Why become a member? ×

Ludicrous!

coasterbass

We're booked for a marquee wedding at an 'established' venue in the midlands next month.
We've just been sent the following as a warning:

"1 - they have very miserable neighbours who 'won't like rock', apparently they particularly dislike the bass....

2. the have environmental health fitting a sound limiter this week which has to be set at 54db on the boundary of their property. This does mean it can be louder inside the marquee, but who knows how much.

3. we have to cross a river to get to the marquee - this can be achieved by footbridge or by driving through a ford"

How exactly are we supposed to gig with that ?

:huh: :)

[quote name='coasterbass' post='232628' date='Jul 4 2008, 12:48 PM']2. the have environmental health fitting a sound limiter this week which has to be set at 54db on the boundary of their property. This does mean it can be louder inside the marquee, but who knows how much.[/quote]

TV (set at home level) at 1 m: approx. 60 dB
Normal talking at 1 m: 40 – 60 dB

Attenuation of canvas at bass frequencies: f***all dB

Look on the bright side - you won't need to hump a big bass amp!

I bet they are old people. It's always old people. Not that I have got anything against old people. I just find it strange that when it comes to conversation, they are as deaf as a post, yet when it comes to music, everything seems clear as a whistle...

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='232639' date='Jul 4 2008, 12:56 PM']I bet they are old people. It's always old people. Not that I have got anything against old people. I just find it strange that when it comes to conversation, they are as deaf as a post, yet when it comes to music, everything seems clear as a whistle...[/quote]
:)

1. Their taste in music and dislike of a certain range of frequencies is very interesting but isn't a concern of yours.
2. Very worrying, 54db is pretty quiet. It's going to be difficult to prove that the limiter was triggered by you and not a passing vole breaking wind...
3. Check just how deep the ford is - if it's only a couple of inches deep then no problems.

Edited by Adrenochrome

[quote name='backwater' post='232629' date='Jul 4 2008, 12:51 PM']Well considering this :

60 dB = conversation, dishwasher

50 dB = moderate rainfall

I think the meter at 54db will be tripped by someone laughing within earshot of it!

Seems a little over-restrictive.

Andy :)[/quote]

I did a gig where there was a limiter recently - we knew it wouldn't go well when someone banged his hand on the bar and it turned the power off!

Makes you wonder why they bother booking a band.

If it's been raining heavily beforehand (or looks like it might rain heavily during the gig) I'd be wary of the ford !

And, seriously, I would investigate the sensitivity of the limiter before setting anything up. If it's as sensitive as some suggest the power could go off at the first note !

[quote name='crez5150' post='232640' date='Jul 4 2008, 12:58 PM']....Can the gig.....[/quote]
Do you really need the cash?
Tell them that unless the restrictions can be changed there is no point in them wasting their money and in you doing the gig.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='232657' date='Jul 4 2008, 01:13 PM']....You'll need the SPL meter to be at least 400' from the band to have a chance of not tripping it....[/quote]
If you relly want to do this gig make sure that you run a lead from the house, in order to bypass the meter.

Go along with it or cancel.

Work with the venue and the bride and groom give them options, chances are the venue is a P+++ of about the complaining neighbors also.
If you go ahead with it e very disciplined and professional.

Take along minimal gear maybe use practice amps if you have them. Take a small vocal PA or turn the monitors to audience, only put vocals through them.
If your drummer can’t play quiet use towels to mute the kit.
Keep backline to a minimum.
A crowed will mute some of the volume.

Playing very quit will not show the band at its best, causing a load of trouble or having the police come will show you at your worst.

Not many bands can or will play with the restrictions, I bet they have had trouble with bands in the past so the management are bound to a bit couscous and funny.
Crack this one it could lead to more work from the hotel

Make sure that your agreement covers what happens if audience applause trips the sound meter. You don't want to be the ones facing an angry wedding party and the prospect of no money and a long trip home.

Wulf

Easy - 1, Invite the neighbours and load up their Pims No 1's with large amounts of Absinthe and their mushroom canapes with something a little more 'magic' :)

2. Banjo the sound meter and make it trigger at 154dB or 540dB depending on how loud you want to play :huh:

Hamster

Thanks for all the responses!

I've enquired further and we have approx 150m for the sound to dissipate before it gets measured. This is quite good news.
The venue backs on to the A1. This is bad news.

We have no backline, and everything goes through the (sizeable) PA. This means its time for the PA engineer to prove his mettle, but I'm not sure how you make a drummer quiet?! Maybe give him some tricky algebra to mull over... :)

There's two bands playing there before us over the coming weeks so I guess there's a fair chance the venue will be closed down by August... Apparently this is already a court case and not just an idle call to the council.

If it's the A1(M) then you can expect 75-80dB 10m from the road at rush hour. Due to motorways being similar to a line source the sound drops by less than 6dB per doubling of distance so the road alone could trip that meter.

If the meter is A weighted then at least it will be less sensitive to bass at least. Doesn't bode well for the rest of the band though...

Alex

[quote name='coasterbass' post='232683' date='Jul 4 2008, 01:38 PM']We have no backline, and everything goes through the (sizeable) PA. This means its time for the PA engineer to prove his mettle, but I'm not sure how you make a drummer quiet?! Maybe give him some tricky algebra to mull over... :)[/quote]

Put the drummer behind a plexiglass screen, then all you hear is what comes through the PA.

[quote name='spinynorman' post='232701' date='Jul 4 2008, 02:18 PM']Put the drummer behind a plexiglass screen, then all you hear is what comes through the PA.[/quote]

Better to put the neighbours and their soundmeter behind a plexiglass screen.

IIRC most SPL meters don't read under 31.5Hz, so just keep it all below that and you'll be fine :)

I suppose you could go in for the 5Hz - 9Hz range and try and hit a few 'brown' notes - that way the neighbours will be too busy in the lavatorium to give a sh*t about sound levels :huh:

Hamster