Why become a member? ×

JV Pbass.. Scam or Clueless???

Nibody

They are a lot appearing, they were a £129 brand new in the box bass sold at most music shops.
They got put in cupboards and forgotton about .
They were reasonably well made on a par with the latest Squire deluxe range's.

Someone decided they were ultra rare and the price rocketed, this has lead to people digging out the cheap beginers bass from the loft or back cupbaord and they are hitting the markets by the thousands and mugs are grabbing them thinking they are really worth £1000+
They are not and as they are hitting the market place in bulk now the word is out the price will fall back.

They were the beginers Christmas bass of the day and they certainly sold in quite large numbers at the time,
As folk who long gave up playing dig them out of lofts and closets, every one that hits the market knocks the price down as people work out that they are not as "rare" as first thought.

I have had the odd one here and there, they play OK, but I would never dream of paying more than a nice USA Fender precision price for them.
Like all bubbles, it will burst.

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1388497296' post='2322648']
They are a lot appearing, they were a £129 brand new in the box bass sold at most music shops.
They got put in cupboards and forgotton about .
They were reasonably well made on a par with the latest Squire deluxe range's.

Someone decided they were ultra rare and the price rocketed, this has lead to people digging out the cheap beginers bass from the loft or back cupbaord and they are hitting the markets by the thousands and mugs are grabbing them thinking they are really worth £1000+
They are not and as they are hitting the market place in bulk now the word is out the price will fall back.

They were the beginers Christmas bass of the day and they certainly sold in quite large numbers at the time,
As folk who long gave up playing dig them out of lofts and closets, every one that hits the market knocks the price down as people work out that they are not as "rare" as first thought.

I have had the odd one here and there, they play OK, but I would never dream of paying more than a nice USA Fender precision price for them.
Like all bubbles, it will burst.
[/quote]

That is £370 in today's money. Hardly beginner basses, more like the Classic Vibe series, which are fantastic instruments.

Yes, thats the range I would pitch them at, they had a similar build quality, in those days, there were very few cheap instruments, they were about half the cost of a USA precision minius a case as well.
They were brought out to answer the Tokai copies and pitched to match, they were very similar in construction as well.
In those days £300 in todays money was a budget instrument, I remember paying £775 for a brand new cased USA precision with the Jap fender badged version pitched at £550, so at £129 even translated to todays money, they were a very cheap bass, the Ibanez blazer was £149 and £20 was £20

Now if we are talking rare, who has ever seen a USA Squire, they did make them !

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1388497296' post='2322648']

They were the beginers Christmas bass of the day and they certainly sold in quite large numbers at the time,[/quote]

Way off! For starters, they were £195-£225 in the shops; back then I was making £70 a week! Lucky beginner to get one for Xmas. There were many cheaper options.

Also, they were widely recognised as pretty special at the time. Many, many pros and semi-pros put aside their old Fenders and started using JV Squiers (and Tokais) on regular gigs. This hadn't ever happened before.

I quite like the look of the eBay one but it's already within £50 of what I'd pay in that condition.

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1388498693' post='2322688']
They were brought out to answer the Tokai copies and pitched to match, they were very similar in construction as well.
[/quote]
In actual fact they were a result of Fender looking at the quality of the replica-grade copies being made by Fujigen Gakki and sold in the US & Japan branded as Greco. Fender Japan was licensed to be run by Kanda Shokai, owner of the Greco brand, part of the deal being the cessation of production of Greco Fender clones. Anecdotally the earliest JV Squiers were manufactured to be sold as Greco.

Squiers were originally only available in the Japanese market, and these first JVs were branded with a big Fender logo & small Squier. A few of these ended up over here when Squiers started to be exported - them's the rare ones!

J.

Maybe she took my advice and ended it early, if it didn't looked like she wasn't going to get a decent price for it. I said that, even in the manky condition that it was in, it was worth £500. Given a clean and a set of strings up to £700. She seemed, from the emails I recieved, that she just genuinely didn't have a clue.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1388617647' post='2324189']
Maybe she took my advice and ended it early, if it didn't looked like she wasn't going to get a decent price for it. I said that, even in the manky condition that it was in, it was worth £500. Given a clean and a set of strings up to £700. She seemed, from the emails I recieved, that she just genuinely didn't have a clue.
[/quote]

Well that'll have shot any BCer in the foot who was hoping to snag a JV on the cheap (and take the chance of it being fecked)! :blink:[size=4] [/size]

[/quote]
Priceless. I love BC at times. :lol:

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1388619537' post='2324212']
Well that'll have shot any BCer in the foot who was hoping to snag a JV on the cheap (and take the chance of it being fecked)! :blink:
[/quote]

True. I just didn't want her to just give it away for pennies. After all bit of elbow grease costs nothing. I also advised her to take it to the nearest music shop, to fit a set of cheap strings, where they would probably take it off her hands for significantly more than she would have got on an ebay auction (as long as it was basically sound with a functioning truss).

