Why become a member? ×

JV Pbass.. Scam or Clueless???

Nibody

there's a difference between the prices they are advertised for and the price they sell for. For a standard JV p bass in that condition I think £500 would be optimistic.

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1388497296' post='2322648']
They are a lot appearing, they were a £129 brand new in the box bass sold at most music shops.
They got put in cupboards and forgotton about .
They were reasonably well made on a par with the latest Squire deluxe range's.

Someone decided they were ultra rare and the price rocketed, this has lead to people digging out the cheap beginers bass from the loft or back cupbaord and they are hitting the markets by the thousands and mugs are grabbing them thinking they are really worth £1000+
They are not and as they are hitting the market place in bulk now the word is out the price will fall back.

They were the beginers Christmas bass of the day and they certainly sold in quite large numbers at the time,
As folk who long gave up playing dig them out of lofts and closets, every one that hits the market knocks the price down as people work out that they are not as "rare" as first thought.

I have had the odd one here and there, they play OK, but I would never dream of paying more than a nice USA Fender precision price for them.
Like all bubbles, it will burst.
[/quote] The first ones are ultra rare and exceedingly good instruments. It's interest in the rare ones that pushes the prices of them all up.
I'm not sure how many you've played but IMO would rate the quality of the early ones, esp the neck, up with USA standard fender today. The American vintage reissues are nicer (esp the pre 2013 ones, I like them) but the JV is closer to the original in both feel and sound.

Will the bubble burst? Well not the the Fender logoed ones, and when the roundly considered as "a bit crap" early 80's Fenders seem to go for £1500, The Fullertons for £2000+ and late 70's ones for more... £600 on a JV squier isn't that bad.
Are they all good? nah probably not- SQ range are probably better value for money, or E series.... the japanese necks are brilliant though.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1388627931' post='2324265']
I think if the seller had let the auction run its course the bass would have found its level in the market. I'm sure that plenty of people apart from Basschatters knew what they were looking at and the seller would have got a reasonable amount for it.

I don't think anyone would have snagged it on the cheap.
[/quote]
I tend to agree. I was looking at a bass some months ago on ebay and was planning to bid on it. The seller obviously had some 'advice' via ebay and ended the bidding then relisted it at a very high starting price. It's still on there many months later. I reckon that if they had let the auction run it would have sold for a decent price.

I used to sell loads of vinyl records on eBay and often had the 'ebay experts' telling me something was wrong with the listing (99.9% of the time it wasn't by the way) and i even had a few telling me that i'd listed something too cheap. I always used to reply 'buy it then and get a bargain' but of course they never did. Some people like to think they are experts. Often they aren't.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1388669795' post='2324553']

Is 500 to 700 a sensible expectation for that JV? I personally wouldn't expect that, but I'm not an expert, but now she may be expecting that.

[/quote]

Cleaned up, electrics sorted, set up and properly advertised, yes. If one in this condition snuck under the radar & ended up in my sweaty palms that's precisely what I'd be hoping to do, and I suspect most of the bidders & interested parties on the one in question had the same ambition!

I'm not ashamed to admit I've had some ridiculous bargains from uninformed sellers (including SQ and E serial Squier Precisions), which I've made outrageous profits on.

J.

I'm a bit gutted it's been taken down really, I was the high bidder at time of cancellation and was looking forward to spending perhaps £300 tops on a nice battered old Squier(I learnt to play on a battered old Squier) and then lovingly restoring it over the course of a couple of months before eventually selling it and just about breaking even on the replacement parts I'd have had to buy for it.

Now instead there's a good chance a music shop will do the restoring and the seller will have to take their chances, but I'll be surprised if it goes for over £500 with the original body/neck in that state. It'd be a great labour of love but I can't see it turning a massive profit for whoever decides to fix her up.

I hope to god MDP doesn't get his hands on it...

Not sure what you'd need to replace on that, tbh apart from the missing ferrule - or why you'd want to. All the hardware would clean up no problem and chances are the apparent lack of output will be wiring. Certainly with older instruments like this that are becoming more & more collectable, originality is paramount if you're interested in resale.

It's quite beat-up so will look used, but that doesn't detract from value particularly, and T-Cut will bring back a lot of gloss to the body & neck. I'm pretty confident that unless it needed something time-consuming like a major fret dress, a bass like this would need no more than a weekend's work to get it into good order.

J.

