Why become a member? ×

Are Mexican basses really underrated ?

Notoriousm

I've been looking all over the internet as well as the tube for reviews of Mexican built Fender P's and J's and I'm surprised that whoever does the review is quite happy with the bass they have. Being told and some might say brought up on the fact that American is top standard MIJ middle and Mexican Low. I don't know if anyone else has the same mentality as me or has been proved wrong with this theory and actually rate some Mexican basses over the American ones.

So heres the question,

Are Mexican basses really underrated and not considered 'worthy' in the professional world of music and does it 'knock down' your musicianship if someone finds out it's a Mex ?

Have you been proved wrong with this theory and have found a Mex bass better than say an American standard or Japanese bass ?

Or is it just luck and not knowing which end of the spectrum your bass will be from ?

Don't get me wrong I'm not putting them down as I've always used an American bass but recently looking at their price brackets if you can get a beautiful instrument for half the price of an American then why not ?

Ive played both and they are both great in my experiences. Ive settled for Mexican standard being good enough for me so think why save up double the amount if i am happy with the standard of the mex's! Personal preference i suppose! I go on if i play it and am i happy how it feels and sounds that it doesn't matter where or who built it! lol

Edited by Lewmorg

Strictly from personal experience ... I've played only two Mexican basses, both jazzes, both pigs of things. I would never think about buying one of these without playing it and looking it over first. That goes for any Fender though.

As said above, quality of Fender Basses can vary hugely, I've played my '73 Jazz (which is lovely) and also played a friends '73 (which has a couple of dead spots on neck and is a pig to play), so IME the thing to do is to definitely try before parting with cash. Interestingly, my '73 weighs in a tad under 8lbs and my mates tips the scales in excess of 8.5lbs?

The Mexican Roadworn Jazz is sublime to play - I know there's lots of folk who don't like the whole Roadworn thing, but there's also a lot of love for them around these here parts. New they're a bit pricey but buy one used and you've got a whole lot of bass for very little money.

I own a Roadworn Jazz and also own two CIJ Jazzes (Geddy & '62RI), a Custom Shop Jazz, a '92 Jazz Plus V, a '95 Standard USA Jazz, a '74 Vintage Reissue Jazz, a '73 Jazz & a '68 Precision.

[quote name='Notoriousm' timestamp='1390509996' post='2346306']
What I've always heard when talking to other bass players is ' ah he plays a mex'. You know that almost looking down on you thing ...
[/quote]

Lord knows what they think of me then as I've also got two Squiers that I occasionally gig :P

I have a Mex P bass and I love it :) it is not the most expensive bass I have ever owned but the quality is great the sound is great (I am changing the pup though for something with more oomph but the stock pup is great just personal choice) it really is my go too bass I play it everyday I have never been a Fender fanboy but this bass ticks all my boxes :)

My first Fender was a Mexi Jazz, one from that year of production where the grub screws on the bridge saddles were made of pig iron and used to shear off. Hence it wore a BadAss bridge shortly after.

Pickups a tad weedy but then I don't really like Jazz basses anyway but the Fit and Finish was good. Lovely Midnight Wine finish it was.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1390510665' post='2346315']
I have an MIM strat which is now my favourite guitar out of however many I've owned over the years. I played it in the shop and it was love at first strum.

Try all the ones you can and get a good one!
[/quote]

The guitarist in our band has a lot of guitars, but only ever gigs his MiM Strat.

[quote name='Freddy Le Cragg' timestamp='1390509707' post='2346301']
I got a 2006 MIM Jazz in sunburst. Plays amazing, sounds amazing and says Fender. Does the job.
[/quote]

I have a 1992 mex jazz and it's fine - I know there are some dogs. I have never played a bad US but I have seen the mex output really up its game in the last few years. I wouldn't be ashamed to be seen with one.

The quality is variable, just like it is for everything... apart from Yamaha. ;)

[quote name='Thor' timestamp='1390510199' post='2346311']
Lord knows what they think of me then as I've also got two Squiers that I occasionally gig :P
[/quote]

Squiers are definitely above MIMs in the food chain, imho. :)

[quote name='Notoriousm' timestamp='1390505059' post='2346217']
I've been looking all over the internet as well as the tube for reviews of Mexican built Fender P's and J's and I'm surprised that whoever does the review is quite happy with the bass they have. Being told and some might say brought up on the fact that American is top standard MIJ middle and Mexican Low. I don't know if anyone else has the same mentality as me or has been proved wrong with this theory and actually rate some Mexican basses over the American ones.

So heres the question,

Are Mexican basses really underrated and not considered 'worthy' in the professional world of music and does it 'knock down' your musicianship if someone finds out it's a Mex ?

Have you been proved wrong with this theory and have found a Mex bass better than say an American standard or Japanese bass ?

Or is it just luck and not knowing which end of the spectrum your bass will be from ?

Don't get me wrong I'm not putting them down as I've always used an American bass but recently looking at their price brackets if you can get a beautiful instrument for half the price of an American then why not ?
[/quote]

What I have found is that some of the Mexi jazzes are amazing, but some of them some are dogs dinners. Try all you can, you will find one and you will go wow that sounds great. Change the pickups they are not authentic, the low end is pretty shallow, change to some proper take like bare knuckle, cremery, wizards etc and job done they are the working mans jazz, With the characteristic sound. I am not a fan of the modern american jazz they dont really have that sound, they are great basses don't get me wrong, and sound great, but they have a different tone. I have two early sixties jazzes the closest to them are the Fugigen era jap jazzes. Put it this way necks scratchplate, seem to be interchangable. Not so with American or mexi jazzers. fit is not so close

I`ve had a good few MIMs, MIJs and US build Fenders. I`ve not had a bad one out of any of them, but one particular MIM stands out, the 2012 I had last year. It was miles better than any of the other MIMs I`ve had. In general my preferences are , in order US, MIJ, MIM. There`s just something about the US - especially the 2008 - 11 Series - that just works for me.