Why become a member? ×

JV Pbass.. Scam or Clueless???

Nibody

These Good Samaritans must trawl eBay and Gumtree day and night with the hope of seeing something that they decide is going too cheaply. I had this with a motorbike on ebay years ago when i won the auction for £1500. It was a good buy but not the bargain of the century by any means. After i'd contacted the seller to arrange picking it up i was informed that they might not sell it to me as someone had emailed messaged then to say it was worth £2500. I simply told them to take the £2500 if someone had actually offered that amount to them and if they did then i was happy to cancel my bid. I got an email a day later saying that the person didn't want to buy it for £2500 but was just 'advising' them of it's value. I picked up the bike the next day.
Some people just love getting involved in other peoples business and perhaps it makes them feel good or maybe even wanted that they can pass on information on something they know a little about. There's a bloke that sits on a bench down my high street who 'advises' drivers on how and where to park their cars. Next time i see him i'll ask him if he's ever been on eBay. :)

I'm genuinely puzzled by this thread. It started by implying that the eBay seller was a dishonest scammer. When it was established that in fact she had no idea what she was selling, and was likely to sell it at a fraction of what it was worth, a BC member then gets flamed for telling her what the true position is.

In essence, the thread accuses the seller of being dishonest, the criticises said BC member for being honest. Most odd...

Edited by simon1964

If you check the listing better you will see where she states she sells on behalf of a friend who obviously is a former bass player as she says "It was fine when he last played it". You will also see where she's been offered to end the auction early but her friend refused to do it. So her friend, the former bass player obviously has an idea what he's selling. She is just listing the item.

Edited by Steff

It was not for sale, it was for open auction and would have sold to the highest bidder, it was at £200 with a full day to go.
An average Squire sells for £90, so those in the know, knew and were bidding accordingly.

Where does dishonesty come in to it ?

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1388789890' post='2326224']
When it was established that in fact she had no idea what she was selling, and was likely to sell it at a fraction of what it was worth, a BC member then gets flamed for telling her what the true position is.

[/quote]

Are you sure £500-700 is "the true position"? I'm most definitely not. I think he has mislead her. Caused her to end the auction and because of that a fellow basschater lost a possible deal on a battered JV. That's how I see it. Nothing to do with being honest or dishonest. More like messing up two or more people.

[quote name='Steff' timestamp='1388791360' post='2326247']

Are you sure £500-700 is "the true position"? I'm most definitely not. I think he has mislead her. Caused her to end the auction and because of that a fellow basschater lost a possible deal on a battered JV. That's how I see it. Nothing to do with being honest or dishonest. More like messing up two or more people.
[/quote]

No -but I am sure she had no idea what a JV Squier is, or how much they are worth compared to a bog standard Squier. She thought she was selling a bit of tat, rather than a collectable instrument. Whatever it's worth, I am not going to criticise gjones for giving her the heads up.

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1388791244' post='2326246']
It was not for sale, it was for open auction and would have sold to the highest bidder, it was at £200 with a full day to go.
An average Squire sells for £90, so those in the know, knew and were bidding accordingly.

Where does dishonesty come in to it ?
[/quote]

I haven't accused anyone of being dishonest. The thread title does that by suggesting the seller might be a scammer.

Al I have done is commend gjones's honesty in telling the seller what a JV Squier is.

No mate, you aren't criticising gjones, you are criticising the rest of us who don't agree with what he's done.
Of course she has no clue what she's selling. On the other hand, as I've pointed out already, the OWNER of the bass on who's behalf she's selling it, has an idea as he refused to take the offers and decided to wait for the auction to end. Now someone tells him this bass is actually worth £700 if polished. OK, good luck with the sale then and good luck to anyone who pays £700. I don't see it happening. So the whole outcome of the "honesty" and "good advice" is as I said messin up with people and wasting people's time. If gjones hadn't interfered, someone (possibly a fellow basschater) would have bought himself a nice restoration project for about £350 which I think is the real value of THIS exact bass. As they say "The road to hell is paved with good intentions". What a fine example this thread is.

Just a question to you guys, to conclude my point as this is getting a bit too much already... Please answer honestly to yourselves, not to me. I have my answer.

If you were interested in buying such bass and you've won the audition for let's say £350, would you then contact the seller saying "Listen, this bass is worth £500 so that's why I am gonna pay you more"? I wouldn't. I don't have a money tree growing in my back yard. If I had won the lottery, then maybe yes, I would do such charity. If anyone has excess money, please buy me a bass. I will put it to good use as I gig 3-6 days per week for my money. But please don't spoil other people's potential deals and then try to convince me "this is the right thing to do". No way.

[quote name='Steff' timestamp='1388799682' post='2326325']
I've said enough to make my point, if you don't wanna read my posts or think about what I'm saying then there's no point of this ;)

Peace

Steff
[/quote]

Rest assured I have read your posts, and thought about what you've said. I fear we'll have to differ. Although I remain puzzled at your concern over gjones's honesty...

And peace to you too.