It was at £200 with a day left.
I would say letting it run would have been a very good day for them.

Things that look wounded often sell far higher than good ones as everyone bails in thinking they can make a few quid and gets caught in auction fever.
For all we know it could have a snapped rod or anything, they were pig rods loaded from the body end.
It was well up anad away in the auction stakes and unless you were prepared to put your own hand in your own pocket and put your money where your mouth is, then why bother.

I hope they contact you saying you can have it for £500 and it's a right pig of a mess.

What you going to say then.

Tar and feathers for you mate !

Thought it was a good point. last one in good nick made [b]£400[/b], what do you think a shop will offer them ?
Nowhere near, then they are going to be thinking, h,mmm that guy said it was worth £500.

I just hope he has his £500 ready and waiting.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1388696883' post='2325088']
...l feel like I've wandered along to the waterhole and scared away that wounded wildebeest you'd all planned to have for your tea.
[/quote]

It's like a jungle that eBay, it really is. :rolleyes:
And only about ten percent of a predator's hunting attempts are successful at best, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Oh dear, l feel like I've wandered along to the waterhole and scared away that wounded wildebeest you'd all planned to have for your tea. :rolleyes:
[/quote]
Not me - just watching with interest, really. I think everyone hopes that a silly bargain will come along & present the opportunity of either cashing in or blagging a desireable bass for not much money. This could have been such a bass but, if I know Ebay, probably would have got quite silly in the last hour or so - which is always fun to watch. Might well be the seller's loss, unless they know what they're doing.

J.

Oh dear, l feel like I've wandered along to the waterhole and scared away that wounded wildebeest you'd all planned to have for your tea. :rolleyes:
[/quote]
No no no...... Don't be like that. I think it's fairer to say you ran to the watering hole screaming run for your life.......... :D

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1388708998' post='2325284']
No no no...... Don't be like that. I think it's fairer to say you ran to the watering hole screaming run for your life.......... :D
[/quote]

I would never do such a thing...... ;)

This is similar to what happened with a beaten up JV that was on Gumtree about 6 months ago. Seller had put it up for £350 I think, sale gets agreed to someone on here, then someone else calls and tells the seller its worth 'twice that' and offers more, so the original deal gets pulled. But the 'new buyer' doesn't come up with the goods so it gets listed back on Gumtree at £750 which is now much more than its worth and it doesn't sell.

I just fail to see why you would try to stop somone, that could have been a member on here enjoying a JV bass other than jealousy .
It was on the worlds biggest auction site, was already well away with 24 hours to go.
I dont really think the hundred or so watchers would be detered by one string missing.

The bubble of £1500 JV basses burst long ago as people went and dug them out of the cupboard and loft and the missing hundreds appear to be getting found.

It might have made £300- £350, a minter from here only made £400.

If they come back to you wanting the £500 are you going to pay up ?

The Member who was after it, you have my sympathy, but having a closer look, they might have done you a favour, it did look well beaten.

Edited by spacey

You can bet that if there were a hundred watchers on this item that a fair few of them would have sent messages of some sort to the seller (whether to gain an advantage or not), several of which would no doubt have alerted the seller to the possible value of the item.

In any case correspondence between a bidder, a watcher (or anyone else interested in the listing) and an eBay seller is entirely the business of that bidder or watcher and no-one else's!

I'm finding the constant harassment of one member of this parish - for the 'crime' of telling us that he had sent a message and the nature of that message - a bit tiresome to say the least, and not in the spirit of this forum. Who really is 'jealous' exactly, and why?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1388753518' post='2325569']
You can bet that if there were a hundred watchers on this item that a fair few of them would have sent messages of some sort to the buyer (whether to gain an advantage or not), several of which would no doubt have alerted the seller to the possible value of the item.

In any case correspondence between a bidder, a watcher (or anyone else interested in the listing) and an eBay seller is entirely the business of that bidder or watcher and no-one else's!

I'm finding the constant harassment of one member of this parish - for the 'crime' of telling us that he had sent a message and the nature of that message - a bit tiresome to say the least, and not in the spirit of this forum. Who really is 'jealous' exactly, and why?
[/quote]

+1

It also seems a bit ironic that this thread started by suggesting that the seller may have been a scammer, but then ciriticises a BC member for telling the seller what the bass is actually worth.

Edited by simon1964

[color=#000000]

Here you go. It will be re-listed, possibly after a cleanup and a restringing.

