Why become a member? ×

Guilty pleasures

Gust0o

We've done this before, no doubt :)

But... I was thinking it over, as I read through a few recent threads. We have a lot of commentary here about what bass might be best for this, or for that; and I'm sure, whilst we'd argue over which specific bass was best or which brand, I think we've got an approximate sense of what quality is. We know our Fenders from our Squiers; our Rickenbackers from our Rockinbetters; we have our arbiters of taste, and turn a blind eye to every man and his dog playing a couple of time-tested designs ;)

But do we have any guilty pleasures, where we buck the approbation of our peers and bandmates, and pick up something which we know not everyone will like, but which just feels bloody cool to play? :)

I think mine is the Epiphone EB3. I shouldn't like it; I know many don't. But, small body; slim neck; black with rosewood and blocks; and the neck mudbucker... there's something about it :)

Anyone else?

Jay Turser '51/'54-a-like. :blush:
Bought a few years ago off here. Obvious neck problems when it arrived so it ended up in a corner gathering dust. A year or so later I decided to have a crack at getting it going again. Some neck and fret work later she's utterly very playable. The original pup was a bit polite so I swapped it out for a Fender job... which subsequently fell apart under the pressure of my thumb so I rewound and repaired it and now it sounds amazing. It's a fantastic bass for noodling on and costs a veritable fraction of my other basses... and light. I never get over the surprise when I pick it up, it feels like it's made from paper. :)

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1387206319' post='2309319']
My BC Rich Warlock NT. It's beautiful and sounds immense with it's double P's.
[/quote]

I think a lot of the BC Richs fall into this category - some absolutely thumping basses, but much derided! The NT was a good bass :)

I don't have guilty pleasures. I enjoy every bass I own and play, and the approval and blessing of my fellow bass players is not at the forefront of my mind when I pick my next bass (or any other piece of kit). On the other hand, I very much enjoy reading other people's opinion of something, as that can help inform my decisions.

I religiously play my basses in rotation, so that I rarely play the same bass two gigs or even two practices in a row. That keeps fresh my appreciation of what I have, and helps with my decisions on what to buy and sell.

Really? We'd rule out half the threads on the forum if we discounted people not liking on bass or another :lol:

I think, with the EB3, my comment was based upon a little bias, I guess - I think we've convinced ourselves that they're a cheaper bass. I think it's actually pretty cool and should check my bias at the door more often :)