Why become a member? ×

Need A New Computer or Tablet for Music Room, recommendations?

bagsieblue

I need to replace an old laptop in my home man cave / music study room, primary use is as a bass study aid.

Needed to:
Play music
Play videos (youtube etc)
View Sheet music
Browse Basschat etc.

What are others using, what would you recommend?

Laptop?, PC? Tablet?, iPad?

I'm sure other people will chime in recomendations, but it might be worth considering a Chromebook. These are designed to do everything via the Web, so there's no installing apps etc. Having said that, you can also store and play content on the internal disc like PDFs, music and videos. The biggest advantages are that they are cheap, you don't have to worry about viruses etc and you just sign in with your Google credentials. This last one is handy because you can hand it to kids, guests etc and they can login and use it without touching any of your stuff. The biggest disadvantage is that if you need particular installed software you're out of luck. As a muso you might have a favourite music recording tool that you like, but unless it's available on the Web you won't be able to use it.

I have one and it's ideal for the things that you have on your list, but i do also have a desktop PC that I can fall back on.

There are various ones available from different manufacturers - the Acer C720 has got good reviews and it's 200 quid so it might be worth a look.

I bought a used iPad on ebay and it has been great. Fraction of the original price too. Lots of add-ons available too. I'm going to look at the Alesis iDock II when it's available. It has all the ins and outs you need and you just slide the iPad into it and it is connected. Software is affordable too.

I picked up a little HP Touchsmart 11 for £290 delivered, it's an 11" Windows 8 ultraportable with a nice touchscreen and a low clocked quad core CPU with decent integrated graphics. Does everything I need to as well as some light gaming (PS3 era), the best thing is that even under load it runs completely cold.

If you want to spend a bit more you can get a nice full size laptop with a modern i5 (runs cooler) and dedicated Nvidia GPU for under £500 these days. Personally I wouldn't bother with a Chromebook, they offer far less functionality than a netbook and sooner or later you'll need to do something simple and it will come up short.

Btw if you get WIndows 8 you'll need this:
http://www.classicshell.net/

The problem with the ipad is when you type a reply & then quote someone, it gets rid of what you typed prior!
But I would say an ipad might be a good option. iOS apps handle latency really well.

For laptops, there's lots of good things in all budgets. I've got an HP G62 which has the fan in the bottom corner & is prone to clogging up & overheating. To get to it, you have to take the entire laptop apart & it's underneath everything (literally). It takes about 3-4 hours with a map & tools.
If I had the pennies, a MacBook Pro would be mine. :)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1394278733' post='2389787']
Good to see you back. :D
I had hoped you was ok & was just thinking last month that I hadn't seen you on here for some time.
[/quote]

I have been here off and on, mainly buying stuff!

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1394279080' post='2389792']
For laptops, there's lots of good things in all budgets. I've got an HP G62 which has the fan in the bottom corner & is prone to clogging up & overheating. To get to it, you have to take the entire laptop apart & it's underneath everything (literally). It takes about 3-4 hours with a map & tools.
[/quote]

Toshiba did this too (although it looks like they've changed their design now), they used to put their main fan right where it would be covered my someone's right knee. I got given one for repair and as I have a glass lounge table I couldn't reproduce the fault, took me ages to realise what was going on!

One of the things I like about AMDs new low clocked APUs is that at their normal clock they are fanless, even in turbo mode they are cold to the touch.

I'm an PC / Android kinda guy, yet I am going to recommend an iPad purely because they are great for musicians since there are so many cheap audio interfaces and audio apps for iOS, for studying/practising/recording as well as amp modelling and FX. So take that as a genuine recommendation of what I think might be best for you rather than just telling you to use what I use!

I use my Nexus 7 (Google's Android tablet) more than my laptop/desktop these days, and only use the PC for work. If you don't think that you might want to try some of the many iOS audio apps further down the line, then an Android tablet would be much cheaper than an iPad. My Dad has been struggling with his laptop lately, brought it round for a reinstallation, saw my Nexus and bought one himself straight away - he now only uses his laptop to manage his photo collection!

Edited by dannybuoy

iPad or high powered laptop

Either will do what you want.

Only reason why I suggested laptop Is because you can type on it and do a lot more without restriction

The iPad is more portable and can be a very powerful music tool with the right apps and employment

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1394264123' post='2389615']
I need to replace an old laptop in my home man cave / music study room, primary use is as a bass study aid.

Needed to:
Play music
Play videos (youtube etc)
View Sheet music
Browse Basschat etc.

What are others using, what would you recommend?

Laptop?, PC? Tablet?, iPad?
[/quote]

If you want to plug the bass into the tablet, Apple seems to be the only manufacturer that makes a good job of that.

If the bass is going through an external amp, with line in for the computer, then an android tablet would be fine. I've just bought an Advent Vega Note from Currys for £135. It's not an HD screen, not that I can tell the difference, but it'll do all the things you've listed, so long as there's wifi.
It's got 16gb internal storage and you can add a 32gb micro SD card.

Well I'll pitch in for a plain old fashioned desktop PC. Pound for MIP, they're the most cost effective bang for your buck computer-wise - assuming you don't want to move around.

A desktop will power a whole host of DAWs and SoftSynths. And for lengthy editing and composing, a mouse is better than a finger IMHO.

I'd consider what DAW and music software you want to use routinely, and from where you want to use it, then work back to your platform from there...

