Why become a member? ×

Rob Allen MB-2 Withdrawn from Sale
£1750

Legion

All round amazing bass. Best fretless I've ever played to be honest. The body is a single piece of mahogany with a stunning koa top. The neck is quartersawn, flamed birdseye maple. The fingerboard and bridge are made of lovely striped tiger ebony. Weight is a ridiculous 5lbs13oz.

These seem to be pretty rare over here, and if you want one new you will have to get in line at Bassdirect, wait a few months, and then pay about £3500 for one in this spec (Koa, matching headstock + fitted case)

Looking for £1800 shipped (no trades sorry). I'll be very sad to see this go :(

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycN9x_5MqHQ[/media]

Edited by Legion

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1391341847' post='2355905']
If it's anything like the video, it sounds superb.
[/quote]
It does exactly that sound - I need to put this bass under the bed and not take it out again. I'm already feeling twitchy

[quote name='WishIcouldplay' timestamp='1391347804' post='2356022']
Why are you selling it?
[/quote]
I've recently bought a short scale Lakland Decade which is something I have wanted for a very long time. This needs to go to finance that unfortunately.

Edited by Legion

[quote name='lapolpora' timestamp='1391366163' post='2356297']
I bought one of these recently. (That video sold it to me!). It's an amazing instrument. A keeper. I just want to play it forever.

Whoever buys this won't be disappointed.
[/quote]
Thanks - you are not wrong there, such a playable bass it's made me want a solid 4 as well!. Post edited to reflect no trades (which I forgot to mention)

[quote name='Legion' timestamp='1391342706' post='2355917']

It does exactly that sound - I need to put this bass under the bed and not take it out again. I'm already feeling twitchy
[/quote]

Wow. This doesn't help my fretless GAS!

• 6 months later...

Having sold this, then embarrassingly needed to buy it back fast...I'm now in the position where it could be sold to fund a proper DB upgrade. It was always my intention to be back on DB properly and this has been such a good compromise in that area that I've nearly lost my way and not bothered with the DB at all! I kept finding myself thinking "if they could have made a bass like this Rob Allen 200 years ago, would they have bothered with the double bass?"

So I'm putting it out there again to see if there is any interest. Scary thought as I love this little thing

J

Edited by Legion

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1407780063' post='2523969']
As if this is back to haunt me! I can't play fretless, I can't play fretless......
[/quote]
Would it help to mention that its one of the easiest fretless basses I've ever played? Practically plays itself it does Guv'

[quote name='Legion' timestamp='1391341331' post='2355897']
All round amazing bass. Best fretless I've ever played to be honest. The body is a single piece of mahogany with a stunning koa top. The neck is quartersawn, flamed birdseye maple. The fingerboard and bridge are made of lovely striped tiger ebony. Weight is a ridiculous 5lbs13oz.

These seem to be pretty rare over here, and if you want one new you will have to get in line at Bassdirect, wait a few months, and then pay about £3500 for one in this spec (Koa, matching headstock + fitted case)

Looking for £1800 shipped (no trades sorry). I'll be very sad to see this go :(

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycN9x_5MqHQ[/media]
[/quote]

Looks just like the sort of bass guitar Ovation would like to make :D

Seriously though, stunning sounding instrument