Why become a member? ×

best bass for the seated player

Dom in Dorset

At the moment I'm playing in an orchestra pit and so have to play sitting down. I practiced for the show on my jazz but I'm noticing that it's quite uncomfortable to play on my knee for any length of time.
So seated players how do you cope?
I could shorten my strap to take the weight off my knee, but my strap is tricky to adjust and has stuck on strap locks.
I could switch to precision , but the neck width could throw me , my hands are used to the jazz and I have enough to worry about sight reading, waiting for cues, counting bars on intros etc. Also the mix is just right in the band , I only have a few shows to do so I'll carry on with my current set up.
Seated players - what's your preferred instrument/ set up?

Jazz bass on a short strap for me. Sometimes precision depending on the sound needed (used it for hairspray as it was perfect!). Talk stalls (usually used by upright players) are good as you can sit in a half-standing position and it removes a number of issues. The bass sits well, you can see past people and you don't have to stand for the whole show. Worth a try?

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1388579594' post='2323542']
I'm under the stage, I'm 6'2" , only 5' head room!
[/quote]

Ah. In which case, there's not much you can do. Most pits are uncomfortable, it's all part of the challenge/fun/experience lol!

If I were only to be playing in the seated position, I would have kept the Warwick Thumb Bass that I owned. Because of its small and ergonomically crafted shape it just hugs the body and is an absolute joy to play, in terms of comfort and all else (it sounds amazing, very versatile).

It's only when standing, that the front strap position caused by the short top horn makes the 1st fret feel far away.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1388588803' post='2323706']
I was going to say Warwick thumb is exceedingly comfortable sitting down and standing
[/quote]

Thumb comfy sitting down -yes

Thumb comfy standing up-no!

There are few basses I could recommend as being very comfortable to sit with , but they are all a bit pricey and not a practical quick fix . Is your Jazz particulaly heavy? Even a medium-weight Jazz will feel cumbersome on your knee due to the larger offset body . Mine certainly does.

Edited by Dingus

Better posture and a shorter bass strap will probably help most situations, if it's back pain or PITA then it might be the chair that's a problem.

I have a bad habit of resting the weight of my right arm / shoulder on the top of the bass which transfers through the bass body to my right leg, maybe you're having a similar problem if it's your leg that hurts.

Or you could play lying on your back like Bob Babbitt ;)

My Jazz weighs a tun! Yes it's my leg that hurts, even if I'm careful not to put my arm across the bass.
I'll finish this run on Sunday , I can cope until then,maybe cobble together a shorter strap. I'll probably use the P in future, it's lighter and more comfortable shape .
Oddly enough the first act ends with 5 minutes of music on CD for a ballet, I have enough room to lye down. I even bring a sleeping bag and stretch out until the house lights come up.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1388603561' post='2323953']
the idea of a different bass for standing/sitting is nonsesne. the idea ,is to have the strap length the same. so, when you stand, you dont have to adjust the length at all. checkout how Billi Sheehan demonstratres it . probably on a you tube clip somewhere. posture is important.
[/quote]
not at all, if I have the strap in my ideal playing position when standing (as it is now) the bass touches my leg when sitting and in time hurts. Billy Sheehan's solution works fine for Billy Sheehan as it is based on his ideal playing position, I'm not Billy Sheehan.
Some basses have a more comfortable shape for playing in a siting position, I think that P basses are more comfortable if rested on the leg.

A bit random, but I find for playing seated that using a guitar foot rest under one foot helps me to achieve a better posture when playing in a pit for shows (rather than seeming to lean forward over the bass a lot)

YMMV etc of course.

Pete