Have to say I don't know what DAW is!
Bass goes through a practice amp. I 'think' I'm fine with that - no immediate need to plug into the PC/Laptop/Tablet etc - unless I am greatly missing out on something by not doing so.

I basically stream tuition vids, backing tracks and pull up sheet music.
Probably the couple of things that I do the most are flip between a pdf of charts / dots (I'm trying to avoid TAB) and playing the music either on the device or streamed.

To be honest if that's all you need then a basic laptop will be more than enough, eBuyer have this for £250:
http://www.ebuyer.com/584180-hp-255-g1-laptop-h6r11ea-abu

For something more portable they have this for the same price:
www.ebuyer.com/623492-acer-aspire-v5-123-laptop-nx-mfrek-001

Neither will set the world alight but they are neat little machines for 250 notes, maybe add a cheap mixing desk (Behringer Xenyx 502 for £30) for more control over audio output as well as being able to plug your bass and headphones in for silent practice. You can get a silly amount of portable computing power for your money nowadays.

Ebuyer are very good btw if you do want a PC/Laptop.

I've been a PC person since day 1 and have hated apple because of their firm belief anyone not using an apple product was inferior. The one thing that has really changed my mind recently is Windows 8, which for tablets seems fine, but on a desktop it is hopeless. That single reason will mean my next laptop and desktop will probably be a Mac. I am also getting more and more frustrated with the browser wars and plug-ins that just seem to get more and more unstable with windows. Chrome, Firefox and IE all seem to be trying to make people use only their browser, meaning for good web function you have to install at least 2 different browsers. This forum posting area is one fine example..... it just does not work in the main editing mode.

Cheers,
Rich

Edited by Diablo

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1394547567' post='2392517']
I've been a PC person since day 1 and have hated apple because of their firm belief anyone not using an apple product was inferior. The one thing that has really changed my mind recently is Windows 8, which for tablets seems fine, but on a desktop it is hopeless.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.classicshell.net/"]http://www.classicshell.net/[/url]

You can also change the Start button to the Win7 one if you so wish:
[url="http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=174"]http://www.classicsh....php?f=18&t=174[/url]

If Microsoft hadn't forced the tile interface on people nobody would bat an eyelid about WIndows 8, it would just be seen as a continuation of the good work done with Windows 7. I am using Win8 with Classic Shell installed on a touchscreen laptop and it's very nice to use (and super quick), I actually prefer it to WIndows 7 ever so slightly. If I didn't have a touchscreen I would prefer Win7 though as they tiles are quick and handy sometimes but on a non-touch laptop they are a chore to use.

Edited by lemmywinks

[quote]If I didn't have a touchscreen I would prefer Win7 though as they tiles are quick and handy sometimes but on a non-touch laptop they are a chore to use. [/quote]

Just to be clear, my comments refer to non touchscreen use, and Windows 8 with a keyboard and mouse is hopeless IMHO. It is for tablets and touchscreens, which if you actually work on a machine (spreadsheets, word processing, email etc) rather than just surf the net, a touchscreen is as much use as a hog roast at a bar mitzvah. Windows 8 is a hog roast.

Cheers,
Rich

Honestly, it's less of a learning curve to either adapt to Windows 8, or learn how to tweak it to behave just like Windows 7, than it is to go Mac. You can get start menu replacements and disable all the metro stuff, and enable IE compatibility mode or just use Chrome/Firefox for BC.

iOS is cool, but OSX on the Mac is a major pain to work with compared to Windows!

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1394553586' post='2392601']
Just to be clear, my comments refer to non touchscreen use, and Windows 8 with a keyboard and mouse is hopeless IMHO. It is for tablets and touchscreens, which if you actually work on a machine (spreadsheets, word processing, email etc) rather than just surf the net, a touchscreen is as much use as a hog roast at a bar mitzvah. Windows 8 is a hog roast.
[/quote]

I'll post again and hope you actually take a look this time:
http://www.classicshell.net/

Windows 8 is pretty much Windows 7 with a tacked on touch interface, there's a full desktop there and the only thing missing is the Start menu. Install the above 5mb freeware program which takes less than a minute and you have full Windows 7 functionality.

It's a full desktop OS which is very much like the last one, not quite sure where you're getting this tablet OS stuff from as the tablet version is different, it only runs the metro apps and is designed to compete against Apple and Android tablets. Maybe you got confused between the two?

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1394554144' post='2392610']
Honestly, it's less of a learning curve to either adapt to Windows 8, or learn how to tweak it to behave just like Windows 7, than it is to go Mac. You can get start menu replacements and disable all the metro stuff, and enable IE compatibility mode or just use Chrome/Firefox for BC.

iOS is cool, but OSX on the Mac is a major pain to work with compared to Windows!
[/quote]

I don't believe so. Macs, because built on a unix box is so much more robust, secure and I find easier to use. But hey that's just me.

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1394482026' post='2391856']
Well I'll pitch in for a plain old fashioned desktop PC. Pound for MIP, they're the most cost effective bang for your buck computer-wise - assuming you don't want to move around.

A desktop will power a whole host of DAWs and SoftSynths. And for lengthy editing and composing, a mouse is better than a finger IMHO.

I'd consider what DAW and music software you want to use routinely, and from where you want to use it, then work back to your platform from there...
[/quote]

+1 Definately choose software first then find out which platform it works best on.