Why become a member? ×

Reduced Friction neck !

Geddys nose

They're comparison to trying to slide your hand on glass is interesting. Most bass necks are wood and have a totally different surface depending on how heavily finished they are and what they're finished with. All the graphite necks I've tried have never hindered me either even though I'm not a fan.

So yeh, I think it's snake oil and countless musicians that are not hindered by standard necks. That textured finish is also going to collect the worst kind of grime and dirt from hours of playing! Nasty all around.

Try this out, it's stupid cheap and incredibly jaw-dropping.

Finest wire wool, rub up and down the entire back of the neck including the fretboard edges. (Mask off the pups first, they'll only collect all the bits).

Wipe off everything with a cloth and then give it a quick polish with decent guitar stuff.

Run your hand up and down and be ready to catch yourself before you fall.

Do this to a cheapy first if you don't believe it.

You can thank me later.

[quote name='LITTLEWING' timestamp='1386089443' post='2295584']
Try this out, it's stupid cheap and incredibly jaw-dropping.

Finest wire wool, rub up and down the entire back of the neck including the fretboard edges. (Mask off the pups first, they'll only collect all the bits).

Wipe off everything with a cloth and then give it a quick polish with decent guitar stuff.

Run your hand up and down and be ready to catch yourself before you fall.

Do this to a cheapy first if you don't believe it.

You can thank me later.
[/quote]

I'm with you on roughing up a high gloss neck - but I'd keep wire wool far away from my magnets and electronics - and away from my fingerboard. got a sliver of chrome in my finger a couple of days ago. can't imagine steel wool being any nicer.

Use kitchen scrubber / scotchbrite pads. A couple of passes will take very little off the finish and leave harmless powdered finish and plastic from the scrubber.

[quote name='Gazza 2905' timestamp='1386237216' post='2297457']
Couldn't agree more!

I find my hand moves better across a glossy/polished neck, - lower coefficient of friction surely?
[/quote]

Yup.... I use T-cut/fine cutting compound on sticky necks - to finish the job that should have been done at the factory...

Edited by OldG

[quote name='Gazza 2905' timestamp='1386237216' post='2297457']

Couldn't agree more!

I find my hand moves better across a glossy/polished neck, - lower coefficient of friction surely?
[/quote]

This came up in a previous thread, and I found the following random web info:

"On polished surfaces exist more contact points between the contact partners. Therefore the friction coefficient is slightly higher, the mechanical losses and the surface temperature are increased.
• On smooth, polished, moving surfaces the so called „stick-slip“ effect can have much more dramatic consequences. This is a change of static friction and sliding friction. It is easy to imitate this phenomenon, by trying to slide a hand over a smooth glass surface. On moving surfaces this effect creates vibrations with high frequencies but low amplitudes."

I have one glossy neck and one non-glossy. The glossy one is a tad stickier, but it makes zero difference when I'm playing.

I would suggest that you change your technique so that you don't slide your hand on the back of the neck.

If the pad of your thumb is the only thing that touches the neck and you release the pressure when you change position you won't have the problem.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1386243129' post='2297560']
I would suggest that you change your technique so that you don't slide your hand on the back of the neck.

If the pad of your thumb is the only thing that touches the neck and you release the pressure when you change position you won't have the problem.
[/quote]

Absolutely - this is why my glossier neck feels stickier when rubbed, but makes no different when played.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1386243129' post='2297560']

[/quote]

I've been working on lightening my left hand . . . all my necks have a semi-glossy or satin finish at this stage - but good technique is the biggie.

A good trick I saw was gary willis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoHEqQzbGAc

My piano teacher at school used to use gaffa tape on his jazz guitar- fairplay it did seem to work but I'd never do it myself, the residue from that stuff's impossible to get off! However even then it has to be easier then fixing whatever the hell that company do to the back of the neck... and a damn site cheaper too!

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1386283728' post='2298412']
the residue from that stuff's impossible to get off!
[/quote]

isopropyl alcohol

or lighter fluid

also a rag soaked in IPA and rub down strings will really clean them up and give them a fresh lease of life

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1386426163' post='2299975']
isopropyl alcohol

or lighter fluid

also a rag soaked in IPA and rub down strings will really clean them up and give them a fresh lease of life
[/quote]

And the orange oil based solvents (e.g. label remover) are great for gaffa tape residue as well (and Blue Tac residue). However, as they always say, "test on an inconspicuous area first".