Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To Sell, or Not To Sell...

maldy

I'm very lucky (or rather saved for a long time) to own five basses. I really don't need five basses, although I definitely do enjoy and like have multiple basses. Recently, I've kind of been thinking that I want to, or ought to, down size and one should go. I have two basses by the same company. One was my work horse bass and was my main gigging bass. I guess it has a lot of sentimental value. However it is also a great bass and worth keeping on its own merit. The other bass by the same company is a limited edition. It looks superb and feels superb. However, it has a sound that is not too dissimilar from the fore mentioned bass. It has a lot more eq and adjustments, but fundamentally it is similar. When I think about it I think this is the bass that should go. All the other basses would then be significantly different and worth keeping. However, when I get this bass out it just looks, feels and sounds so good, I wonder if selling is the right think to do. Naturally I wouldn't get what's it is worth new and to buy a bass of that standard again would cost more than I could get for it.

Does anyone out there have selling dilemmas? Any thoughts about downsizing and not downsizing? Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong and getting too attached. I would be interested to hear anyone's views.

Why are you thinking about selling (if it's not too personal)? If you need to raise funds or free up space then selling one is probably a good idea but if there are no external pressures I probably wouldn't bother.

Not sure which one I would sell. I imagine you'd get more money for the ltd ed & if you don't have any sentimental feelings about it that would make sense. But then a lot of people would suggest clearing out the cheapest bass & keeping the cream of the crop...

IMO it depends on what you're doing. If you need a bass to record with, then it sounds as if the limited-ed should be your recording bass. If it's too precious/expensive ever to gig with, and you're not doing anything else with it, then I wonder if it's only going to make you unhappy with your other basses?

[quote name='maldy' timestamp='1390171253' post='2342336']
Does anyone out there have selling dilemmas? Any thoughts about downsizing and not downsizing?
[/quote]

Yup on the selling dilemmas, and I've had similar thoughts as you yourself.
Finally found out that I'm definitely keeping the stuff that will be hardest to replace later, as in the limited editions and the most expensive ones. Not that I don't see that another bass can be just as rewarding, but just because I know myself to have a tendency to never forget that unique thing - a weakness that I plan on not shoving aside.
Your mileage may vary.

As to downsizing, I'd like to only do it for specific reasons. A vague notion of "probably best", or "maybe I should" or "I do have many basses, don't I?" seems like a weak basis to me, whilst "the money can be used better" seems more to the point to me personally.

Different strokes for different folks. I don't really get sentimental over gear. I loved my big old Fender TV15, but after less than a year of ownership realised that it was far too big and cumbersome to shift up 3 flights of stairs after every gig, so sold it to finance a lighter weight amp. I still do pine after it but realise it was the sensible thing to do.

Over the last 5 years 9 basses and 4 amps have come and gone and I don't regret selling any of them. They were all sold to purchase other gear I needed at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Kvu6Kgp88

I'd keep 'em all unless there was something else (bass or non-bass related) for the money i valued more. i'm definitely too attached to mine to sell without a good reason, maybe i shouldn't have named them..

if you had to thin the herd i'd lose whichever you find you find yourself reaching for the least when it's playing just for pleasure

[quote name='maldy' timestamp='1390171253' post='2342336']

Does anyone out there have selling dilemmas? Any thoughts about downsizing and not downsizing? Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong and getting too attached. I would be interested to hear anyone's views.
[/quote]

Yes, all the time.
I'm new to bass and, like the OP, I'm lucky enough to have 4 basses. I have:
Squier P-Bass , Warwick SS1 4 string, LTD ESP Fretless 5, Wishbass fretless 4.

I see it as a way of having a variety of sounds, tones, feel etc. but I've only been playing 3 years. I sometimes wonder if my learning is slowed down by using more than one size/feel bass. Am I causing myself confusion by having 4 and 5 strings?

I don't play in a band, I don't have the spare time to rehearse or gig in a band (due to commitments to work and ageing parents). So even wonder why I'm even learning if, as some BCers tell us; bass isn't a solo instrument. All I know is I love the tone of the bass and most of the time I do enjoy it, but do I need so many basses? Would I be better with fewer?

I`d say if the money or space is not needed then keep, if either are, then sell. I`ve recently come to this decision myself, my main US Precision gigging bass is going up for sale as I need to sort out finances, the other basses I have (MIJ Fender Precision & MIK Squier Precision) are perfectly fine for my needs. I`ll be sorry to see the US go, but I`ll still have 2 nice basses, and have sorted a couple of things that need addressing.

I think more people should suffer from [b]TAS[/b], Technique Acquisition Syndrome.

Next time you see some gear you want but don't need spend half on lessons and save the other half.

You’ll end up a better and richer bass player.

Edited by chris_b

No dilemmas, no mercy, no sentimentality. Almost ;) There are probably two basses which I would only sell if it meant the roof over our heads, one was a loving restoration of a poor basket case, and one my wife bought me. But I sold my first bass and I've just sold the bass I've done the most gigs with. It's just stuff. Some stay for a while, some are in and out within months. I love the variety of trying new basses and I like having a collection to choose from. I generally use a different bass for every rehearsal and every gig. I don't really get bothered about specific tones apart from I'm much more humbucker than single coil. The only reason I'd downsize is financial. I naturally hover around the 10 mark because my bass cupboard holds 10, but If space was an issue at home I'd stash some at work.

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1390215906' post='2342590']
I think more people should suffer from [b]TAS[/b], Technique Acquisition Syndrome.

Next time you see some gear you want but don't need spend half on lessons and save the other half.

You’ll end up a better and richer bass player.
[/quote]
Very true. I'm sure all my basses were bought due to some misguided belief that they would make me a better player.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1390218494' post='2342623']
....I'm sure all my basses were bought due to some misguided belief that they would make me a better player....
[/quote]

+1

All my basses were bought in order to make me [i]sound[/i] better. I think they did that pretty well, but the [i]playing[/i] is down to me!!

Thank you all for your thoughts and opinions - all of them are very much appreciated. :) It is good to know I'm not alone, but it is also interesting and thought provoking that some of you have a more practical outlook. I seem to vary between the two. The point I have taken away is that do I need the money and do I need the space? I don't desperately need either at this moment in time, so maybe I don't need to make a decision right now. I think if another bass really caught my interests then I would have to sell one.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1390221570' post='2342693']
I'd really like to agree, but the fact is I'm still missing my 76P which I had from new. *Sob* :wacko:
[/quote]

Toying with the idea of the Grabber at the moment. I know I would miss it! But I really need the space! The Antigua doesn't appear to be shifting at the moment either. Maybe I have to rethink prices.