Why become a member? ×

A good precision 5 ?

flychris

Lakland! Period.
No other five-string I have played comes even close. Most - not all - fivers are four string basses with an extra rubbery excuse for a B-string with a totally different tonal charachter. I have to quote a very fine piano player, Horace Parlan, when he was asked by a fellow musician about the jazz blues they were to play: "[i]Whay key...?[/i]" His answer was: "[i]Blues [b]IS[/b] in F.[/i]"
[i]P-bass [b]IS [/b]four string[/i]. But if you want a [i]five string P[/i]: go for a Lakie!

Can't quite get my head around a 5st P myself, but then I could stretch that argument to a 4 st P as well...if I had to .
With that in mind I be looking at a PJ..and Lakalnd might figure in there, as would Overwater, Sei and Sadowsky.

I think I'd be trying to track a Lull in the 1st instance.... just to set the bar...

There are some surprisingly good Fender P5's out there but you have to look hard to find them.

Lull P's are universally good, I recently picked up a 4 and it's much more versatile than most, maybe my second favourite personally owned P after an Alleva Coppolo (the KBP5 is a cracking bass but so rare in the UK).

I've played some nice US Laklands too. In fact every US Lakland I've tried has been of high quality.

Some Nordy P's are nice but maybe not as uniformly good as Lull or Lakland in the same price bracket based on ones I've tried.

I've played, and owned, some Sadowsky P's and quite liked them but, for me, the Sad brand is just so associated with a J that they haven't always felt quite 'right' somehow.

[quote name='flychris' timestamp='1388325430' post='2320743']
JTUK, if you're int he PJ mood, but for a 4, you just have to look on a sadowsky metro HPJ.
unfortunately, they don't do it in 5 strings.
[/quote]

I'm a J man anyway... and only play 5's....

4's just seem to feel so unsubstantial and missing something these last 20 years... but thanx.

I have a Fender American Standard 5 string P-Bass - Strung with Lakland Joe Osborn flatwound strings - sounds mighty fine, never had any complaints or reasons to upgrade, and the neck and string spacing feels VERY comfortable to me.

Sure, i need to play a bit lighter on the B but its still acceptable for the amount of time i spent on that string compared to the others.

I also have a Sadowsky M5-24, and this serves as my modern sounding active instrument while the P is very much my 'old school' vibe bass, and i find myself using the Fender an awful lot more!

Edited by Shobaleader One