Why become a member? ×

American Deluxe Dimension

Tripehound

Andertons (Guildford) are listing them at £1,450 for the 4 and £1,523 for the 5. Available to order.
[url="http://www.andertons.co.uk/electric-basses/pid30839/cid682/fender-american-deluxe-dimension-bass-iv-hh-in-violin-burst.asp"]http://www.andertons.co.uk/electric-basses/pid30839/cid682/fender-american-deluxe-dimension-bass-iv-hh-in-violin-burst.asp[/url]

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1387299035' post='2310442']
Basically, Ray 4 and Ray 5 prices...or thereabouts.

For that price, it HAS to be a Musicman.
[/quote]

Going by your username and avatar I'm guessing you already made your mind up! ;)

I have got an OLP MM3 5 String which I love, so I would probably err on the side of caution and go with the Musicman if I had to choose without without getting a chance to play them, but I do love the look of the Dimension!

[quote name='Jonnyboy Rotten' timestamp='1387299583' post='2310449']
Going by your username and avatar I'm guessing you already made your mind up! ;)

I have got an OLP MM3 5 String which I love, so I would probably err on the side of caution and go with the Musicman if I had to choose without without getting a chance to play them, but I do love the look of the Dimension!
[/quote]

I am biased haha! The Stingray has been 'the' bass since I was about 14. Now I'm 32 and I still choose them.

It is cool to see Fender branch out though.

[sub]Heard a 5 string one played in anger by non other than BC member Yolanda Charles a couple of months ago. Had a rosewood neck, she was swapping it for a maple neck. She'd been doing some promo for Fender with it but stopped short of saying she was an actual Endorsee! Sounded good in a drum, bass and guitar trio setting.[/sub]

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1387299035' post='2310442']
Basically, Ray 4 and Ray 5 prices...or thereabouts.

For that price, it HAS to be a Musicman.
[/quote]

except if, like me, you don't like SR5's narrow string spacing... it's the reason I don't own a SR5.

That's why I was looking at the Dimension with interest. The mexican version is less than half that (£600-something), and a very attractive Stingrayish sounding alternative for those who like the string spacing wider.

[quote name='grayn' timestamp='1387373510' post='2311198']
Definitely like to try one.
But on first sight, I'd rather go for a Stingray HH.
[/quote]

It looks like the single pickup version of the Dimension has the pickup at the Stingray spot, but the two pickup versions have the bridge pickup closer to the bridge, removing significantly its "Stingrayness" and making it more like a fat Jazz of sorts... hmmm.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1387421638' post='2311846']

It looks like the single pickup version of the Dimension has the pickup at the Stingray spot, but the two pickup versions have the bridge pickup closer to the bridge, removing significantly its "Stingrayness" and making it more like a fat Jazz of sorts... hmmm.
[/quote]

Interesting. But already having 2 single pickup Stingrays, perhaps a fat jazz bass sound would be cool.
Also, fom my experience, EBMMs always seem far nicer than high end Fenders. Just may taste, of course.

Just played a 4 string single H in Cayanne Red at Wunjos. Very nice bass, really well put together, good powerful eq and the pickup has tons of presence. I am impressed.

My only concern was that with such a short horn the basses will be consistently neck heavy, and this one was (but only marginally).

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1387421414' post='2311845']

except if, like me, you don't like SR5's narrow string spacing... it's the reason I don't own a SR5.

[/quote]

I had demo'd a few Lakland 35" wide spacing 5 string basses before I realised I may as well stick with EBMM for 5 string basses.

I found that after a few weeks, I adapted and started to prefer the 17.5mm spacing on their basses.