Why become a member? ×

Simon Gallup - The Cure

shizznit

I was a big Cure fan when I was a kid, but fell out of interest when I started to listen to other music genres. I have been listening to some of their albums this morning and it has only been until now that I have recognised how much of a great bass player Simon Gallup is.

Anyone else agree?

A little off topic here, but sort of on track.
I never set out to be a bassist, I've never had that 'seen bassist X play and had to learn bass' moment. I dabbled in a few instruments and settled with bass.
But whenever I go back to my old favourites from before my bass playing days I realise what bass prominent bands they all were, even one off songs I loved all have strong bass lines. Maybe it was there all along but it had to make it's way to the surface in it's own time.
I think I've just likened my love of bass to a splinter! :D

And as for Simon Gallup, yes awesome, The Cure were my favourite band in my teens. Having just bought a Bass VI I'm doing the same as you now and relearning old Cure tracks B) .

Edited by Maude

Simon Gallup's one of my main influences, along with Peter Hook, Stuart Morrow and JJ Burnel. I even played in a Cure tribute band a couple of years ago, and if anyone's interested the bass tabs I did can be found here:

http://www.chriswareham.demon.co.uk/curetabs/index.html

Favourite album is Faith, closely followed by Disintegration.

Legend has it Hooky was none too pleased at Gallup being 'heavily influenced' by him on Inbetween Days. He was one of my influences when I started out, and one of the reasons I've owned a black 'Ray in my time. Still love the Cure In Orange, one of my fave live vids.

[quote name='kendall' timestamp='1393259828' post='2377891']
Fascination Street - such a great bass line to play....

The Cure in Orange - is that the one where Simon rips the wig off Robert Smith and he's left with a crewcut? I remember Shake Dog Shake being pretty damn awesome on that vid......
[/quote]

too right - it's a brutal version.

damn fine live vid - i remember 'push' being a good'un too.

god, i used to love the cure :)

Re the Hook/Gallup thing, and I hate comparing bands sound but have a listen to 'Dreams never end', the first track on New Orders first album Movement.
The album came out in 81 from memory but the opening sequence is very 'Inbetween days' which didn't come out until, was it 85, Head on the door?
Movement is probably my favourite New Order album, and I adore The Cure so I really don't mean to start a Hook/Gallup thing, just an interesting similarity.

[quote name='MattM' timestamp='1393249481' post='2377716']
Legend has it Hooky was none too pleased at Gallup being 'heavily influenced' by him on Inbetween Days.
[/quote]

Which bit ?

The introducton ? i'd wager that's Robert Smith on a Fender VI - most of the higher-register bass parts on Cure songs are.

Gallup sometime plays them live on the bass IIRC.

Edited by ahpook

Yay, The Cure. My favourite band when I grew up. Still do stupid things to go and see them when I can.
I am very much like Maude up there. I never really thought about it at the time, but all the music I was listening to in my formative years had very prominent bass lines. The bass was in my blood, but I didn't know it then.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1393283081' post='2378373']

Which bit ?

The introducton ? i'd wager that's Robert Smith on a Fender VI - most of the higher-register bass parts on Cure songs are.

Gallup sometime plays them live on the bass IIRC.
[/quote]

Yup. Allegedly Hookys mother was listening to the radio when Inbetween Days came on and thought it was him playing. The high doubled strings bit could be done on a standard 4 string or a VI, the aforementioned Orange vid has Gallup playing it on his 'Ray, with Smith sporting an acoustic as I recall.

A Forest - awesome, particularly live...

Edited by MattM

[quote name='MattM' timestamp='1393339058' post='2378928']
Yup. Allegedly Hookys mother was listening to the radio when Inbetween Days came on and thought it was him playing. The high doubled strings bit could be done on a standard 4 string or a VI, the aforementioned Orange vid has Gallup playing it on his 'Ray, with Smith sporting an acoustic as I recall.

A Forest - awesome, particularly live...
[/quote]

Ah yes, but Porl Thompson's on the VI !!