Why become a member? ×

Buying/trading a used amp: would you expect a power cable?

Roland Rock

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1386276017' post='2298236']
:D :D :D
Where to start . . . . .
(we are having a laugh about all this aren't we - I don't want any falling out over a bloody mains lead! ;) )

1. The French DO use the same electricity as us - in fact they typically supply us with about 10% of our needs. But they just happen to be good Europeans and use the European mains connectors. I couldn't possibly comment on your other characterisations about the French.

2. You're right - amps ARE allowed to have detachable components . . . like instrument leads and loudspeakers for example. I look forward to those being included when you sell me an amp.

3. Don't start me on the sonic characteristics of mains leads, otherwise we probably will fall out!

4. Most modern amps have 'universal' PSUs, which is the [u]very reason[/u] why mains leads have become separate items over the years. It makes things easier and cheaper for manufacturers, so easy in fact that it's not unusual for products to be shipped with multiple mains leads - which is why I have boxes of European and US mains leads as well as spare UK ones.

5. Let the buyer beware? Yes! Don't assume an amp will be shipped with a mains lead - check!

6. All the above subject to ;) :D :lol: (hopefully that'll be enough to avoid any offence).
[/quote]

The only way we are falling out is if you sell me an amp without a lead! ( I'm not French). :lol:

The sonic properties of mains leads is a contentious issue, that is true, but amps with no mains lead all tend to sound very similar in use , i.e silent.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1386262506' post='2297923']

Because the connector on an actual kettle lead is a different shape so it wouldn't fit the mains input socket on an amp.
[/quote]

Almost. :)

A kettle lead will fit an amp socket but an amp lead won't fit a kettle.

It's exactly the same shape connector but the 13A socket has a little 'lump' on it which stops a 6A cable from being plugged into it unless you are daft enough to sit there carving plastic. :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1386277067' post='2298265']
Almost. :)

A kettle lead will fit an amp socket but an amp lead won't fit a kettle.

It's exactly the same shape connector but the 13A socket has a little 'lump' on it which stops a 6A cable from being plugged into it unless you are daft enough to sit there carving plastic. :)
[/quote]

So pedants beware - when someone talks about using a kettle lead, they might be right. :D

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1386276914' post='2298261']
The sonic properties of mains leads is a contentious issue, that is true, but amps with no mains lead all tend to sound very similar in use , i.e silent.
[/quote]

Equally contentious is that some amps would sound better without a mains lead at all. ;)

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1386269714' post='2298113']
Are there any manufacturers that supply amplifiers without power leads? I don't know of any.
I was a bit miffed when I was sent a previously enjoyed amp without one.
I could have used the lead from one of my other amps, but why should I have to?
If you were the original purchaser, send everything on as you received it. It's not difficult and it's good manners.
[/quote]

I agree with this. But, I am quite old and still wear cuff-links.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1386277473' post='2298280']
I wasn't supplied a mains lead when I bought my amp. Was I swindled..? :huh:

[attachment=149923:Vox_Ampl.jpg]
[/quote]

Is that the classic old AC30 hearing aid , like they used to use back in the '60's? You can't beat the sound of valves. That bit that goes in your ear looks a bit sharp and uncomfortable, though.

Watch out when you have a 300-500w amp. They don't always have "soft start". This is just a circuit in front of the transformer that prevents a big inrush current when you turn it on.

I grabbed a "spare lead" from my bag at a gig. Turned on and nothing. Went through everything and swapped leads with another. All was ok.

The drummer chucked the lead in the bin because it was broken (save me from idiots). I fished it out and took it home and left it on the kitchen top to replace the fuse.

Fast forward to next gig, same thing happens. Except it was the same lead. My wife had helpfully put it back in my lead bag because it was 'lying around'.

Anyway, turns out it was only fused with a 5amp fuse which had blown due to the inrush. My 'normal' one had a 10amp in it.

So, check what size fuse your amp needs and don't assume they're all the same.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1386280833' post='2298354']...That bit that goes in your ear...[/quote]

What do you mean, goes in your ear..? That's not where I've been told to shove it (...and more than once..!). :blush:
Definitely uncomfortable, though. :mellow:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1386281634' post='2298369']
What do you mean, goes in your ear..? That's not where I've been told to shove it (...and more than once..!). :blush:
Definitely uncomfortable, though. :mellow:
[/quote]

Ah , my mistake. Just another reason why when it comes to vintage gear you really do need to know your arse from your elbow or you can end up in serious trouble!

In that case , it must be the AC100 suppository kit like McCartney used with a 2x15 cab. It was a big part of how he got that sound with his Rickenbacker on "Dear Prudence".