Why become a member? ×

Advice please large rehearsal studio - combos to replace Ampeg

stringers

Hi, I hope this isn't another tiresome gearfest & I know it benefits us, however after having an ampeg endorsement for some years I've finally given up on them. We run a large rehearsal complex & have 50 bands a day come through our doors. We are looking to replace our ampeg BA115HP combos in the smaller rooms. I really want something that will inspire & motivate the young bass players & still satisfy the older bands. We have plenty of Markbass stuff, the larger rooms have vintage SVT, SVT4, Orange AD200 & SVT450H's all on ampeg 810's so the pros are pretty well serviced. It's the smaller rooms for the up & coming bands that I want to get right. What would be a superior replacement for Ampeg these days? Eden? Warwick? SWR? BTW this isn't a post sponsored by anyone else & is totally genuine. All opinions gratefully received, thanks for your time! p.s. cost isn't really the criteria, it's ampeg replacement - a modern equivalent that sound great & is versatile. (As ampeg seem to have lost it!). Thanks again. *apologies - moderator please can you move this to the amps section**

Edited by stringers

I've had a similar conversation with a small rehearsal space and they chose MarkBass 2x10 because it had the option to tilt backwards in a sort of monitor format.

However if you're looking for permanent installation kit then you don't need to pay premium prices for neo equipped, lightweight, cabs.

My personal favourites for 'rock' cabs are Aguilar DB series. Well made, bullet-proof construction, plenty of mid-range punch and have that classic rock look. Plus you see them on stages all over the world so they are something younger players might aspire to owning.

Downside is that they aren't cheap :(

I hear good things about the latest Hartke Hydrive gear and they have a lot of high grade endorsees so another brand younger players would aspire to own.

The only time my heart sinks, when I go into a rehearsal room, is when there's a trace elliot amp in there. I can never get a decent sound from them. When I play at festivals, I've noticed that the amps the PA company usually supply are either Ampeg or Hartke. I would go for Hartke if I were you, mainly because I can always get a good clear sound from the HA series amps without too much messing around. I'd keep away from the Hydrive combos as they're a bit underpowered.

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The only time my heart sinks, when I go into a rehearsal room, is when there's a trace elliot amp in there. I can never get a decent sound from them.[/font][/color][/quote]

Thank god someone said it finally! I've tried just about every TE stack and combo (except the V's) and I've found them all dismal sounding and underpowered.

Anyway, sorry, digressing - Hartke would be my choice as well - very transparent sounding as well so you can make of them what you want. Cab wise I'd have a word with Alex and get a bulk discount on Barefaced to be honest :) otherwise I'd look at Eden or Aguilar

Where's your studio based btw - I like the sound of somewhere where the options aren't limited to a 20 year old Laney combo or a Peavey TNT :)

Edited by BobVbass

[quote name='BobVbass' timestamp='1384332093' post='2275242']

Thank god someone said it finally! I've tried just about every TE stack and combo (except the V's) and I've found them all dismal sounding
[/quote]

😧 Dismal and under powered...... Really ????

[quote name='BobVbass' timestamp='1384332093' post='2275242']
Thank god someone said it finally! I've tried just about every TE stack and combo (except the V's) and I've found them all dismal sounding and underpowered.
[/quote]

I won't quibble over the "dismal sounding" bit but I'm amazed anyone can think they're underpowered. I never have to turn them past about 3 or 4 on the dial before they get to the "drown out everyone else" stage...

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1384558880' post='2278305']
I won't quibble over the "dismal sounding" bit but I'm amazed anyone can think they're underpowered. I never have to turn them past about 3 or 4 on the dial before they get to the "drown out everyone else" stage...
[/quote]

Yeah, seconded. There's a reason they used to be so popular on the sludge scene - you could get some right noise out of them!

The worst combo we have in our rehearsal space is an Ashdown. You can't get any volume out of it, despite the pretence of power and it just won't shape up - leaving me hoping to beat others to the Hiwatt or Peavey!

Ashdown has quite a diverse offering and pricerange in combos, sounds like you got stuck with a tourbus model instead of a Neo.

I'd like to draw your attention to a lesser known brand: Hevos
(I'm in no way or form affiliated with them btw) http://www.hevos.nl/en/combos

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1384304514' post='2275146']
I've had a similar conversation with a small rehearsal space and they chose MarkBass 2x10 because it had the option to tilt backwards in a sort of monitor format.

However if you're looking for permanent installation kit then you don't need to pay premium prices for neo equipped, lightweight, cabs.

My personal favourites for 'rock' cabs are Aguilar DB series. Well made, bullet-proof construction, plenty of mid-range punch and have that classic rock look. Plus you see them on stages all over the world so they are something younger players might aspire to owning.

Downside is that they aren't cheap :(

I hear good things about the latest Hartke Hydrive gear and they have a lot of high grade endorsees so another brand younger players would aspire to own.
[/quote]

Molan's possibly trying not to come on like an overbearing salesman (which he isn't) but I would have thought the Carvin combos that BassGear stock would be ideal for the B115s.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1384561546' post='2278327']
The worst combo we have in our rehearsal space is an Ashdown. You can't get any volume out of it, despite the pretence of power and it just won't shape up - leaving me hoping to beat others to the Hiwatt or Peavey!
[/quote]

You can get lots of volume out of an Ashdown, as long as you keep the bass EQ knob down to 9 o'clock or lower. These things suffer from having SHITLOADS of bottom end and subharmonics, which makes them sound very muddy and boomy. But when you cut those frequencies, you're rewarded with a very nice and useful tone. I have owned an ABM300 EVO II 2x10 combo with an ABM115 Compact extension cabinet, and I must agree, before I got that extra cabinet I couldn't get a decent volume out of it. But once I could put the full 325 watts to good use, it was LOUD.

But therefore I also agree I wouldn't place one in a rehearsal space. The EQ section of the higher end Ashdowns takes a lot of tinkering before you get a rewarding tone out of them that punches through the mix rather than pushing everyone else away or drowning in sub. Mine also had some reliability problems, it got very hot because I had to crank it so far to be heard and during rehearsals the thermal protection would sometimes kick in and it would suddenly be dead quiet.