Why become a member? ×

Fretless dalliance has ruined everything

MarkW

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1390750054' post='2348941']
one pickup, volume-tone, that's all
[/quote]I love that kind of simplicity in a bass. When the pickup is placed and voiced 'just so' you can do so much just with hand placement. I only own one bass with two pickups and I tend to just set the blend and leave it, all the others have just one pickup: Precision, Stingray, Ibby Gary Willis.

Great clip BTW, very jealous of your Wal; I always wanted one after playing one once back in the 80s.

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1390727711' post='2348568']
Weird.. I have been playing fretless for a rather long period (around 25 years) and I only want roundwounds on them...I've tried flatwounds but they miss the "bite" you need to bring the string to life. it's not because it's fretless that it should sound boomy or completely dead. I don't want my basses to sound like an upright or an acoustic bass so I prefer roundwounds.. Without any problem I can go back to my fretted basses although if I had to choose I would pick a fretless as my ultimate bass instead of a fretted one...

Just recorded a clip with roundwounds on my fretless.. I don't feel limited by them at all.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6FRf3XlL8k[/media]
[/quote]

That was good;)

Guest FretNoMore

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1390760760' post='2349174']
Me too. Love 'em, though perhaps whoever I play with may not be so keen. It's a "me" thing.
[/quote]

Yes ... when I bring my fretless to rehearsals I start by apologizing to my bandmates for what is to come. :P

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1390759201' post='2349146']
Don't want to hijack the topic but the same bass with flatwounds.... (and thanks to Mick Karn who lives on forever through his influences)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWUGf3GFKFs
[/quote]Still sounds very 'mwah' just a little less attack at the start of the note to my ears, pickup position and, for want of a better word, Wal-ness contributing to the tone nicely. Next time time you do a video with the Wal can you keep the whole bass out of shot? The GAS is killing me :D

A lot of love for the flatwounds, I am not sure about them especially in a live situation, I have them on my Westone Thunder III fretless and on my fretted Tokai Jazz but I feel like I am going to give myself a nasty burn as soon as I slide on the strings....I use Fender flats, I don't know if they are worse than others but I definitely lack a little confidence playing a bass with flats on

Does anybody have an opinion on the Warwick Corvette Standard fretless before I contemplate the long journey south to check one out? It's the six string on the Bass Gallery website if you fancy a gander. It ticks a number of boxes for me: I've fancied owning a Warwick since about 1988, I have been contemplating a six string for a little while, and it's within my budget - just!

[quote name='MarkW' timestamp='1390689827' post='2348418']
So, having never owned (or even played) a fretless in my life, I bought one a few weeks ago out of curiosity. It's nothing fancy, just a basic Cort 4-string, but it has been nothing less than a revelation. I have played it exclusively for the last couple of months, and it's the most intuitive bass-playing experience I've ever had. The notes just seem to fall under my fingers, and the feel of flats is gorgeous!
[/quote]
This post should read "fretless dalliance has made everything better".

You have woken up...welcome to the future my friend!

[quote name='MarkW' timestamp='1390814659' post='2349695']
Does anybody have an opinion on the Warwick Corvette Standard fretless before I contemplate the long journey south to check one out? It's the six string on the Bass Gallery website if you fancy a gander. It ticks a number of boxes for me: I've fancied owning a Warwick since about 1988, I have been contemplating a six string for a little while, and it's within my budget - just!
[/quote]

I borrowed this Warwick fretless Fortress One for a couple of days and quite liked it (although I had some troubles because I prefer dots between the lines instead of on top of them). Not sure if you can find them in six-string but this particular bass is on the second hand market for around 400-500 euros which is excellent value for money. ( It's not that I'm so fond of recording myself but I do it when there's not a lot to be found on YT and it might help others get an opinion)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_JWzAnajkY

It's good to experiment with strings, to discover [i]your [/i]sound.

I'm hopefully picking up a fretless 6 string this coming Friday. I've got a set of Fodera round wound strings and I have a set of 'nearly new' D'Addario half wounds that were fitted to my TRB6 that I'm gonna try on it. I'd like a set of flats, but I'll see how the others sound first, 6 string sets are a bit expensive :( .

Two of my favourite fretless players both have different preferences regarding strings, Michael Manring uses light gauge round wounds, and Steve Lawson uses flat wounds.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1390761688' post='2349189']
Still sounds very 'mwah' just a little less attack at the start of the note to my ears, pickup position and, for want of a better word, Wal-ness contributing to the tone nicely. Next time time you do a video with the Wal can you keep the whole bass out of shot? The GAS is killing me :D
[/quote]

Nice sound man, beautiful bass !

I think Wal's epitomise the fretless sound so well.

Who lacquered the fretboard ? Looks very cool !

A local builder made it fretless and put some epoxy on it... bought it on ebay.uk for 1300 £ (he didn't want to ship to Belgium but I could convince him) and really pleased with it.

[url="http://s162.photobucket.com/user/wombatboter/media/WALPROFRETLESS001.jpg.html"][/url]

It used to be like this... I do think the epoxy makes a difference (I had fretless Wal basses before but the epoxy changes the sound in a good way for me)

[url="http://s162.photobucket.com/user/wombatboter/media/walpro021-1.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by wombatboter

I recently bought a very nice fretless bass myself, having not owned one for a very long time. Firstly, I have been surprised by how easily I have picked up my fretless skills again( i.e I was crap back then and am already sounding that way again now with a minimum of practise :lol: ) , but also I have been struck what great fun it is to play some really pretentious fretless bass again in the privacy of my own home !

I personally don't care too much for the sound of flats on a fretless, but my point of reference are the great fretless players of the '70's and '80's who all favoured roundwounds and they have always been the tones I am seeking to emulate.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1390839033' post='2350119']
A local builder made it fretless and put some epoxy on it... bought it on ebay.uk for 1400 euros and really pleased with it.

[url="http://s162.photobucket.com/user/wombatboter/media/WALPROFRETLESS001.jpg.html"][/url]

It used to be like this... I do think the epoxy makes a difference (I had fretless Wal basses before but the epoxy changes the sound in a good way for me)

[url="http://s162.photobucket.com/user/wombatboter/media/walpro021-1.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

That's probably the nicest Wal I've seen.

I like the fancy wood ones, but that has a beautiful simplicity about it.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1390736720' post='2348739']
If you use coated roundwounds like elixirs then you kind of get the best of both worlds - smooth feeling and bright sounding, infact coated strings seem to last longer on fretless presumably because there are no frets breakup the coating.
[/quote]

This.

Mind you, I hope the OP knows he's on the slippery slope to upright.

Oh yes you are. :D

I've had a few dalliances with fretless in the last year or so. It's great fun. I love the liquidity and flow it brings to music. However it's not suitable for all sounds or more specifically all songs. For me I simply can't resist sliding into or out of notes and everything ends up sounding the same. Im weak. "JesuCristo me ayude".

I moved on to fretless early on and played it exclusively for about 8 years then the fretless lived under the bed for a couple of years before I decided to sell it.
I've never really gone back to it as my playing style and influences changed.
Love the feel of flats on my fretted jazz though.