Why become a member? ×

Floating thumb technique - do you anchor on pickup when playing the E ?

tedmanzie

I've been trying to move from pick playing to alternate-finger fingerstyle, and it's coming along ok.
String muting is easier for me using floating thumb (combined with left hand muting), so I'm sticking with that.

The problem is I'm not finding it very natural to anchor on the pickup (P-bass) when playing on the E string. Partly because my pickup is screwed nearly to the body so there isn't much to anchor on, and also because i tend to pluck a bit more towards the bridge. So I have been 'floating' while playing the E string, kind of resting my hand on the body. But I can tell that its not very easy to be consistent when using that 'technique' and it tends to be sloppy.

So my question is whether to learn to anchor on the pickup when playing the E and just get used to it, or stick with hovering above the E and try to make it work?

Sometimes! Anchoring the thumb on the pickup gets you into the habit of only playing in that position, when sometimes you'll want to favour a plucking position nearer to the bridge for your rapid-fire 16th lines, other times you'll want to pluck closer to the neck for your long rounded reggae tones.

When playing away from the pickup, my thumb tends to just rest on the body of the bass, and moves up on to the E string when required.

In my P bass days I would always be on the Pup, but since going to 5 string and the need to move the thumb i now rest on the B string and move this to the E when playing the higher three strings so muting B & E. But should say I learnt left hand muting from the start to control note length. so left hand is still the main control. but could not play without a floating thumb now between bridge and neck depending on the sound i want, and the muting comes secondary.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1384606796' post='2278617']
I float all the time - I never rest on the pickup.
[/quote]

Me too.

I think it's better if you never rest on the pickup. That way you can change your right hand position easily without being "tied" to the position of the pickup.

Frank.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1384606796' post='2278617']
I float all the time - I never rest on the pickup.
[/quote]

so when playing on the E do you push against the body with your thumb/hand for a bit of stability, lightly press, or literally hover without touching the bass?

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1384608916' post='2278660']
so when playing on the E do you push against the body with your thumb/hand for a bit of stability, lightly press, or literally hover without touching the bass?
[/quote]

I had to go and try it, 'cos I couldn't recall...

I brace the top-end of my thumbnail against the pickguard / body.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1384609044' post='2278661']
There have been many threads on this.

Many of the "top" players anchor their thumb. Go through Youtube. You'll find hardly any "floating" thumbs.

It doesn't hurt anyones playing styles so do what comes naturally to you.
[/quote]

I've read several threads but I'm not talking about floating vs anchored, its specifically how to deal with the E when you are already using floating technique. Couldn't find the exact info I was after.

I can't work out how to mute the strings properly using the fully anchored technique so I didn't pursue it! ("if at first you don't succeed, give up") :)

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1384610048' post='2278683']
....I'm not talking about floating vs anchored, its specifically how to deal with the E when you are already using floating technique....
[/quote]

Isn't the point of "floating" that all strings are plucked in the same way? There is no difference between playing G and E strings.

It'll just take time to get it right.

Edited by chris_b

I think the OP's title is a bit misleading, and is maybe leading people off track.

Floating thumb, to me anyway is this [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnbUWWW1Abg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnbUWWW1Abg[/url] where the thumb is being used as a mute.

Then there's the traditional thing where the thumb is anchored either on the E string on on top of the pickup.

Then there's what the OP means, where the thumb and hand move about.

If you're only playing a 4 string, then you shouldn't really have a muting problem (I don't mean only in a derogative way).

Use the left hand fingers that you're not fretting with to mute the other strings. If you're playing the E string then I don't really see how the other strings would be ringing.

This is kind of why I personally think having a few lessons on basic technique is a good thing, especially when you first start to play.

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1384604373' post='2278578']

The problem is I'm not finding it very natural to anchor on the pickup (P-bass) when playing on the E string. Partly because my pickup is screwed nearly to the body so there isn't much to anchor on, and also because i tend to pluck a bit more towards the bridge. So I have been 'floating' while playing the E string, kind of resting my hand on the body. But I can tell that its not very easy to be consistent when using that 'technique' and it tends to be sloppy.
[/quote]

I dont think it is a problem that you are not finding it natural to anchor on the pick up. Few have mentioned the potential hand/wrist problems that can go with this technique. Granted, lots of top players use it and get away without any problems but others suffer because of it. The trouble is that it can take years to find out that you have an injury problem. IMO it is better to err on the side of caution and keep the wrist straight.

As for the Floating Thumb being "sloppy"......tell that to Todd Johnson ! ;)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4qNYPjpIiQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4qNYPjpIiQ[/url]

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1384611307' post='2278713']
I think the OP's title is a bit misleading, and is maybe leading people off track.
[/quote]

You could be correct, so for the sake of clarity here is the FT demonstrated.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU[/url]

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1384611478' post='2278718']
I dont think it is a problem that you are not finding it natural to anchor on the pick up. Few have mentioned the potential hand/wrist problems that can go with this technique. Granted, lots of top players use it and get away without any problems but others suffer because of it. The trouble is that it can take years to find out that you have an injury problem. IMO it is better to err on the side of caution and keep the wrist straight.

As for the Floating Thumb being "sloppy"......tell that to Todd Johnson ! ;)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4qNYPjpIiQ[/media]
[/quote]

I had the pleasure of spending a weekend studying with Todd a few years ago, he's an amazingly talented player. If you can master the floating thumb technique then it's very useful, especially for 5 and 6 string players.

I've just had a noodle to watch my right thumb. When playing the bottom E, I press the heel of my plucking hand gently onto the bass body, with my thumb hovering over the E string. To move to another string, I just slide the whole lot across the strings, muting the lower-tone strings with the side of my thumb. This way, I'm able to keep the same "shape" to my plucking hand and simply move across the strings as needed. Playing Fleetwood Mac's Dreams (all on the E-string), I started to rest my thumb on the pickup but found this confused me when I played the E-string in other songs. So, for me, my thumb is always floating and never anchored.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1384612343' post='2278738']
I had the pleasure of spending a weekend studying with Todd a few years ago, he's an amazingly talented player.
[/quote]

....and teacher !! I have a few of his DVD's and have always found that he has a great way of explaining things.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1384611307' post='2278713']
[/quote]

Sorry :unsure: , I thought there were only two techniques (anchored on the pickup vs floating thumb - by which I mean anchoring thumb on the string above the one you're plucking). Apologies for any confusion! :)

Scott Devine explains it in the video below, the thumb anchors on the string [i]above the one you are plucking[/i], and also rests on the other strings to mute them. In practice I find I don't need to go as far as resting the thumb on the D string. (skip to 06:40 if you're interested in what I'm trying to badly explain!)

[media]http://youtu.be/yDSAd29kJ0o[/media]

Edited by tedmanzie