Why become a member? ×

Tweeters...or not...a discovery

nottswarwick

So, I'm in my studio testing my new to me Streamliner 900. Marvellous it is too. I've nabbed the "flat"setting off TB and all is splendid.

Anyway, I'm using it into my Neox 212t. I have always , always used tweeters in all my cabs. I kind of felt that I might be missing something if I didn't.

Then, out of interest, I turned it off totally. To my surprise it sounded just as good, if not slightly cleaner and rounder.

So, I'm pleased. Pleased as I am now tempted to score one of the Compacts in the fs section. I reckon the STM into one might sound rather splendid.

Just sharing.

Any thoughts?

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1386967530' post='2307073']
Any thoughts?
[/quote]Most tweeters don't do anything below 4kHz, and most players don't have a lot of content in their tone above 6kHz, so getting along without them you don't lose much. What most players can benefit from is better response between 2kHz and 5kHz, where midrange drivers operate. But midrange drivers and their crossovers are more expensive than tweeters, so they're rarely seen.

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1386967530' post='2307073']
So, I'm in my studio testing my new to me Streamliner 900. Marvellous it is too. I've nabbed the "flat"setting off TB and all is splendid.

Anyway, I'm using it into my Neox 212t. I have always , always used tweeters in all my cabs. I kind of felt that I might be missing something if I didn't.

Then, out of interest, I turned it off totally. To my surprise it sounded just as good, if not slightly cleaner and rounder.

So, I'm pleased. Pleased as I am now tempted to score one of the Compacts in the fs section. I reckon the STM into one might sound rather splendid.

Just sharing.

Any thoughts?
[/quote]

Streamliner 900 + Compact? Splendid indeed!

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1386971861' post='2307154']
Most tweeters don't do anything below 4kHz, and most players don't have a lot of content in their tone above 6kHz, so getting along without them you don't lose much. What most players can benefit from is better response between 2kHz and 5kHz, where midrange drivers operate. But midrange drivers and their crossovers are more expensive than tweeters, so they're rarely seen.
[/quote]
Must be why my old Musicman HD212 ( 2 x 12" + 1 x 6") sound so good!

I think it depends on what you are doing, music-wise. If you play a lot of slap or use a lot of harmonics - then a [b][i]good[/i][/b] tweeter can be an asset. Otherwise, a tweeter can introduce a nasty, clicky, fizzy bite to the tone IME.

Like every piece of gear, you need to be careful how and when you use it. I think the ideal compromise is a cab with an adjustable tweeter- this allows experimentation.

I haven't had a cab with a tweeter for a couple of years, and haven't missed one... until this week when I trialled a TKS H115. It has a very nice adjustable tweeter, and in many other ways is quite similar to a Compact. Nice cab, nice tone. Maybe worth consideration if you are thinking about a Compact but want to keep the option of a tweeter?

I do like the sound of the Compact, but did wish it extended a little bit higher. It responds well to the tone controls on a Shuttle except tweaking the treble is barely noticable. Oddly, the Midget, with the same frequency response on paper, does react more to the treble range, possibly as a result of the cab having a higher upper-mids emphasis. I'm using fretless exclusively at the mo and the upper mids work really well with it to the extent I believe a tweeter would be superfluous.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1387118467' post='2308321']
I've used my Streamliner through a Compact and a TechSoundsystems 2x12 and have to say that the 2x12 wins hands down. Compact is a good cab but won't compete with your Neox if you ask me.
[/quote]

Yeah. My neox last night was awesome. I rolled the tweeter off, and still had plenty of details. Warm, punchy, loud. Marvellous pairing.

I currently also run a 212 NeoX. In my experience, this cab's LF driver gives much more upper mid frequency information than most cabs I have used (and that is a LOT of different cabs), so dialling the tweeter down will still leave decent clarity and enough mid information. With most tweetered bass cabs I find that there is an upper mids "hole" if the tweeter is dialled down too far. The Genz Neox NX2 is a cracking cab !

Edited by hamfist

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1387118467' post='2308321']
I've used my Streamliner through a Compact and a TechSoundsystems 2x12 and have to say that the 2x12 wins hands down. Compact is a good cab but won't compete with your Neox if you ask me.
[/quote]

Interesting. My experience was exactly the opposite!

Just shows how subjective sound is... B)