Why become a member? ×

Pink Floyd me up!

iconic

Never really 'got Pink Floyd even though I grew with my older brother blasting it the bedroom walls when I was young, so as with the Beatles I've discovered them quite late.

What should I be listening to?

So far I've been noodling along to:

Breathe, Shine On, Wish You Here, Comfortably, Money.

I actually find the timing quite tough on some of them, due I think to the slowness and lack of notes being played as I like a busy line.

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1385460806' post='2288434']
Never really 'got Pink Floyd even though I grew with my older brother blasting it the bedroom walls when I was young, so as with the Beatles I've discovered them quite late.

What should I be listening to?
[/quote]
The first two albums are great. It all went downhill for me after that.

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1385460811' post='2288435']
I actually find the timing quite tough on some of them, due I think to the slowness and lack of notes being played as I like a busy line.
[/quote]

I've never really thought of Pink Floyd when looking for a 'busy' bass line. Even the aforementioned 'Money' isn't really that busy.

My favourite has always been Time. A lot of Pink Floyd fans would probably say you should shut yourself in dark room with a pair of over the ear headphones and listen to Dark Side of the Moon and/or The Wall in their entireties. Personally, I was introduced to them in my school days (not all that long ago as I'm 24!) by the compilation type album called Echoes (not the same as the 20 minute tune named Echoes).

I quite like Roger Water's tone on the Live at Pompeii album too.

Comfortably Numb has a massively simple bassline to it.

Money is one of the first songs I ever learnt to play on the bass, a must for any bass player, surely?

Get the Echoes 2CD compilation on the cheap, get an idea of which eras suits you best from that then investigate the original albums from that era, time lines easily available on wiki.
Actually you don't even need to buy the thing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK5qOLH-tSk

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

Always had a keen ear for Floyd. Blame my older sisters for that.
The live album Delicate Sound of Thunder for Guy Pratt doing his thing is super stuff, reason I bought a Spector in early 90s. Money bass solo and all, apparently he doesn't like his solo and loads of over playing and effectastic result. It was the late 80s so a product of the times.
Live album Pulse is a lot more refined and a fantastic mix and the whole of Dark Side to boot.
...Obscured by Clouds is a great over missed album also.

[quote name='TLBX' timestamp='1385472738' post='2288599']
The live album Delicate Sound of Thunder for Guy Pratt doing his thing is super stuff....
[/quote]

Personally I wouldn't recommend this to somebody just getting into Floyd as it's in no way an accurate representation of what make Floyd so brilliant - the material is ruined by a large ensemble of showboating musos IMO.

I'm another big fan of "Animals", easily my favourite album of theirs.

Edited by RhysP

Your dead right mate. Best to start with the early Sid material to get their sound and ideas. But from a modern bass point of view DSoT and the dvd is great totally agree with you on the big ensemble nonsense. But they must have had a ball you can hear it in Pratt's playing taking so many liberties with the songs.
Animals is my personal favorite also. I ended up listening to it in the car today

[quote name='TLBX' timestamp='1385480744' post='2288747']
Your dead right mate......
[/quote]

Hang on a second, this is Basschat - you're not supposed to agree with people on here you know.

A simple "You're talking bollocks, what the f*** do you know? I'm out of here" would have sufficed. :D

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1385486724' post='2288866']
I always like Meddle . Gets overshadowed by Dark Side Of The Moon , for obvious reasons, but it's the record where the Floyd first showed they had what it takes to be something special , in my opinion .
[/quote]

+1 to this. I really love Meddle.