Why become a member? ×

Retailer issues - really hacked off now!!

mrtcat

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1393442221' post='2380426']

And in my experience, the two Daves at Aguilar are just as approachable/happy to chat about gear too :-)
[/quote]

Not forgetting Alex from Barefaced too, he has emailed me several times and is always available on BC for a chat.
Cheers
Thebassman

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1393442709' post='2380431']

No, that's now Korg's responsibility. I'd get them to send it directly back to you.
[/quote]

It's the retailers responsibility to ensure that the item purchased is fit for purpose and if not exchange it if it has gone wrong in under a year. In fact, as far as Uk consumers are concerned, if it can be proved that the item was faulty from purchase a return to the retailer can be made up to six years (unless that has changed recently)

So, IF the itme was purchased in the Uk then Korg Uk will help in providing the hardware BUT it is the retailer who should be bending over backwards to ensure they are compliant with consumer rights.

Now, I expect that people may think I am biased, but frankly, Hartke Uk have been great considering really, manufacturers need not get involved with retailer gurantee and returns. I mean, if my TV goes wrong, i return it to the shop, not Samsung and I expect the shop to deal with it.

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1393433210' post='2380286']
I'm afraid its about the same level of poor customer service i got when i bought a Kilo from Thomann who finally took it back without issue but trying to get anything from Hartke was a bit of a waste of time. Eventually Larry H did email me after about 2 weeks if memory serves me right asking what the issue was. To be fair he at least got in touch with me. Customer service in US didn't get back to me at all and UK someone got back to me after Larry H did.
Pretty poor when the owner of the company gets back to you faster than his customer service departments. It was enough for me never to touch Hartke gear again.
I'm now sitting with a very nice GK 1001RBi.

It may have been a one off but doesnt sound like it. ???
My Kilo had a complete lack of volume. Could barely hear it at 50% on Vol / gains.

Dave
[/quote]

Using TC Electronic as an example, if you buy one of their amplifiers from a different country to the one your are in (US for example) then they don't honour your warranty. The retailer would also be expected to use it's own country's repair centre.

Therefore, to berate the customer services of the distributor in a different country to that of the retailer I think is unfair. I therefore would say that Hartke Uk have been really helpful considering. Maybe you're painting a bad image of the situation?

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1393448851' post='2380548']
It's the retailers responsibility to ensure that the item purchased is fit for purpose and if not exchange it if it has gone wrong in under a year. In fact, as far as Uk consumers are concerned, if it can be proved that the item was faulty from purchase a return to the retailer can be made up to six years (unless that has changed recently)

So, IF the itme was purchased in the Uk then Korg Uk will help in providing the hardware BUT it is the retailer who should be bending over backwards to ensure they are compliant with consumer rights.

Now, I expect that people may think I am biased, but frankly, Hartke Uk have been great considering really, manufacturers need not get involved with retailer gurantee and returns. I mean, if my TV goes wrong, i return it to the shop, not Samsung and I expect the shop to deal with it.
[/quote]

Dood, what I meant was that he doesn't need a 'workable relationship' with the shop to get his rights, that's just crap.

Yes, everything I hear about Hartke is good also.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1393449410' post='2380558']

Dood, what I meant was that he doesn't need a 'workable relationship' with the shop to get his rights, that's just crap.

Yes, everything I hear about Hartke is good also.
[/quote]

Cool cool, totally agree. His rights should be automatically acknowledged not have to be negotiated. The retailer is being ridiculous.

Certainly sounds like a retailer problem to me and it's these sort of situation where we really find out how good they are and how seriously they regard their customers. leaving a faulty amp lying around for three weeks before bothering to send it for repair seems pretty shoddy to me. They've let their customer down and they've let their supplier down. Seems unfair to give the retailer anonymity at the expense of Hartke.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1393454976' post='2380651']
Seems unfair to give the retailer anonymity at the expense of Hartke.
[/quote]

Exactly mate, I'm really not sure why the OP felt he could name the manufacturer - who wasn't really at fault in either cause (amps do occasionally go wrong) or response (which was immediate) - whilst the retailer who both failed and lied gets away with it? Pretty poor attitude IMO.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1393455651' post='2380660']

Exactly mate, I'm really not sure why the OP felt he could name the manufacturer - who wasn't really at fault in either cause (amps do occasionally go wrong) or response (which was immediate) - whilst the retailer who both failed and lied gets away with it? Pretty poor attitude IMO.
[/quote]

Did I at any point level my complaint at hartke or Korg? No. I came here for advice not to name and shame anyone. If it makes you happy it was Dawson's and there was nothing to stop you messaging me for details. To question my attitude is pretty annoying as I've simply been after people's advice or experiences to help me resolve my problem.

Fair enough, but by mentioning only the manufacturer you implicate them and not Dawsons, and you allow other members (well one in this case) to wade in and complain about the manufacturer who was pretty blameless here. Yes, I could PM you, but that doesn't help other members, and should they want to, it doesn't give Dawsons the opportunity to respond here.

Just a quick defense of[url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/10501-mrtcat/"] mrtcat[/url]. I think we have to be clear that some retailers, brands etc do not want to get onto forums for numerous reasons, some reasonable, some unreasonable. Often dialogue takes place behind the scenes and it is up to the individual posting to decide, based on the dealers (sometime overdue) response whether 'naming and shaming' is a reasonable response or whether a one off cock up on behalf of an otherwise responsible dealer is a reason to shame them.