Did I do a bad thing :blush:

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1388622051' post='2324242']
Did I do a bad thing :blush:
[/quote]

I think if the seller had let the auction run its course the bass would have found its level in the market. I'm sure that plenty of people apart from Basschatters knew what they were looking at and the seller would have got a reasonable amount for it.

I don't think anyone would have snagged it on the cheap.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1388627931' post='2324265']

I think if the seller had let the auction run its course the bass would have found its level in the market. I'm sure that plenty of people apart from Basschatters knew what they were looking at and the seller would have got a reasonable amount for it.

I don't think anyone would have snagged it on the cheap.
[/quote]

Agreed - however in that condition and the 'risk aspect' I wouldn't have bid anywhere near £500.

Would've been interesting to see what it did if it had run its course, I suppose. Probably sensible though for the seller (or its actual owner, if they are in fact different people) to get it tidied up & maximise their profit.

Either that, or someone made a genuinely silly offer she couldn't refuse.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1388337111' post='2320919']
This is a straight-up auction for a beat-up JV that's been in someone's loft for the last 20 years, and prior to that, has had a hard life of abuse & neglect like 99% of budget, second-best, throwaway cheap JapCrap instruments.

It's always good to remind oneself how these instruments were seen in their day, and why it is they're so scarce now. Most of them will have been chucked in landfills decades ago.

Jon.

[/quote]

I agree wholeheartedly with this.

Edited by Hutton

[/quote]

I'll be honest and come out and say it, I really don't get it when people do this.

It stops someone maybe getting a decent deal and a project to work on, and it can often fill the people who don't know about the item with unrealistic expectations and the hassle of getting it sorted!

Each to their own, but I don't see it as being honest or doing anyone a favour.

(For the record, I'm not interested in JV's and wouldn't have known about them myself prior to joining basschat)

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1388666620' post='2324497']
I'll be honest and come out and say it, I really don't get it when people do this.

It stops someone maybe getting a decent deal and a project to work on, and it can often fill the people who don't know about the item with unrealistic expectations and the hassle of getting it sorted!

Each to their own, but I don't see it as being honest or doing anyone a favour.

(For the record, I'm not interested in JV's and wouldn't have known about them myself prior to joining basschat)
[/quote]

I just don't like people being taken advantage of. We can sometimes come across as a bit predatory in situations like this.

Who knows who she was selling it on behalf of? Maybe they really needed the money? Worst case scenario is that she gave it a scrub and put some strings on it and it will sell it for a couple of hundred more than she would have got otherwise.

I'm happy with that.

Agreed

I'd be annoyed if I'd been hunting this JV and some bleeding heart had filled in the seller so that it was withdrawn. why would you? What business is it of your's?

Killjoy

Edited by Twigman

Maybe it's me, but I don't think a clean and some strings will increase what someone would bid, but it will now have increased her expectations...

Is 500 to 700 a sensible expectation for that JV? I personally wouldn't expect that, but I'm not an expert, but now she may be expecting that.

Don't get me wrong, if you feel you have done a good thing, good on you. I wouldn't have, but not for greed.

I just don't think it will have helped her out if her situation is as she says...

A personal example - My parents have been sat on a collection of thousands of jazz records for years that they inherited, but they don't know what to do with them, but don't want to just get someone in to bulk buy as they have been told there are some rarities in there... The result has been many years of stress over them, trying to research value, catalogue the vinyl etc. and they won't let me take it away from them to do.

Just my 2p, as I found this a relevant place to mention what I thought of examples of people contacting sellers to 'do them a favour'

[quote name='deanovw' timestamp='1388670385' post='2324559']
I think it would have eventually sold for what it was worth.

I have just sold a very nice JV jazz bass on ebay for £400 as thats all I could get for it. The market decides.
[/quote]

Kinda what I mean, you describe yours as 'very nice' and got £400, this one looks in poor nick, possibly warped, and the person may now believe with a polish and some strings it's £500-£700 worth...

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1388669774' post='2324552']
Agreed

I'd be annoyed if I'd been hunting this JV and some bleeding heart had filled in the seller so that it was withdrawn. why would you? What business is it of your's?

Killjoy
[/quote]

I'm getting a cut of the final price. Anything over £150 I get 50%.

[quote name='deanovw' timestamp='1388670385' post='2324559']
I think it would have eventually sold for what it was worth.

I have just sold a very nice JV jazz bass on ebay for £400 as thats all I could get for it. The market decides.
[/quote]

Whaaaaaaaa! You had it on here for £750. That was a nice bass, sorry to hear that. But Christmas is probably a bad time to try and sell anything as people are usually watching the pennies around Dec/Jan.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1388672621' post='2324599']
Whaaaaaaaa! You had it on here for £750. That was a nice bass, sorry to hear that. But Christmas is probably a bad time to try and sell anything as people are usually watching the pennies around Dec/Jan.
[/quote]

Yep, you are prob right but it had to go as I needed to pay for a new bass. The new owner is very happy.
Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay.

[/quote]

I don't think that is particularly good advice to be honest :)
But its been taken down so never mind.