Why become a member? ×

600 quid to spend. Recommend an amp.

BottomE

Hello folks

Time to replace my Little Mark II amp which has been brilliant over the last few years.

Criteria: reliability, ability to run at 4 and 8 ohms, lightweight. Cabs can handle about 750 watts at 4 ohms.

Mainly playing without a PA so needs to have clarity at reasonable volume.

Ideas welcome.

Thank you.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1388948810' post='2328016']
Ta folks. Prefer to buy amps new. Amps are probably the only bit of bass gear (as well as strings) that I insist on owning from new.
[/quote]

In which case get yerself to a few shops and try some different gear out, based on the suggestions above, but also try different things too - just in case.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1388950117' post='2328049']
And also get out and listen to a few bands, when you hear a tone you like investigate said bassists amp - what you hear in a band context gives a great idea of whether it`s right or wrong for you.
[/quote]
Definitely this too.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1388950117' post='2328049']
And also get out and listen to a few bands, when you hear a tone you like investigate said bassists amp - what you hear in a band context gives a great idea of whether it`s right or wrong for you.
[/quote]

this is totally the reason i went out and got a terror bass, saw a pink band and fell in love!

i cant recommend the terrors enough, would be a 500w version for you budget but that will be loud as hell! also the gk mb heads are really nice.

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1388951502' post='2328084']

this is totally the reason i went out and got a terror bass, saw a pink band and fell in love!

i cant recommend the terrors enough, would be a 500w version for you budget but that will be loud as hell! also the gk mb heads are really nice.

andy
[/quote]

They had one of those in one of the local stores. It was loud but I found it limited tonally. Need something more flexible.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1388951536' post='2328086']
Not many shops to choose from round these parts unfortunately. Any thoughts on Ampeg?
[/quote]

a band i played with bassist had a pf350 sounded......well like an ampeg he did say it wasnt the loudest but from having a svt pro 6 i know ampeg sometimes inflate there wattage rating.

honestly would consider going secondhand as you could grab a bargain
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/224382-gallien-krueger-2001rb/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/224382-gallien-krueger-2001rb/[/url]

andy

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1388951760' post='2328094']

They had one of those in one of the local stores. It was loud but I found it limited tonally. Need something more flexible.
[/quote]

For flexibility and clarity, I'd go for a Genz Shuttle 9.2. It really impressed me.
Be wary of the PF500. Search on Basschat to see how many have had issues

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1388960275' post='2328253']
So far the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 is looking favourite.
[/quote]

The Shuttle 6.0 is known for having rather a "light" bottom end, as Genz filtered off rather too much in the way of low frequencies. THe 6.2 remedies this completely.

I can thoroughly recommend the GK MB500. I have owned a shedload of amps and the MB is loud, clear, articulate and reliable. I'm near Southampton if you're anywhere nearby and want to try one out with your cab.