Edited by HartkeUK

[quote name='HartkeUK' timestamp='1393436931' post='2380348']
Name one other owner in this trade who would have this level of interaction, so next time any of you are in New York go and see him. The store is full of toys by the way! (-;

In my experience when Larry does receive emails he will contact the relevant distributors asap and he puts pressure on them to contact their retailers, messages sent to Samson in the USA regarding overseas issues are treated in the same way. That means that a message to Larry may have to go through numerous people to get a resolution.
[/quote]

This is what happened to me in 2009; I went to the Bass Lounge in the old Mannys store and had a loooong chat with Larry in the bass department. We talked the gear I was using then (not saying), he suggested Hydrive cabinets as they were so lightweight (and he quipped that as no one is getting any younger, we bassists need all the help we can get)...he watched some stuff I had up You Tube - I was very active musically back then - and we struck a gentlemans agreement there and then. True to his word, he made the necessary arrangements with Korg (I think Gareth was involved somewhere along the line) and I had emails at home on my return. Sadly the head (LH1000) didn't cut it for me, so it went back and forth, but the 4x10 and 1x15 are still gigged once a fortnight and rehearsed weekly over four years later. They are fantastic and reliable units and as cool as feck.

Mr Hartke was gracious, humourous and very sweet to my wife (which helped cement the deal). He wasn't about last time I visited and I honestly doubt he would have any recollection of me, but I will probably pop in again later this year, just to say hello and thanks.
P

Just to clarify - in my response, I was trying to say that the whole package needs to be right with regards to shifting boxes. There's the product that has to be right, the correct distributor and the correct retailers that are chosen (to some extent) by the distributor to correctly push and act in a reputable manner that won't put the product (rightly or wrongly) in a bad light.

As proven here, a mistake by the retailer has unfairly painted the product manufactuer in a bad light.. however, I have to say, it's up to all parties along the distribution chain to make sure that they are acting in each other's interests. In this case - and it may be isolated - this doesn't seem to be the case.

I've spent a few hours with Larry chewing the fat... and he was very positive about my playing and was prepared to go the extra mile to get some Hartke in my hands when I got back to the UK. It's worth making the trip to see him in NY just so you can witness his enthusiasm. He was passing me basses left right and centre to try with the Hartke amps... I didn't feel that it was him on a hard sale mission... but more of him being excited about being to show me stuff and let them playing it. There's a pic of me out there somewhere with me and him and me with the Jack Bruce Warwick he has there.

To be honest, I'm very happy with what I've got gear wise... but if I wasn't, I would have to say, that Larry has got it down in terms of making people feel valued and he does have some great kit at some great prices. It's quite sad to read about this.

If I can add something here to the above comment. A few months after the Hartke gear arrived, I had a very heated exchange here with a young guy (so much so the thread was deleted); we were in the middle of a mahoosive amount of snow and the country - as is its want - had ground to a halt. The poster was venting off against Hartke simply due to the fact that he hadn't taken delivery of a combo (or whatever it was) which he'd ordered through a third party. The guy didn't even seem to take into account the country was crippled due to the weather.

I was (and still am) fiercely defensive of the Hartke brand and my experiences in 2009. Larry Hartke could just have told me to f-off, but he didn't. He probably dealt with me in the same way he dealt with the guy who wanted to meet him as I was walking out of the store and the guy before me. It's a very true comment that a manufacturer can be painted in a bad light because of the actions of a retailer.
P

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1393497494' post='2380939']
Are you taking the mick? It's already been mentioned a few posts up. Several times now.
[/quote]

Much as I and others enjoy reading through the whole thread, some may just either speed read or come to the party towards the end. I think a more generous response may be in order? :)

[quote name='HartkeUK' timestamp='1393492267' post='2380839']
Just a quick defense of[url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/10501-mrtcat/"] mrtcat[/url]. I think we have to be clear that some retailers, brands etc do not want to get onto forums for numerous reasons, some reasonable, some unreasonable. Often dialogue takes place behind the scenes and it is up to the individual posting to decide, based on the dealers (sometime overdue) response whether 'naming and shaming' is a reasonable response or whether a one off cock up on behalf of an otherwise responsible dealer is a reason to shame them.
[/quote]

That's fair comment, but when the OP entitles the thread "really hacked off now" and goes on to explain how the retailer had been less than honest about when the amp had been sent away for repair then what's the point of posting at all if they really believe it's a one-off cock up? If they do decide to post and ask for advice then it's a bit much to get all upset about some of the advice they are offered.

I reckon we're all grown up enough to accept that things sometimes go wrong but the issue here is how the people involved deal with it. I've had some absolutely fantastic customer service when things I've bought have gone wrong and the retailers concerned have almost taken it as a personal embarrassment and moved heaven and earth to sort it out and leave me happy. THAT'S what customer service is all about, not making you feel as if you're an inconvenience and they'll get around to looking at it when they can find the time.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1393503153' post='2381051']
Much as I and others enjoy reading through the whole thread, some may just either speed read or come to the party towards the end. I think a more generous response may be in order? :)
[/quote]

I respectfully disagree with your assessment. The question irritated me and I commented as such. It's not the same as physically walking into a conversation part way through, we have the benefit of review. Coupled with the fact that the OP probably feels that they got the retailer's name browbeaten out of them, asking the question again would seem to be irritating at best, inflammatory at worst.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1393504117' post='2381066']
I respectfully disagree with your assessment. The question irritated me and I commented as such. It's not the same as physically walking into a conversation part way through, we have the benefit of review. Coupled with the fact that the OP probably feels that they got the retailer's name browbeaten out of them, asking the question again would seem to be irritating at best, inflammatory at worst.
[/quote]

Jees. I didn't see it before. I must have skimmed through it. I can't understand why this would irritate you...bizarre.