Why become a member? ×

Worth trying half-rounds?

Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1385587476' post='2290092']
Is the advantage of this type of string is just that they are easier on the fingers to play or do they add more thump to your bass?
[/quote]

It's a tone thing as well as feel, you get a bit more thud and less sparkle then round wound strings gives you, I find there is less noise from the frets to.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1385640768' post='2290504']
It's a tone thing as well as feel, you get a bit more thud and less sparkle then round wound strings gives you, I find there is less noise from the frets to.
[/quote] Thanks for that I may try these some time as I like more thump and not so much of a bright "twang" for want of a better word :) will have a good hard think about this as I am never happy with my strings I have tried lots of brands but none have really clicked with me I am using Picato strings at present and must admit I do like them I always used to use Ernie Ball strings but went off them as I did not think the price matched the quality. It is most likely in my head I am a nightmare always chopping and changing strings lol

Edited by Thunderbird

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1385642256' post='2290536']
Thanks for that I may try these some time as I like more thump and not so much of a bright "twang" for want of a better word :) will have a good hard think about this as I am never happy with my strings I have tried lots of brands but none have really clicked with me I am using Picato strings at present and must admit I do like them I always used to use Ernie Ball strings but went off them as I did not think the price matched the quality. It is most likely in my head I am a nightmare always chopping and changing strings lol
[/quote]
You might want to go all the way to flats and see how you like those first. It's a bit like Goldilocks sampling porridge...

I just put my D'Addario set on my new 6 string, and love them.

They really seem to compliment the bass.

They were sticky to start with, but that didn't last long.

Tonally they're very different to flats, they have a lit more brightness, and way less thud than flats.

I'm still waiting for mine (not a gripe about Status - they've let me know what's going on, gave me the option to cancel and haven't charged my card yet), so last night I decided my tapewounds had become too dead and stuck on a set of Dunlop nickel roundwounds I had lying around for a gig. Doing a gig with roundwounds for the first time in more than a year was quite interesting. I still don't like the feel of rounds, and I like the sound for certain things and not others. With a pick I could be quite happy with the sound of rounds, but fingerstyle or palm-muted they don't quite do it for me. I'm still hoping the half-rounds are a reasonable halfway house...

• 2 weeks later...

I won't be gigging them until tomorrow, but here are my initial impressions of the Status Half Wounds. They are just a touch less smooth feeling than flats, but they seem well made. They feel a little more flexible than a 45-130 set of Dunlop nickel roundwounds, and quite a bit more flexible than a set of Chromes in the same gauge. The sound does indeed have some elements of rounds and flats - the top strings have a touch more zing than the bottom strings, but the transition is quite gradual from string to string - no sudden jumps in brightness. They have that a bit of that punchy, flatwound-ish envelope that I like, but not too thumpy. So far I'm enjoying them.

Edit; After another half an hours playing this evening, I'm wondering if the E and B are in fact too thumpy for my needs. I'll have to try them with the band before I can be sure. I really want to like these strings, since it took Status ages to get them back in stock!

Edited by Beer of the Bass