Why become a member? ×

Pre amp Why?

Iheartreverb

So the world (you lot) have persuaded me that I want a pre amp following every single pedal board rocking a sansamp.....I just don't really know why.

I understand the use if your playing into a desk but...

I you needs it to make your amp sound good, why not get a better amp?

If you want the ampeg sound (in the case of VT bass and stuff) then why don't you get one of those?

If your using it as a drive why don't you just drive your amp or just use a OD/dist pedal?

I saw a video A/B'ing the sansamp and Behringer and seemed next to no difference tone wise and any difference was in the Behringer's favour.

Really tempted to get a PT nano and just go tuner/comp/tv bass or behringer/amp
My current set up is
Tuner/comp/reverb/chorus/dist/big muff/amp

Like I said, I'm just trying to figure out why EVERYONE has one

I suppose it depends on how you use your bass. If you just like to plug in and play with the same tone all night then a pre will probably not be a lot of use. I play in jazz and take a solo from time to time. I like to cut all the mids for normal backing lines but the bass does not cut through the band when soloing with that tone. If I'm playing a bass that doesn't have an onbaord pre then an out board pedal is useful in that context.

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1384855089' post='2281401']
I probably play 60% of my gigs through different amps so its good to have a regular sound .
[/quote]

This. If I`m gigging through someone elses rig, I just set all eq flat (well in the hope that everything at midday is flat that is) and have all the eq from my Zoom B3 (inc amp-modelling) into their amp. Plus, whether using my amp or someone elses if going FOH I can DI from my B3 so it is my sound that the PA gets, and I can adjust on-stage volume/eq (if boomy due to acoustics) without the sound-man getting the hump as the signal from the B3 isn`t affected.

And if my amp fails, even when just using our own PA, I`ve still got my sound in my B3 so that goes into the PA to get me out of trouble.

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1385138818' post='2284939']
is a pre amp simply just an equaliser? ... feel stupid for having to ask but y'know ,...
[/quote]

It can be - but it can also be gain / drive etc. Effectively all of your amp except the power section.

If every venue had a nice big PA, I'd be happy to never carry an amp again!!

A Sansamp (or any other decent preamp) is a signal booster, a powerful EQ, a DI box, a ground-loop eliminator, a source for a tuner or personal monitor, and possibly several other things too.

The chances I'll need any one of those at any particular gig is (for the sake of having a number to play with) maybe one in a hundred, but if there are five different issues there then that takes the odds up to five in a hundred = one in twenty.

I play maybe 30 gigs a year. I always take my Sansamp. So far, it hasn't left the gig-bag. But I'm waiting ...

I use mine (DHA VT1 EQ) to get some valve crutch into my tone when I'm playing with the NWOBHM band. I mainly play a fretless HH Jazz into my amp and it's lovely and clean. My amp (SWR SM400) just won't do 'dirty'. It's ridiculously well designed and (try as I might) just won't break up anywhere near as much as I need for heavier sets.

It was tons cheaper to get a pre pedal than to buy a 400W valve head just for certain gigs.

Edited by paul_5

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1385140033' post='2284961']
A Sansamp (or any other decent preamp) is a signal booster, a powerful EQ, a DI box, a ground-loop eliminator, a source for a tuner or personal monitor, and possibly several other things too.
[/quote]

A Sansamp is primarily a FET based valve simulator designed to emulate a valve power amp (hence the name), all of the other things it does are nice bonuses.

OP raises a perfectly good question and it's more to do with the right tool for the right job. As touched upon in shep on bass thread thanks to Tayste.

If we simplify all a preamp is needed for is boosted the input voltage to be able to be amplified further by the power amp.
By that nearly every pedal I own is considered a preamp and any pedal with a level or volume control is too.
The rest is purely for sound. EQ for example different bell curves and centre points etc, another pedal I use to boost the signal is my compressor and another is my looped.
I also have a preamp/EQ pedal coming from Tom at COG.

The two pedals actually labeled as 'preamp' are more OD pedals than anything, and why don't I just use a OD pedal, well simply no other pedal I've tried sounds like how my 'preamp' pedals do.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1385242396' post='2286116']
I use mine (DHA VT1 EQ) to get some valve crutch into my tone. My amp (SWR SM400) just won't do 'dirty'.

It was tons cheaper to get a pre pedal than to buy a 400W valve head just for certain gigs.
[/quote]

Exactly! My LH500 just won't break up (which is one of the reasons I like it). I use my Behringer BDI21 (which cost less than thirty quid!!) to get a bit of grit when I want it. It alters the tone too, and although it does suck the mids (which is frustrating) I like the sound it gives.

Add a cheap pedal or buy an expensive replacement amp? Bit of a no-brainer really. B)

[quote name='Iheartreverb' timestamp='1385239846' post='2286076']
Are people using them into the effects loop of amps?
[/quote]

Nope. Between bass and amp input. :) Followed by a graphic pedal (frowny face) to replace some of the mids.... :rolleyes:

Edited by Conan