Why become a member? ×

Rush 2015

KevB

Sorry if this is old news, not been around much over last 3 weeks.

[url="http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/rush-plotting-41st-anniversary-tour-for-2015-20140320"]http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/rush-plotting-41st-anniversary-tour-for-2015-20140320[/url]

Didn't go to any shows on Clockwork Angels tour so if they did a really interesting set list with a lot of obscure stuff on it from 70's I might get interested. Can Geddy actually sing a lot of that stuff any more though? When I've seen them in 'modern times' things like 2112 and Circumstances have been detuned, doesn't sound quite right.

That was news to me, so thanks! B)

I love Rush. They are my favourite band by quite a long way. I have been seriously into them since 1979.

But I didn't see them on the CA tour. A combination of logistical issues and the outrageous ticket prices :rolleyes:

This sounds interesting... but would be even more "fan oriented" if they played some smaller venues where the sound was actually worth listening to!

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1395672701' post='2404875'] That was news to me, so thanks! B) I love Rush. They are my favourite band by quite a long way. I have been seriously into them since 1979. But I didn't see them on the CA tour. A combination of logistical issues and the outrageous ticket prices :rolleyes: This sounds interesting... but would be even more "fan oriented" if they played some smaller venues where the sound was actually worth listening to! [/quote] I thought about smaller venues too but can't seriously seen it happening, would be a long long tour to fit in all the places in the world where there was demand or or a lot of people would just miss out. If they are really making it a 'for the fans' tour then they should have an online poll in advance just to guage what long standing fans actually want to hear and try to make a workable setlist from it. Some stuff just may be beyond them now (vocally) but it would give them a framework to think about.

Edited by KevB

I've been a fan since yonks and i went to the CA tour....It was fantastic!! The string section they had really made a difference. Even with the bulk of the show about the new stuff they still played plenty old ones. I'm not bothered about doing a 40th a 41st is good enough. I worry that Geddys voice struggles these days so i think they are limited on what they can play so how much it'll be a fan oriented show i don't know, but then again all their shows are fan oriented...arn't they?

I'm a huge fan, but I didn't go to the last tour for a number of reasons: high ticket price, awful sound previously, Geddy's voice, CA's cheesy sixth-form concept and the tacky string section. (Yes, I am a fan. Honest.)

A fan-focussed set-list might tempt me back, but they'd have to massively drop the keys of most of the songs for it to work.,,

CA was the first tour I missed since the 80's, high ticket prices and for Time Machine the sound was terrible.
If Geddy could still perform the old stuff it would be great but not sure he can anymore. Still, not sure they would visit the UK again after so I would go anyway, might be the last tour.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1395673352' post='2404886']
Those stadium gigs are a real turn off, aren't they?
[/quote]

Well, I think they are... but I can't tell if you are trying to be ironic or sarcastic there! :huh: :D

Edited by Conan

I've been a fan for years, but due to a dislike of big gigs, always stayed away.

Did take the plunge with the CA tour, and it was amazing, really enjoyed it. Ged's voice was fine.

I'd certainly go again - definitely sounds interesting, and with the band now all over 60, there can only be a few tours left?

Caught the last tour at the MEN (Manchester) which is a notorious graveyard for sound engineers, and it was the best sound I've ever experienced there, and a great gig in general : a fantastic overall experience, with the visuals, and of course the amazing playing. The sour note was the two spray on t shirted, roided up, meathead Welshmen next to me - who threatened to 'do me' if I spilled the 4 pints each they had stacked on the floor in front of them, which required anyone trying to get passed to perform a cat burglar like series of contortions, to avoid their stash. They were shitfaced at 8 pm, and just got more unpleasant as the night went on. Despite my reluctance to reel out the Chaucerian "C word' , it is in this case entirely appropriate a a description of their attitude. I've had less grief (none) at a Motörhead gig full of Angels, who many would think were the last word in threatening.

I'll definitely go again to see them, and I agree about the prices and the stadiums, but if it's that or nothing....., and I doubt Geddy's voice would last a 100 date world tour - gigging back to back.

Edited by The Admiral

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1395702425' post='2405407']
The sour note was the two spray on t shirted, roided up, meathead Welshmen next to me - who threatened to 'do me' if I spilled the 4 pints each they had stacked on the floor in front of them, [/quote]

Typical Rush fans. I bet they were only there because of the orchestra.... :rolleyes:

When I read the title of this thread I assumed that Rush had recorded a sequel album to 2112 called "2015" , and it was going to be a concept album where they predicted what was going to happen next year, set to music

I too was a big Rush fan when I was younger, and started becoming a bit obsessed with them as a pre-teen in 1979. Back in those days Rush were a special band with a mystique to them that really only Led Zeppelin could match. I am sorry to say that most of the music they have made in the last few years has been absolute dross by comparison to their best work, and I wouldn't bother to go to one of their concerts nowadays, even if it was free.

