Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm annoyed at this bass.....

tommorichards

I got this bass the other week from Geedys nose on here, with full intention of turning it into a bass with which i could swap out pickups and generally try them out. However, it sounds too good to touch. Seriously. Massive P sound from it, like, pretty much the tone i want. Now im split between actually going ahead with the project, or putting a mud/p/j setup in it, or leaving it the funk alone and enjoying it. Its quite annoying really.

Anyway, have some pics to see for yourself. (theyre from geddys listing here)

the weird headstock arrangement

If an instrument inspires you to pick it up and play it, or create music, then that quality is way more valuable than the amount of money it is worth on the open market.

Looks from the front like there is enough room to take 4 pegs on the same side, so maybe you should restrict the modding to a new set of tuners and see how you feel about the bass after living with it for a while before making invasive mods that you can't reverse.

edit: quick check on google shows that the tuners should be four inline and this model was made in japan, so you won't be butchering some cheap encore/marlin if you hack this up.

Edited by SubsonicSimpleton

Ive already got some new tuners on the way. That one is designed to be mounted that way, so i think the originals broke at some time and the owner got replacements, as theres a second tuner thats a different type completely.

With regards to the respray, ive attached a piece of paper on the headstock to give it a painted headstock look, which i like. I was thinking respray for the body, but no idea what to go for colour wise.

aaaaand a pic of that

Edited by tommorichards

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1394793626' post='2395249']
Ive already got some new tuners on the way. That one is designed to be mounted that way, so i think the originals broke at some time and the owner got replacements, as theres a second tuner thats a different type completely.

With regards to the respray, ive attached a piece of paper on the headstock to give it a painted headstock look, which i like. I was thinking respray for the body, but no idea what to go for colour wise.

aaaaand a pic of that

Classy.

How about a deep blue for the body, with a go faster stripe, in white (like a Mustang)?
[/quote]

Don't touch the electronics. If it sounds how you want it to sound, then I can't see any point investing money into it. You might end up going in completely the wrong direction tone-wise.

A respray would be cool. But go for something different, or unique. Quirky, like the headstock. (Love the name by the way! ;))

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1394808108' post='2395470']
Daft question, what strings are on it? I bought a bass that had strings with red silks like that but I never knew what they were.
[/quote]

I'd guess a Rotosound Swing Bass?

Rather than a paint job, perhaps stick some vinyl on the headstock if you fancy a change? White, as per your bit of paper, might look nice? Black would give it a 'Duff Mckagan' look. If you wanted a Duff Mckagan look, that is :)

Pulled this one from Geddys sales thread The D string machine head looks like it could be reversed but it would need some pliers work to be able to remove the tunnig peg... i think it's too much work considering that the E string machine head is not even original. I say get a new set and stick it in there ;)

Yeah. I had a look at reversing the tuner, but its not possible due to the construction of it. The new set came today, but unfortunately the plates are the same size as the bottom one there, so theres a few visible holes now that theyre installed.

No idea what strings are on it, but sound sweet. I think i am thinking of leaving it alone electronically, but im awaiting inspiration on a colour scheme