygenrooms.com[/url]

Then there's this place at the other end of the spectrum, last time I was there it was a dump. I'm guessing it's probably used mainly by males.

[url="http://www.robannas-studios.co.uk"]http://www.robannas-studios.co.uk[/url]

The only one I've used in London is this one, very good but also quite expensive. The once they even charged us for using a keyboard stand.

[url="http://www.residentstudios.com/about-us/"]http://www.residentstudios.com/about-us/[/url]

I've been to one in Leicester a few times, just out of the city centre, that was good, but I don't remember the name.

All of the ones I've been to in London are awful filthy places.... But they all have every room full for every hour of the day and we have to book well in advance to secure a slot... so If you were in charge why would you be spending any money, time or effort in upgrading it, when the alternative is leaving it as it is and raking in the cash?

I think owners of studios get fed up with the way bands treat the places so they go downhill. An old mate of mine opened a rehearsal complex and swore he would keep it to a high standard. After 12 months it was a dump. He said he was fed up of replacing blown amps, broken mics and cleaning up fag ash and food. He simply could not afford to keep replacing things.
We rehearse at a studio that is not advertised. We were lucky to be asked there and this owner selects the bands he wants to use it.

Been to a few in Nottingham.

By far the best I've been to is magnet studios.
Good size rooms, clean. Lots of crap to buy if you forget something.
Range of equipment, and you can use either a mesa 400 or ampeg SVT 2 pro with mathching cabs for a extra cost.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1395734614' post='2405523']
I think owners of studios get fed up with the way bands treat the places so they go downhill. An old mate of mine opened a rehearsal complex and swore he would keep it to a high standard. After 12 months it was a dump. He said he was fed up of replacing blown amps, broken mics and cleaning up fag ash and food. He simply could not afford to keep replacing things.
We rehearse at a studio that is not advertised. We were lucky to be asked there and this owner selects the bands he wants to use it.
[/quote]

I would say that's more down to his poor management.
Stuff breaks that's fair but stuff broken due to neglect or incompetence or plain just breaking it, the bands should be held accountable and that's that really.
Running something like a rehearsal studio isn't a case of set it up, bands us it and then the dough rolls in.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1395734614' post='2405523']
[b]We rehearse at a studio that is not advertised. We were lucky to be asked there and this owner selects the bands he wants to use it.[/b]
[/quote]

This is the way to do it..... and you can apply the same method to the gigs you play...IMO

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1395736146' post='2405546']
I would say that's more down to his poor management.
Stuff breaks that's fair but stuff broken due to neglect or incompetence or plain just breaking it, the bands should be held accountable and that's that really.
Running something like a rehearsal studio isn't a case of set it up, bands us it and then the dough rolls in.
[/quote]

Possibly an element yes, but I think rehearsal rooms are a breeding ground for a bunch of mates to get together to have a go at forming a band without knowledge of using the equipment. He has no problem with stuff breaking as thats part of the job, but having mics thrown on the floor, amps blown due to having the gain up full and drum kits broken gets a bit tedious. I would imagine trying to get someone who has just blown and amp due to misuse to pay for it would be often met with a few choice words.

Haven't been to that many, but as noted above most are dives, but the nicest I've been to is West Star in High Wycombe.
I think the owners of these damp any dirty studios think that WE are damp and dirty and treat us with as much respect as their rooms.
Perhaps they need to be told...........

Quad in Leicester is superb, if pricy. I think the big difference is that a lot of rooms are decorated in gloss paint, and are very echoey with tiny PAs. The cables are never the right length, the amps are often battered. If everyone's stood in the wrong place in an echo chamber with bad amps and a singer no-one can hear, the overall experience will be annoying, so why should you clean up? In places that are well set up to begin with though, and sound good because the rooms are thoughtfully put together and well maintained, you are more likely to enjoy the experience and treat the place with a bit of respect.

Also, Quad set the room up for you, rather than just give you a cheap box full of leads and old mics, and are also very categorical that if you break anything, it's you that's getting the bill, and don't touch anything you don't need to. Keeping musicians away from the rig is probably half of the battle in stopping amps getting blown up.

