Why become a member? ×

GK cabs sold! lightweight help please :-)

Ant_On_Bass

Hi all,

My current amp is a GK 2001RB with a GK 410RB and GK115RBH (Now gone) i absolutely love the head but the cabs are back breakers and an awkward shape to carry so i'm looking into getting a more compact cab and preferably just the one cab as well, i know nothing about compact cabs so i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what would be good to use with my current head? :gas:

Edited by Ant_On_Bass

I've never used a GK head through it (was hoping to get use of a 1001rb over xmas but didn't happen) but if you ever venture up to Bristol from Devon you're welcome to try out my Barefaced Big Twin 2. It sounds massive, the build quality seems fine to me (I've only had this BF cab so I can't comment on issues others have had with previous gen cabs), can handle huge amounts of power but can be carried with one hand if you want to.

I was in your position too, wanting lighter cabs. I had reservations about it being enough, my last few cab set-ups have been Trace 1x15+4x10, Ashdown 8x10, Warwick WCA 115+ either 411 or 211. This thing handles everything I throw at it with ease, no need for back breaking cabs for me anymore! I've also heard great things about the Bergantino CN212, I'm sure there's a few users of those on here who can give you the lowdown on those.

I`ve not had GK cabs, only their amps, and they have a very distinctive sound - not sure if the cabs are also voiced specifically? But re this, if you like the sound of the GK, Barefaced will produce this very well as they have to be - in my experience - the least "coloured" sounding cabs I`ve used. And they are light which fits the original spec requested.

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1389801058' post='2338055']
I was in your position too, wanting lighter cabs. I had reservations about it being enough, my last few cab set-ups have been Trace 1x15+4x10, Ashdown 8x10, Warwick WCA 115+ either 411 or 211. This thing handles everything I throw at it with ease, no need for back breaking cabs for me anymore! I've also heard great things about the [b]Bergantino CN212[/b], I'm sure there's a few users of those on here who can give you the lowdown on those.
[/quote]

I bought a CN212 last weekend... It's fantastic. Best thing i've ever bought.
Only 20kgs(ish) and an incredible sound. Highly recommended.

Edited by goonerjoe

[quote name='goonerjoe' timestamp='1389887800' post='2339151']

I bought a CN212 last weekend... It's fantastic. Best thing i've ever bought.
Only 20kgs(ish) and an incredible sound. Highly recommended.
[/quote]
Berg cabs ooze class. My BIg Twin 2 is an amazing cab, but if I ever fancied a change Berg would be top of my list.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the 1001RBII and GK 410 neo cab. The cab is not too heavy - I can cart it quite easily on my own. It also has the bi-amp feature, so if you want to use that it's the only option. It's also a regular 'box' so no strange shapes to deal with. They come in 4 and 8 ohm versions

Edited by invicta59

I can also recommend Barefaced cabs. I have a Vintage T which is just amazing. A 2x15 you can lift with one hand, very responsive and sounds huge without colouring your sound.

I also have two Vanderlely MNT 12s which are also lovely but have a warmer, slightly more coloured tone, are easy to carry and occupy less floorspace on stage, and two Euphonic Audio CXL12s. EA gear is really nice although the CXLs were discontinued a while ago but you occasionally see them up for sale. They are the most Hi-Fi sounding of the three but are not especially light compared to modern Neo cabs. I've heard good things about EAs later Neo cabs but haven't any personal experience I can give you.

You could always have a trip out one day. Take your amp and bass to somewhere like Bass Direct and plug in to some different cabs to see what you like the sound of but if you're going to buy blind I'd go for something Barefaced. I'm sure you'd be blown away by one.

I've never used any GK gear. I drive these cabs with either an EA iAmp800, an Ampeg SVP 1500w rack set up or a Trace Elliot V6 all of which sound wonderful through all the cabs.

Modern cabs are amazing when compared to the Trace Elliot stack I used to lug around.

A TKS H115 would definitely be worth a look too. Nice and light, and features an adjustable tweeter. Great sound (to my ears) - very smooth and rich, almost "compressed" sounding.

Not many around on the used market, and may be expensive to get shipped from Sweden (where they are made).

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/212014-tks-engineering-cabs-new-to-the-uk/page__hl__tks"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/212014-tks-engineering-cabs-new-to-the-uk/page__hl__tks[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't met a cab yet that could handle everything my 1001 threw at it. You'll never find one that could take the 2001 at full pelt so good job you don't use the headroom. Have you tried the GK Neo 2x12 or 4x10 yet?

I haven't yet Jack, the only half decent guitar shop down where I live is mansons and they can be a bit limited with bass gear really, I'll have to take a trip there and see what cabs they currently have :-) ideally I'd like to have a barefaced but I can't really afford new and their big ones generally don't pop up too often and get snapped up quick :-P

I also love the Barefaced cabs.

Why not start with the Super Compact: [url="http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/Super-Compact.htm"]http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/Super-Compact.htm[/url]

Much cheaper than the Big Twin 2 and just 11kg. You could add another later for a versatile 2X12 rig. One of these is probably as loud as your 4X10.

TBH you're spoilt for choice these days - I'm presuming you've got certain restrictions on your budget so new GK Neo, Genz Benz Focus, or secondhand Tech Soundsystems, Tecamp, TC Electronic RS, as well as everything else mentioned so far.

Hi Ant,

Go get yourself a GK neo cab. I have a 212 and 115 running off my gk 1001rbii and it is awesome. The cabs are really light (I can just lift them one handed but only due to the size) and it sounds HUGE, and very defined. I have only just put this together (I think I may have spoken to regarding a 2001rb head actually?) and I don't think there would be anything I would swap it for. Other than getting an ampeg svt rig, which for practical reasons will probably never happen, my gk rig will probably be choice from now on.