I don't resent the fact that they have decided to keep going- they are a special band that have become a unique institution- but at the same time , I don't really want to see what they have become. Bands like Rush who tour the World doing these greatest hits shows remind me of a modern version of Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show , giving audiences a chance to glimse a very safe, family-friendly recreation of something that was once spontaneous, a bit dangerous and real . I like to remember Rush as they were in their prime , with full heads of hair, flat stomachs , wearing kimonos and frequently lost under swathes of dry ice and ambitious allegorical lyrics .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1395758541' post='2405866']
Bands like Rush who tour the World doing these greates hits shows remind me of a modern version of Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show , giving audiences a chance to glimse a very safe, family-friendly recreation of something that was once spontaneous, a bit dangerous and real .
[/quote]

I agree with most of your post, but I have to pull you on this point - I don't think they can be accused of peddling out greatest hits over and over again, not that they could do a show full of greatest hits anyway. They're continually pushing the new stuff.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1395758783' post='2405873']
I agree with most of your post, but I have to pull you on this point - I don't think they can be accused of peddling out greatest hits over and over again, not that they could do a show full of greatest hits anyway. They're continually pushing the new stuff.
[/quote]

You are absolutely right about Rush's normal set ,WoT, but I was thinking about the recent "themed " tours, where they played Moving Pictures and with an emphasis on 1980's material, and now this mooted tour in 2015 where, according to this press release, they are threatening to revisit the 1970's.

What I can say with complete conviction is that if Rush are going to play the songs from the 1970's era then Geddy Lee [u][i]has[/i][/u] to play his Rickenbacker, or people should ask for a refund. The prospect of them rattling through material from Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres with that crappy Jazz Bass/Sans Amp tone he favours nowadays doesn't bear thinking about.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1395761917' post='2405931']
You are absolutely right about Rush's normal set ,WoT, but I was thinking about the recent "themed " tours, where they played Moving Pictures and with an emphasis on 1980's material, and now this mooted tour in 2015 where, according to this press release, they are threatening to revisit the 1970's.

What I can say with complete conviction is that if Rush are going to play the songs from the 1970's era then Geddy Lee [u][i]has[/i][/u] to play his Rickenbacker, or people should ask for a refund. The prospect of them rattling through material from Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres with that crappy Jazz Bass/Sans Amp tone he favours nowadays doesn't bear thinking about.
[/quote]

Ah, gotcha.

TBH, the thought of Geddy's current voice tackling the old stuff fills me with dread...

Thinking about the age thing, Springsteen has a few years on the Rush boys, and he keeps regularly touring, recording, and giving it some by all accounts.

Could be a few more Rush years yet - they show no sign of stopping!

Maybe I'm wrong here, but hasn't Alex spoken out before prompting speculation, only for it to be groundless? Only remember something being mentioned on a forum about an R40 tour? Seems to be ring a bell.

I do hope they go on, sure we'll get another couple of albums even at their current rate. Not sure if I'd like too much 70s stuff though - records I love (I didn't hear then until the mid-80s), but it was all quite a long time ago....

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1395761917' post='2405931']
that crappy Jazz Bass/Sans Amp tone he favours nowadays...[/quote]

:lol: I like his tone with that combination! Now if you want to talk about awful, let's discuss superclean Wal and Superwound [s]elastic bands[/s] strings!! :blink:

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1395908012' post='2407721']
:lol: I like his tone with that combination! Now if you want to talk about awful, let's discuss superclean Wal and Superwound [s]elastic bands[/s] strings!! :blink:
[/quote]

Wal/Superwound was an awesome tone! Fight , fight, fight! :lol:

I can distinctly remember the first moment I saw the video for "Big Money" on Whistle Test back in 1985 when Power Windows had just been released , and being excited firstly that Geddy Lee was playing a Wal, and secondly that he had a long mullet very similar to the one I was sporting myself at the time.

I have nothing against Jazz Basses, far from it, as my guitar rack will testify, and I was excited when Geddy resurrected that black/maple bass for Counterparts and it sounds nice and meaty on that album, as you would expect considering it is essentially the sound of an old Fender cranked through a vintage Ampeg SVT, but after that album his tone went downhill , to my taste at least.

I've not seen them for 10 years, so I might be tempted by a 41st Anniversary tour. Despite it being the closest venue for me to see them at, I'll be avoiding Manchester Arena. Hopefully they'll do somewhere that sounds good.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1395928672' post='2408064'] I was excited when Geddy resurrected that black/maple bass for Counterparts and it sounds nice and meaty on that album, as you would expect considering it is essentially the sound of an old Fender cranked through a vintage Ampeg SVT, but after that album his tone went downhill , to my taste at least.
[/quote]

Yeah. I see where you are coming from. I think the gnarly, clanky Jazz tone worked well with the stripped-back, raunchy sound of that particular album. It sounds a lot more conspicuous and attention-seeking amid the more lush production of subsequent releases.

I wonder how much of it is linked to some kind of contract with Fender? I believe the Geddy Lee sig J bass is one of the most popular J models ever made. The fact that Geddy himself has played one (or something similar) pretty much exclusively for the past 20 years must keep the model in the public eye to some extent...

Edited by Conan