And the final touch - no teenagers. Lovely.

[quote name='Tom Brookes Music' timestamp='1395745776' post='2405664']
Riff Factory in Stoke on Trent is fantastic....and only 20 quid for 3 hours including a good bass amp guitar amp and drum shell setup.

Ant Hulme runs it. Top bloke.
[/quote]

Yeh, he's a very good mate of mine and his studio is excellent.

He also struggles with equipment breakages but with good management is staying on top of these costs, so it can be done

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1395744946' post='2405652']

Possibly an element yes, but I think rehearsal rooms are a breeding ground for a bunch of mates to get together to have a go at forming a band without knowledge of using the equipment. He has no problem with stuff breaking as thats part of the job, but having mics thrown on the floor, amps blown due to having the gain up full and drum kits broken gets a bit tedious. I would imagine trying to get someone who has just blown and amp due to misuse to pay for it would be often met with a few choice words.
[/quote]

Aye, I get this feeling when we do multiple band nights, some 'bands' see it as an apportunity to piss about and get lashed with mates.

I can recommend Music Box Studios in Cardiff [url="http://www.musicboxstudios.co.uk/"]http://www.musicboxstudios.co.uk/[/url]. Several rooms for hire, each equipped with PA and drum kit. Amps are available for hire, and there is a shop that sells bits and bobs (strings, drum sticks, pedal batteries) as well as tuck.

The Studios are run by musicians, and it's obvious that they care about what they're doing.

[quote name='titchfieldrelic' timestamp='1395703055' post='2405418']
Our band was formed when we were at King Alfred's College in Winchester from 1968 to 1971. We now live in different parts of the South. When we reformed six years ago, we decided to meet monthly and rehearse on a cyclical basis in the areas where we live, so we have visited various studios in Hampshire, Surrey, Essex and Cambridgeshire. I have to say most are scruffy, ramshackle and dirty. The general standard is poor. It's not unusual to find a tide-mark on my shoes after a vist to the toilet! Why is it that so many studios offer so little in the way of cleanliness, comfort, space and amenity?

The only studio we have found where the whole experience is really excellent is Blue Shed in Soham.

[/quote]

We're clean!! Come and see us in Southampton....

[url="http://www.riverstudios.co.uk"]River Studios[/url]

[quote name='winterfire666' timestamp='1395759859' post='2405889']
All the ones near to me are useless. we currently use the extention at my dads house but he is thinking of downsizing And its not ideal.Does anyone know any good places in the manchester area.
[/quote]

We've been using [url="http://www.shure5studios.co.uk/"]http://www.shure5studios.co.uk/[/url] for the last 5 or 6 months, coming from an old fashioned dive.

It's not perfect yet, but it's being developed week in week out.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Not everyone, of course, wants air conditioned, modern, nicely decorated, sound-treated studios with recording facilities, lounge, shop/cafe and immaculately clean toilets. But our band members are all over 60 and we like a bit of comfort. We're running out of time and we're trying to make the most of it. We think we're rockers, but codgers is probably closer to the mark! Anyway, I think we need as many bass chatters as possible to nominate studios throughout the country with good facilities to save those of us who don't want to from 'slumming it' in a cold, damp concrete bunker full of fag ash and empty beer cans.

I'm not far from Southampton, so I'll check out River Studios. The website looks promising!

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1395735929' post='2405541']
By far the best I've been to is magnet studios.
Good size rooms, clean. Lots of crap to buy if you forget something.
Range of equipment, and you can use either a mesa 400 or ampeg SVT 2 pro with mathching cabs for a extra cost.
[/quote]

However if you want anything but the gloomiest of mood lighting in which to set up and play then you'll need to bring your own lighting rig. I suppose it's good practice for getting ready in gig conditions, but I don't like it much. Also I'm not convinced that the level of between room sound proofing is adequate for some of the bands that rehearse there. I once spent a rather miserable Sunday in the room next to Six by Seven who were so loud that they drowned out my band during our quieter parts!

My favourite in Nottingham is the Octave Rooms which is still rather good because it's still quite new.