Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Something a bit different - pimped Schecter 004 -now with white one too !

hamfist

Go to post #16 for a white pickguard version.

I have always loved the looks of the Schecter Stargazer, but felt it was severely underwhelming to play - I'd assumed mainly down to the electronics.

Anyway, I recently picked up Schecter's pre-cursor to the STargazer, rather oddly called the "004". It's the same body shape, and neck, but with a brass nut. It also has a pair of (completely awful) Schecter soapbar pickups.

Anyway, the bass played and felt nice, so I thought it was worth upgrading.

First in was a pair of EMG 35P4's. This gave a huge improvement in tone. I really like this setup.
Next on was a vintage Westone (Matsumoku) 80's high mass cast bridge, as the original bridge was not feeling as solid as I wanted it, and the E string buzzed a little down there too.
The bridge swap went well, and tightened things up nicely. The new one is a much higher quality bit of kit.
Lastly, this morning I re-cut a Union Jack scratchplate I had hanging around. I think it all now looks rather super.
It sounds and plays like something worth 3 times the cost now also.

Anyway, here it is.

[url=http://www.ephotobay.com/share/004-full.html][/url]
[url=http://www.ephotobay.com/share/004-body-front.html][/url]
[url=http://www.ephotobay.com/share/004-full-b.html][/url]

Edited by hamfist

I dunno, it doesn't not work for me, very Def Leppardish. I love the look of these basses and the way they shout, "John Hall can suck it!" they're too big a fish for his shysters to intimidate :)

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1388584828' post='2323645']
Am I the only bassist around with a love of flamboyant pickguards ?
[/quote]

I like the pickguard and I like the bass but together... Not for me I'm afraid. Purple (the finish) and blue (in the flag on the pick guard) just don't look right together for me!

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1388585538' post='2323656']

I like the pickguard and I like the bass but together... Not for me I'm afraid. Purple (the finish) and blue (in the flag on the pick guard) just don't look right together for me!
[/quote]

There's no purple. It's a gloss black finish. What you think is purple is the reflection of a pink blanket in the finish.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1388601915' post='2323916']

There's no purple. It's a gloss black finish. What you think is purple is the reflection of a pink blanket in the finish.
[/quote]

Ah! That's what was putting me off. I imagine it looks nice on black :-) a greyscale Union Jack plate would look cool too!

Hmmmmm. Well, I've got some white/black/white 3 ply blank pickguard material arriving any day. I'll do one in white and see how it looks.
As I'd be cutting it from a full blank sheet I'd obviously be able to avoid the knob "cutout" I was forced to have on the Union Jack piece that I had. Oh, I'd also be able to have the cutout around the bridge pickup the right size. Again, using my Union Jack piece I was just adapting an old pickguard I had.
I like the general shape of the guard, as it's a bit different, being more towards the bridge than the neck. But the knob cutout and the incorrect bridge pickup cutout size are annoying me.

OK, I've done a white/black/white one. Really nicely fitting too. Any better ?

I like the fit, but I think I like the UNion Jack better. I think a properly fitting Union Jack one may be in my future.

[url=http://www.ephotobay.com/share/004-white-pg.html][/url]

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1388760065' post='2325716']
Union flag for sure. I like the idea of a black, white and grey version too.
[/quote]

Yup, I agree. A B&W union flag would look great, but to my knowledge a blank with it on is not available. I can get the coloured one from WD music though.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1388752691' post='2325556']
OK, I've done a white/black/white one. Really nicely fitting too. Any better ?

I like the fit, but I think I like the UNion Jack better. I think a properly fitting Union Jack one may be in my future.

[url="http://www.ephotobay.com/share/004-white-pg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Nah, too bland. We're a picky lot aren't we. Union Jack for sure.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1388760904' post='2325733']
How about a pickguard in something like a cream/pale yellow to match the binding and the maple fingerboard?
[/quote]

That would make it a bit Flea Bassish, IMHO.