Edited by simon1964

It's out of place mate. It's not honesty, it's an assumption. He doesn't know if this bass could sell for £500-700 if polished. The market is very tight at the moment. Very few people are buying.
So we aren't talking of honesty here, but for an assumption presented as an expert opinion that messed up a deal.

I am a big fan of honesty.

[quote name='Steff' timestamp='1388800571' post='2326332']
I am a big fan of honesty.
[/quote]

Then you must be a big fan of gjones' approach? As far as I can can tell, all he's done is tell the seller what she was selling. Or are you suggesting he was dishonest?

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='Steff' timestamp='1388802362' post='2326346']
No, he has told him how much he should sell it for.

How is that a honesty?

This is pointless.
[/quote]

This was gjones' first post:

"I think it's kosher. The seller usually sells jumble sale tat. I've sent a message to say she's better off ending the auction, giving it a clean and maybe getting a local music shop to restring and test it. That way she's more likely to get top dollar for it. Whether she'll take my advice or not, I don't know.......probably not."

Frankly I'm not his apologist, but you can't argue with that post. As it happens, I don't want a JV Squier, and we're clearly not going to agree - so lets agree to differ!

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1388617647' post='2324189']
Maybe she took my advice and ended it early, if it didn't looked like she wasn't going to get a decent price for it. I said that, even in the manky condition that it was in, it was worth £500. Given a clean and a set of strings up to £700. She seemed, from the emails I recieved, that she just genuinely didn't have a clue.
[/quote]

He doesn't know if this bass could ever sell for £700. Or if it could sell for £500 in current condition. He's in no position to advise such thing. This has nothing to do with honesty.
The OWNER of the bass knows what he's selling as I pointed out but gjones has mislead him and broke the deal. This is wrong. Top shape Squier JVs are for sale for £700-800 and I mean shiny as they've just left the production line. And they don't sell that well. Please stop calling this act "a honesty" because it's nothing but messing with people, advising them "expert" opinions... This is some kind of misunderstood idea of justice. Please, people with extreme sense of honesty, go write emails to the government about the high taxes, prices of electricity and gas, well car insurance is definitely a rip off, anyone who had the misfortune to deal with them companies will confirm, are you writing to them or complaining about it to the ombudsman? Now that'll be genuine complaint. Please all good samaritans focus your energy this way instead of giving wrong hope to sellers and breaking deals for buyers by "expertly" evaluate second hand basses or judge the current market. This is no honesty. This is some wrong ambition and simple incompetence.

Edited by Steff

Well I'm going to bed now. But it seems to me this thread can be summarised in two paragraphs:

- this person is a scammer and might be selling a bass which is not what she says it is...

- oh, hang on, she might be a bit of a newbie and not be aware of what a JV Squier is. Let's see if we can screw her and buy the bass for less than it's worth*...

*incidentally, we'll have a pop at a Basschat member in the meantime for telling her this is actually a collectible instrument worth significantly more than she thought...

hey ho. Let's hope the ebay seller isn't a Basschat member.

Night!

Edited by simon1964

1. I never thought it's a scam, and there was only a couple of people in the beginning assuming it might be. They didn't join the arguing so that's an irrelevant point

2. She is a newbie and she doesn't know as she is selling on behalf of someone but the OWNER (and this is the 4th time I'm saying this so you're clearly not reading me) knows as he refused offers and decided to let the auction end (which your defendant didn't really allow to happen) and he CLEARLY knew what he's got as he is a former bassist from what I get. So your second point is wrong too.

3. If the basschater in question had left the auction running in peace, the bass would have sold for I guess a fair price as there was over a day left with £200 current bid. Everyone who has any experience with ebay knows the last minute is insanely intense and the price could go up a lot. Last I had it with a '64 fender jazz pickup that was £100 at the start of the last hour and it sold for £250 so neither of you actually knows how much it would have sold for if gjones hadn't interfere.

Your points are based on assumptions and shifting the focus away from the real facts. They are:

"She" is just a shop, "He" is a bass player
The bass is in crap condition
You DON'T know how much it would have sold for
You DON'T know how much it's worth now or after a refurb (that'll be at least a couple hundred looking at the photos)
The last GREAT condition Squier precision JV that was sold here for £650.

Do you keep insisting that telling the seller the bass is worth £700 is a good idea? I can't see how. I only saw someone breaking a deal by advising wrong and unchecked opinion.

So please don't tell me that is honesty.

Edited by Steff

Rest assured that I have read all of that. But surely jgones' only "crime" is that he told her this was a JV Squier. You and I, and most Basschat members, know that that makes it far more collectible than a normal Squier. The seller quite clearly did not know that.

Whatever it would have gone for on ebay, she thought it was worth far less than it was. Telling her the true provenance of this bass, as gjones did, is to be commended rather than criticised. Put that another way, telling the truth is to be commended. A point which you seem to have singularly ignored.

As I say, I have no personal interest in this bass. I've got three great Precisions already, and don't need another one. But I do find the moral posturing in this thread quite extraordinary.

Right - i really am going to bed now!

Edited by simon1964