Why become a member? ×

Worth trying half-rounds?

Beer of the Bass

After trying a few different strings over the past couple of years, I'm realising that all of the strings I like are flatwound feeling but at the brighter end of flats. I like D'Addario Chromes or Ernie Ball flats for the first three months or so, then they get a little too dark for me. My current set of D'Addario Tapewounds have sounded good for around a year, but the E and A are starting to get a little too thumpy and I'd like something that feels just a touch stiffer.
Roundwounds, either nickel or steel don't really do it for me as I don't like the feel and they don't have the interesting attack and decay of flats. I like a sound with a fair bit of brightness and presence at around 2-3kHz, but not too much zing above that.
With that in mind, would half-rounds/groundwounds be worth a look, and do any brands stick out as being good or bad?

D'Addario half-rounds are good but I find them a bit sticky. I have used Status halfwounds a lot and they are less sticky as time goes on. However the sets I've had recently have had E strings that have very little tone in them compared to the other strings. D'addarios have been the same. The strings I do like are Thomastik Jazz Flats, JF344 set. Smooth as the baby's proverbial and have quite a bright tone. Cost a lot to begin with but last a long time.

After using flats for a while I got involved with a recording project. We had no end of issues with the lack of mids in my tone. I bought some D'Addario half wounds, hey presto, my mids were back. For me, they cut it live too, better than flats.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1383324991' post='2263249']
D'Addario half-rounds are good but I find them a bit sticky. I have used Status halfwounds a lot and they are less sticky as time goes on. However the sets I've had recently have had E strings that have very little tone in them compared to the other strings. D'addarios have been the same. The strings I do like are Thomastik Jazz Flats, JF344 set. Smooth as the baby's proverbial and have quite a bright tone. Cost a lot to begin with but last a long time.
[/quote]

I have a feeling that TI Jazz flats may be a little too flexible feeling. I had a set on a fretless a few years ago and liked them, but I tend to dig in quite hard when playing live and I've never quite managed to lighten up my right hand enough.
I suspect I'd enjoy the new LaBella white tapewounds, but a five string set of those imported in to the UK would be getting quite expensive.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

• 3 weeks later...

Status Half Rounds sound like they are worth a try, I use them and like the tone as it's not too dark and thudding like some flats can sound and the feel off them which is quite stiff, another plus is they aren't very expensive.

I tried the D'Addario's and didn't get on with the sticky feel they have.

This is my SR5 with the Status's on from last Sunday's rehearsal, it might not tell you much but it shows the bass still cuts through OK :)

https://soundcloud.com/ditd/mary-had-a-little-lamb

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1385111596' post='2284508']

I tried the D'Addario's and didn't get on with the sticky feel they have.

[/quote]
They're only like that when they are new IME

I used to use chrome flats all the time but am now a convert to the half rounds - yes they did feel sticky at first but the stickiness doesn't last long

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1385122117' post='2284659']
They're only like that when they are new IME

I used to use chrome flats all the time but am now a convert to the half rounds - yes they did feel sticky at first but the stickiness doesn't last long
[/quote]

Ah I didn't know that, the bass I tried them out on I sold quite soon after stringing it up.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1383324991' post='2263249']
[/quote]

Unfortunately I have to agree with you regarding the Status strings. I used to absolutely love their strings, specially the halfwounds, but the last couple of sets I bought seem a bit dead from the beginning. Even the roundwounds. Come one Status! Up your game!!!

[quote name='eddiehoffmann' timestamp='1385126957' post='2284752']
Unfortunately I have to agree with you regarding the Status strings. I used to absolutely love their strings, specially the halfwounds, but the last couple of sets I bought seem a bit dead from the beginning. Even the roundwounds. Come one Status! Up your game!!!
[/quote]

Aww, don't tell me that while I'm waiting for mine to arrive!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1383401750' post='2264089']
GHS Pressurewounds are a wonderful string.

Well worth a try.
[/quote]

I'm really itching to properly try some pressurewounds. I put some on my BB414 but the truss rod is stuck and now I have fretbuzz so its not a fair test. My Yamaha TRB is too long a scale length for the GHS ones, so I've ordered some Ken Smith Compressores which I'm reliably told are essentially the same strings. Since I had a relative working in the states over the last few months I put together a massive strings order which he's bringing home to me, problem is that I've got impatient waiting now.... :angry:

[quote name='eddiehoffmann' timestamp='1385496400' post='2289026']
How did it go with the Status halfwounds? I so want you to tell me the strings were all good!
[/quote]
I'll let you know when they get here! I had an email on Monday, letting me know they were back in stock and I think they put them in the post yesterday.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1385556773' post='2289562']
I'll let you know when they get here! I had an email on Monday, letting me know they were back in stock and I think they put them in the post yesterday.
[/quote]

Cool! Hopefully the new batch is up to the usual great standards again. I love these strings and it would be a shame not being able to use them anymore.