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=2]Hi Gareth, yes I decided to end it now I know a bit more about them and I'll relist it with a better description. Lucy[/size][/font]

[size=2][b]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=2]- vwluvbug09[/size][/font][/b][/size] [font=arial, sans-serif][size=2][b]Reply in your email program or through My Messages[/b][/size][/font] [url="http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11051.m44.l1154/7?euid=605e7c780fbb4776bc6690b99f15d209&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fcontact.ebay.co.uk%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FM2MContact%26item%3D360823222312%26requested%3Dvwluvbug09%26qid%3D744510938014%26redirect%3D0%26ssPageName%3DADME%3AX%3ARTQ%3AGB%3A1154"][/url] [/color]
[color=#000000]
[color=#666666][font=verdana, sans-serif][size=1]

[/size][/font][/color]

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=2][b]Dear vwluvbug09,[/b]

How did the sale go Lucy. Did you decide to pull it because of the low bidding? Or did you get an a decent offer from elsewhere you couldn't turn down?

It's a very nice bass and a bit of TLC will turn it into an instrument somebody will be proud of.

Cheers

Gareth[/size][/font] [/color]

The way I see it - she will relist the bass with a high starting price or a high reserve, it won't sell, then some music shop or trader will contact her with a £350-400 offer, will buy it and then display it in their shop for £700. There goes the chance of every bass player who was hoping to get an affordable quality instrument. (I am not interested in this bass)
I would personally stay out of other people's business especially if I am not interested in buying. Especially if I don't know the state of the goods for sale. I think the only appropriate case to contact someone is to warn them of a scam/not genuine product. I think this bass would have sold for appropriate price considering the state of the market at the moment (post Xmas/NYs).
Just my thoughts.

...Forgot to mention... Do you actually know what this bass costs the seller? Probably nothing, or near nothing. So whatever they would have sold it for it would have been a profit to them and potentially a benefit to a lucky fellow bass player. They might have picked it up on a wholesale, inherited it or just acquired it in some way that costed them pennies.
When I bought my Alembic Epic V fretless on here a few years ago from Chris, I paid £600. That was the price he wanted, that's what he paid and he was nice enough to pass it on without seeking a profit. Well the bass was worth twice that. I really wouldn't want someone to start convincing him he shouldn't sell it for less than let's say £1200 a day before I went to Newcastle to buy it.

Whoops just saw she's selling on behalf of a friend who might have been a bass player. Maybe true, maybe not... But still since she's been asking his decision on whether to end the auction early or accept someone's offer, then they don't seem that clueless to me.
So she has absolutely no idea about the bass apart from "it's in a bad state and "couldn't get it to work but might be alright with some TLC", but they are still refusing offers and don't want to end the auction early...

I would personally stay away from that (the business part I mean)

Edited by Steff

[quote name='Steff' timestamp='1388755887' post='2325639']
I would personally stay out of other people's business especially if I am not interested in buying. Just my thoughts.
[/quote]

Are you interested in buying it? If not, posting that comment seems a bit self-contradictory.

The thread has become more or less a discussion whether it's right or wrong to tell the seller he is selling cheap so in that sense no, I don't think it's self-contradictory at all since we are discussing it.

And after all by saying what I think I don't fail anyone's potential deal, do I? I think you might have misunderstood my point. My opinion here won't have any deal braking consequences for anyone.

Edited by Steff

Nobody was selling anything "cheap" it was on E-Bay in a bidding auction.
Speaking of what is in spirit of the forum.

I take it intefering in other members potentiol purchases when you clearly have no intention of purchasing it yourself is fine then ?
The high bidder was on here and we were all looking foward to seeing the pics of it fixed up and polished and getting cherrished been played.

Personally, I would not intefere with another members deal, if I do not want to buy the bass, then I am out and good luck to the auction winner, I hope they get a bargain.

This apprently makes me the bad guy of the forum.
Then so be it, but I would rather the member bidding had the JV bass than a collecter.

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1388758763' post='2325687']
Are you interested in buying it? If not, posting that comment seems a bit self-contradictory.
[/quote]

In that spirit why don't we all start contacting sellers telling them how cheap they sell and lift the prices of our tools (yes tools as I do music for a living) to unreasonable or unaffordable levels?
That is why I think it's wrong and that is why I think I should express my opinion here. Sorry don't mean to sound harsh or offending but to me this is just very wrong.